Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Magma

I've seen bits and pieces of this but not collected in full:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

in Epok II, who is the guy singing all the waty to the left with small sunglasses on? I'm confused in the musicians listing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ll watch this YouTube video later - sounds cool!

Speaking of guides to Magma, Expose printed one back in the ‘90s that was very useful. I recently found my old Expose issues but that issue may be missing. I’m going to check the Exposé site and check with Peter Thelen, who I believe wrote it if I don’t see it in their archives as people here might like to read it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here’s the Exposé feature. It covers the ‘70s.

A Short History of Kobaïan-Earth Relations —
    Magma in the 70s

http://www.expose.org/index.php/arti...f-magma-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    in Epok II, who is the guy singing all the waty to the left with small sunglasses on? I'm confused in the musicians listing.
    James Mac Gaw!
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    James Mac Gaw!
    Duh...I'm losing it! I didn't make the connection! Thx
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

MDK and the rest of EPOK II was killer. When you look at Jannick Top's bass technique, his RH is bent and it looks awkward, but man he gets it done! He was articulating near the fingerboard too, but it just seems to work for him. As far as I'm concerned that particular vocal line-up was 'it' - I don't see it getting much better than that with Stella, Antoine, Himiko, Isabelle, and then Klaus suddenly appears out of a sparkling cloud of Kobaian fairy dust - oh yeah. I love watching Vander during Top's bass solo - his gaze is certainly intense and a bit frightening. I could honestly watch the entire gig again and just focus on Vander's playing the entire time - his sense of time and overall musicality is just miraculous...he is just so dynamic and musical. Some jackass gave this 3 out of 5 stars at PA...really?
    Last edited by chalkpie; 07-30-2020 at 10:59 AM.

MDK and the rest of EPOK II was killer. When you look at Jannick Top's bass technique, his RH is bent and it looks awkward, but man he gets it done! He was articulating near the fingerboard too, but it just seems to work for him. As far as I'm concerned that particular vocal line-up was 'it' - I don't see it getting much better than that with Stella, Antoine, Himiko, Isabelle, and then Klaus suddenly appears out of a sparkling cloud of Kobaian fairy dust - oh yeah. I love watching Vander during Top's bass solo - his gaze is certainly intense and a bit frightening. I could honestly watch the entire gig again and just focus on Vander's playing the entire time - his sense of time and overall musicality is just miraculous...he is just so dynamic and musical. Some jackass gave this 3 out of 5 stars at PA...really?
    I understand him. I'm a bass player and I honestly think Jannick was not up to his "golden era" game on that gig. His solo pieces were not really in line with the rest of the set and his performance was just underwhelming compared to Bussonnet's.

He matured as a much tamer bass player and that muddy tone with subdued high end he went for is just blegh for Magma.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

I just watched all three interviews on the sixth triton dvd Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Trilogie . Chalkpie, all those dvds are fantastic. I just have to watch the trilogy live and I'll only have the Offering dvd to watch.

There is good info on that trilogy and the interviews made me want to pay closer attention to the studio version of Köhntarkösz

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Wow - that's a nice little nugget huh? I remember asking Vander at the hotel during Nearfest what his favorite Coltrane album was, and he told me Ascension. I actually didn't have that one but I bought it the next week when I got back.

Wow - that's a nice little nugget huh? I remember asking Vander at the hotel during Nearfest what his favorite Coltrane album was, and he told me Ascension.
    Hardcore!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hardcore!
    Oh yeah....that album is still a workout and a half for my grey blob of silly putty. Its still not even in my top five fav Trane albums but I have made some in-roads over the years. His playing seems to be near or at his peak here though....he can execute basically any musical idea that pops in his head. His chops were beyond masterful there.

Ascension is killer. It's even better than Baphomet

Ascension was the first jazz record I ever bought, after John Sinclair (MC5 manager at the the time) recommended it when I was just 14 years old, in 1967. I put it on and had no idea what to make of it. Took several years to get to understanding it- but it is certainly one of the greats.

