Thread: Toronto in danger of losing concert venues: a grim future for live music

Toronto in danger of losing concert venues: a grim future for live music

I thought this was an interesting article. I fear the city will keep losing little pieces of its character with each venue lost. We will miss out on live shows but also be stuck with a sea of condos and mega-chain stores and restaurants. It's grim.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...down-1.5663655
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Yes the landscape for live music is looking very bad.

I stopped to have lunch on the patio of a place that we've played regularly with our cover band in the past - he has no idea at all when he will be able to have enough people in the bar to make paying a band worthwhile.

If he can only have 30% of his normal capacity it isn't doable - and feels like that will be the case everywhere for the foreseeable future.

Although I sympathize with venue owners and in general, the live music scene, I'm not that disappointed..for being the 4th largest city in North America, Toronto has very few real music venues. Most live music is available in bar like venues, only interested in selling beer...we are fortunate to have a decent community theatre selection in the GTA, where you can sit down in comfort, at a reasonable hour and enjoy live music as it should be enjoyed. It is these venues that I feel for the most.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

And since playing live is the only way to make money anymore, that doesn't bode well for music as a whole.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

This is likely going to be the case all over unfortunately.

Toronto isn't the 4th biggest city in North America though. Look at metro area sizes as cities have all kinds of artificial city limits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_population

Dave Sr.

Chicago has almost 3.5 million more people than Toronto in its metro area. 'City' is not the category you want to be looking at; it's an arbitrary administrative/political category

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Chicago has almost 3.5 million more people than Toronto in its metro area. 'City' is not the category you want to be looking at; it's an arbitrary administrative/political category
    This is becoming a pissing contest and not the intent of the thread. However, both Toronto and Chicago have defined city boundaries that do not include the surrounding or greater areas. In this regard, the population of Toronto is larger than Chicago. I'm done...
    Dave Sr.

Oh yeah??? My city is bigger than your city!!!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Uh oh. It's turning into a big cityin' contest.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Both Chicago and Toronto are world class cities.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 05:22 PM.