Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Magma

A Guide to Magma

I just found this and unlike a lot of the other YouTube clips where people discuss Magma, this fellow knows what he is talking about and he brings a fine sensibility to his discussion. If you have 38 minutes, this is well worth watching.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Very enjoyable! This guy did a great job on this.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Indeed! I was quite impressed.

And it made me dust off my copy of Zess. Listened to the whole thing in one sitting. Man, what an enjoyable piece.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Indeed! I was quite impressed.

And it made me dust off my copy of Zess. Listened to the whole thing in one sitting. Man, what an enjoyable piece.
    I also gave it a spin a few nights ago I like it better each time around, although the beginning section when CV goes into the "rant" still gives my attention span a slight workout. All in all its a wonderful album and the beautiful thing about it is that it's unique even within their catalog. I left a comment for the reviewer congratulations and also encouraged him to join PE
    Last edited by chalkpie; 07-27-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Ι love Zess! The first time I listened to it tears were springing from my eyes.

I like other Magma works more, but no other album of theirs made me cry. It's sort of a good, kind version of Magma, like Darth Vader (pun intended) repenting.

Agreed...that was great. And I also need to revisit Zess after not being too sure what I thought about it. Also I haven't heard Felicite Thosz for ages.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Agreed...that was great. And I also need to revisit Zess after not being too sure what I thought about it. Also I haven't heard Felicite Thosz for ages.

Matt.
    Those were the last two Magma albums I played and I truly enjoyed the living cream cheese out of both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Those were the last two Magma albums I played and I truly enjoyed the living cream cheese out of both of them.
    I got to see Felicite Thosz live in 2013, which was brilliant.

I got to NOT see Zess in 2003 as there was a really bad snow storm in the UK whilst I was heading into London, so we were a good hour late. Walked in during the Om Zanka section of K.A...which was mind blowing!!

I also gave it a spin a few nights ago I like it better each time around, although the beginning section when CV goes into the "rant" still gives my attention span a slight workout. All in all its a wonderful album and the beautiful thing about it is that it's unique even within their catalog. I left a comment for the reviewer congratulations and also encouraged him to join PE
    I hear you, regarding the CV rant near the beginning. My mind kinda wanders at that point, but the rest of the album is really wonderful. Like you said, it's unique in their discography, which maybe I didn't really appreciate at first but it has grown on me with each listen over the past year. It has a surprisingly positive energy about it too.

Hope that guy joins PE -- would be great to have him here!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Ι love Zess! The first time I listened to it tears were springing from my eyes.

I like other Magma works more, but no other album of theirs made me cry. It's sort of a good, kind version of Magma, like Darth Vader (pun intended) repenting.
    Love this. Thanks for sharing.

I got to see Felicite Thosz live in 2013, which was brilliant.
    Man, I love Felicite Thosz so much. The tracks "Duhl", "Tsai!", and "Ohst" when taken together in sequence might be in my top 3 all time favorite Magma performances on record. It reaches heights that are positively celestial. Perhaps Magma has had some crossover with Offering in later years, but that's all right with me.

The live performance must have been something special.

I got to NOT see Zess in 2003 as there was a really bad snow storm in the UK whilst I was heading into London, so we were a good hour late. Walked in during the Om Zanka section of K.A...which was mind blowing!!
    That's a bummer you didn't get to see Zess, but getting to see any of K.A. must have been awesome!

I like the Triton version of Zess and the new version of Zess- they are very different and the recorded version, the new one, is so uplifting and celestial.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I like the Triton version of Zess and the new version of Zess- they are very different and the recorded version, the new one, is so uplifting and celestial.
    Is that Epok IV?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Man, I love Felicite Thosz so much. The tracks "Duhl", "Tsai!", and "Ohst" when taken together in sequence might be in my top 3 all time favorite Magma performances on record. It reaches heights that are positively celestial. Perhaps Magma has had some crossover with Offering in later years, but that's all right with me.
    I'm totally with you - I looove Felicite.

I Watched KA and Köhntarkösz last night from the ER DVD....OK the ending of Köhntarkösz might be the greatest thing they have ever done....jaw-dropping, especially MacGaw's and Bussonnet's solos. Simply unbelievable.

Beyond belief- that is the most amazing guitar solo ever. Jagged, dissonant, ultimately so far over the top that over the top has no meaning.

Beyond belief- that is the most amazing guitar solo ever. Jagged, dissonant, ultimately so far over the top that over the top has no meaning.
    The Mekanik solo on the Trianon DVD took some beating...but I think James managed it on Kohntarkosz. It's scary.

