Thread: THE TANGENT: new album Auto Reconnaissance / my interview with Andy Tillison

THE TANGENT: new album Auto Reconnaissance / my interview with Andy Tillison

The new Tangent album Auto Reconnaissance is due out in three weeks time and it is a cracking album! It was a joy to spend time with in preparation for my latest chat with Andy Tillison. Here's the interview, enjoy!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/off-...andy-tillison/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nice interview. I jumped off the Tangent band wagon pretty early. Loved the first, was okay on the next 2 and then got bored with them. This might be one I check out.

Nice interview, thanks!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Nice! Thanks for posting.

The Tangent are one of my favorite modern bands currently operating within the "prog" sphere, and anything Andy does nowadays will be auto-buy for me.

Thanks - excellent interview too! I pre-ordered this months ago. Very much looking forward to it. I've avoided listening to the preview tracks so I can absorb the album as a whole.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The release date was 8/21 and this album is now on Spotify. Did anyone get their preorder CDs from the band? Not complainin’ - I’ve got so much to listen to!

I love Luke Machin's guitar playing but I just cant get into this band, I think its the vocals and lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The release date was 8/21 and this album is now on Spotify. Did anyone get their preorder CDs from the band? Not complainin’ - I’ve got so much to listen to!
    Should be arriving soon. From FB it was explained that there was a delay beyond their control in getting the CDs to Andy to sign until just days before the release date. But if you did the pre-order thing and had received the download link for some of the work in progress files and demos, that same link should now have the album for download.

Patiently waiting here too - early reviews look great!

I am big fan of few The Tangent albums but I am afraid I found this new one really boring.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, but I did preorder it from Laser's Edge and it hasn't shipped yet. I'm guess there may have been some delay in manufacturing the CD?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    No, but I did preorder it from Laser's Edge and it hasn't shipped yet. I'm guess there may have been some delay in manufacturing the CD?
    No...just a delay in shipping from Germany. I expect to have them in stock (and shipping) either tomorrow or Wed.

^^ You must also take into account current delays in the USPS.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm liking this new disc. Maybe not as much as Proxy so far, which IMO was his best since 2013's Le Sacre du Travail (still my favorite Tangent record), but this is a good one and it will probably grow on me further over time. I'm glad Andy continues to find inspiration to write and make music.

I have only had a few spins so far, and musically it is very strong indeed, great playing from all contributors. Andy’s world view and sense of humour match my own, but I’m not convinced I will play Jinxed in Jersey on each repeat visit, once a tale like this is heard it does not reveal hidden layers on subsequent spins. I do enjoy the whole though, and it is another worthwhile addition to a varied catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I'm not convinced I will play Jinxed in Jersey on each repeat visit, once a tale like this is heard it does not reveal hidden layers on subsequent spins.
    I guess you're right here. It was the same thing with A Few Steps Down the Wrong Road and its surprise ending

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I’m not convinced I will play Jinxed in Jersey on each repeat visit, once a tale like this is heard it does not reveal hidden layers on subsequent spins.
    I don't see a big difference between that and any other 'story' song where the lyrics are sung instead of spoken, really. What I especially love about that track is the musical journey between the sections. Great stuff!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Lots of great stuff on this album. Andy's singing sounds better than ever here (for those who may not have liked it in the past). This album feels more detailed or layered than some other recent ones? But I've only heard it a couple times.
    <sig out of order>

This album is incredible!!

I absolutely am floored by the centerpiece 30 minute track "Lie Back & Think of England" I listened to it again this morning on the way to work and teared up during sections of it. I need to sit down with the lyrics to get everything said (not easy to do while driving) but the emotional plea for understanding between people was so moving. The uilleann pipes, the call back to "In Earnest" from "A Place in the Queue" and the closing section where Earnest repeats his plaintive "I beg you in earnest for nothing more" - just thinking about it now I'm feeling it. It doesn't get much better than this - this is the music we love. What an amazing composition.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    This album is incredible!!

I absolutely am floored by the centerpiece 30 minute track "Lie Back & Think of England" I listened to it again this morning on the way to work and teared up during sections of it. I need to sit down with the lyrics to get everything said (not easy to do while driving) but the emotional plea for understanding between people was so moving. The uilleann pipes, the call back to "In Earnest" from "A Place in the Queue" and the closing section where Earnest repeats his plaintive "I beg you in earnest for nothing more" - just thinking about it now I'm feeling it. It doesn't get much better than this - this is the music we love. What an amazing composition.
    I agree. I listened to that entire track on the drive to work yesterday and found myself speeding during those emotional sections.
    <sig out of order>

By request, I also published a separate review for anyone interested. It's a shorter read than the feature interview, and focuses on the album itself.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...nce-insideout/

I just ordered my copy today. Can't wait to hear it. The Tangent is one of the very few bands still on my 'autobuy' list. I think their last four albums have all been killer work. And I love Luke Machin's guitar work. If Andy keeps putting them out, I'll keep buying them.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I just ordered my copy today. Can't wait to hear it. The Tangent is one of the very few bands still on my 'autobuy' list. I think their last four albums have all been killer work. And I love Luke Machin's guitar work. If Andy keeps putting them out, I'll keep buying them.
    If I have one complaint about recent Tangent albums (and I don't have many) it's that they don't feature quite enough guitar work from Luke. Maybe his solo album will remedy that.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    By request, I also published a separate review for anyone interested. It's a shorter read than the feature interview, and focuses on the album itself.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...nce-insideout/
    Nice! My copy of the CD arrived today but I haven't had the chance to hear it yet. But that review makes me wish I had! I really love this band.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm really enjoying getting to know this release. I have even listened to the Jersey tune at least three times and it's still putting a smile on my face. Maybe that's because I'm a Jersey boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Nice! My copy of the CD arrived today but I haven't had the chance to hear it yet. But that review makes me wish I had! I really love this band.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I'm really enjoying getting to know this release. I have even listened to the Jersey tune at least three times and it's still putting a smile on my face. Maybe that's because I'm a Jersey boy.
    I still get a laugh when the guy says "What are you doing on this side of the water?" and Andy says "Of course, I don't realize I'm on any side of any water..."