Just out of interest, does anyone prefer K.A/KOHNTARKOSZ/EMEHN to THEUSZ/WURDAH/MEKANIK as a trilogy?? I almost prefer the later trilogy but feel that Emehntehtt Re gets a little bogged down at the end.

Matt.

I've been watching all the Triton DVDs I'm on the fifth one right now. I also got the offering Triton DVD yesterday. I've been getting into a lot of the Soliel Zeuhl bands. I wish I had Eider Stellaire though.

The Mekanik solo on the Trianon DVD took some beating...but I think James managed it on Kohntarkosz. It's scary.

Just out of interest, does anyone prefer K.A/KOHNTARKOSZ/EMEHN to THEUSZ/WURDAH/MEKANIK as a trilogy?? I almost prefer the later trilogy but feel that Emehntehtt Re gets a little bogged down at the end.

Matt.
    I don't think I could choose one over rhe other. So much brilliance scattered amongst both Trilogies. I am going to watch ER tonight as I missed that last night so I'll get a refresher on it. Love the album a lot.

Inedits - "KMX - BXII - opus 7" - Jannick Top !

Matt.
    You know... this is a very good question, Matt. I think if I had to pick a single favorite Magma album -- gun to my head -- it would be Ẁurdah Ïtah. MDK is also just about unimpeachable for me. And yet, I don't like Theusz Hamtaahk all that much...

But man, K.A., Köhntarkösz, and Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré -- wonderful stuff. I think "Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré II" (including Hhai) is my favorite Magma song ever. I've probably listened to it more than any other track in their discography.

I agree that ER does get a bit bogged down though in the latter half.

I just ordered Epok 1 and 4 from Seventh....very good deals there for the EPOK DVDs. All I am missing now is Epok 3. Gonna watch the ER concert again tonight...well right now...the Kobaian bug bit me again.

Kohntarkosz is the greatest composition of my life. I have heard it hundreds if not thousands of times, in various iterations and there ain't a bad one among them. Seen it live- twice!- was mind altering and life changing. And I have one version on CD I saw live- Chicago 1999. But the Epok version is superb- Benoit's keyboard solo is amazing, then live Hhai version is great, and so is the one from the ER trilogy- and and and and... They are all spectacular.

Kohntarkosz is the greatest composition of my life. I have heard it hundreds if not thousands of times, in various iterations and there ain't a bad one among them. Seen it live- twice!- was mind altering and life changing. And I have one version on CD I saw live- Chicago 1999. But the Epok version is superb- Benoit's keyboard solo is amazing, then live Hhai version is great, and so is the one from the ER trilogy- and and and and... They are all spectacular.
    Yeah man - I can see it. It's so, so deep in a gazillion ways. That performance on the ER DVD might be one of my favorite moments in all of music - regardless of genre. The playing is beyond stunning but the emotional aspect almost tops it - It's up there with Cardiacs, Can, Ravel, Sibelius, Mahler, Coltrane, Hatfield, Ian/Tull, etc for me which says it all.

How is the KA and ER performance from earlier EPOK 3 differ from the later ER Trilogie DVD?

I just ordered Epok 1 and 4 from Seventh....very good deals there for the EPOK DVDs. All I am missing now is Epok 3. Gonna watch the ER concert again tonight...well right now...the Kobaian bug bit me again.
    You need Epok 3! If for only one song Last Seven Minutes alone!
    I have had the Zeuhl bug like crazy lately too.
    I've been buying a lot of Soleil Zeuhl stuff from Wayside...a ton!
    I also got the Triton Offering dvd/ 2cd set too.

Is the new version of Ẁurdah Ïtah. With the 20 min demo version worth getting?
    I would have probably already bought it through wayside, but they don't have it.
    I can get it as an import for $30, but I already have the other version...? Hmmm?

Yeah man - I can see it. It's so, so deep in a gazillion ways. That performance on the ER DVD might be one of my favorite moments in all of music - regardless of genre. The playing is beyond stunning but the emotional aspect almost tops it - It's up there with Cardiacs, Can, Ravel, Sibelius, Mahler, Coltrane, Hatfield, Ian/Tull, etc for me which says it all.

How is the KA and ER performance from earlier EPOK 3 differ from the later ER Trilogie DVD?
    The ER is much shorter...stopping after Zombies, which in some respects works better as a piece for me.