Ascension, Sun Ship, Transition, and A Love Supreme are my favorite Coltranes. Vander has a good taste 😃

On the Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Trilogie DVD, Herve is fantastic on this version of Köhntarkösz.
    The addition of the vibraphone to this trilogy is nice.
    I do miss the violin, but I have that version on CD and Vinyl to listen to.

If anyone has been hesitant on buying the six Triton DVDs, I suggest them all. I see that Seventh has a few on sale and I know wayside music has some too. I think maybe one of them may be harder to get? (Maybe vol 3 or 4)

I wonder what is next for studio albums?

Oh yeah....that album is still a workout and a half for my grey blob of silly putty. Its still not even in my top five fav Trane albums but I have made some in-roads over the years. His playing seems to be near or at his peak here though....he can execute basically any musical idea that pops in his head. His chops were beyond masterful there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Ascension was the first jazz record I ever bought, after John Sinclair (MC5 manager at the the time) recommended it when I was just 14 years old, in 1967. I put it on and had no idea what to make of it. Took several years to get to understanding it- but it is certainly one of the greats.
    Yeah, it has great rewards! But I was in no way able to process it on first encounter when I was maybe nineteen...it took quite a few years before I could meet it on common ground. I think if it had been the first jazz record I ever bought, I might never have got to my second...

My very favourite among the late period Coltrane albums is Interstellar Space, though. Never was a record better named...a voyage of pure freedom that seems far beyond this world.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    On the subject of Zorn and avant-jazz, have you heard his recent piano trio (Brian Marsella / Trevor Dunn / Kenny Wolleson) album Calculus? Seriously good. I'd say he's on a streak at the moment, but with him that's an almost meaningless statement.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 08-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Bandcamp Profile

Were we one the subject of Zorn and avant-jazz? :-)

I love John Coltrane above all others. Love his music, no matter from when. But he music from 1964 to his death is so beyond amazing. My favorite Coltrane is Transition, which was the first jazz record that made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Ascension, Sun Ship, Transition, and A Love Supreme are my favorite Coltranes. Vander has a good taste 😃
    I spun Africa/Brass and Sun Ship yesterday. Loved both to bits. I definitely connected with Sun Ship more than Ascension. I think this album bridges the gap between something like A Love Supreme and Ascension. There is still some hard bop groovin' happening, but also something even more profound. Insane stuff....this band was so locked and one, spiritually speaking. Trane is treating sound itself as his method of communicating, rather than playing like half-diminshed or whole-tone scales (for example, although I'm sure its there also). I can almost see a beam of light as his sound (visually speaking), and the way the light shimmers, bends, melts, expands, morphs, etc becomes his prime mode of expression. Maybe that sounds crazy but that's how I relate to his late period playing. Of course he is doing this on Ascension, Interstellar Space, etc....Blue Train this ain't! I don't think I will ever fully grasp just how intense and amazing Trane truly was, his music from the mid/later 60s still pushes my ears to their fullest in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Were we one the subject of Zorn and avant-jazz? :-)

I love John Coltrane above all others. Love his music, no matter from when. But he music from 1964 to his death is so beyond amazing. My favorite Coltrane is Transition, which was the first jazz record that made sense to me.
    I will spin Transition today...I have the CD. I love Interstellar Space also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Yeah, it has great rewards! But I was in no way able to process it on first encounter when I was maybe nineteen...it took quite a few years before I could meet it on common ground. I think if it had been the first jazz record I ever bought, I might never have got to my second...

My very favourite among the late period Coltrane albums is Interstellar Space, though. Never was a record better named...a voyage of pure freedom that seems far beyond this world.
    Right on man...I have always loved Interstellar from the first time I bought it. It works at Christmas time too, complete with jingle bells

Right on man...I have always loved Interstellar from the first time I bought it. It works at Christmas time too, complete with jingle bells
    True that!

Going on an even further tangent: there's a tribute / cover album by Nels Cline and Gregg Bendian, Interstellar Space Revisited from 2005 that is also really great, with Nels' distorted guitar reprising the Trane role. It's one of my favourite free / improv albums of the current century.

Bandcamp Profile

I would add to the discussion First Meditations and the first side of Ole Coltrane: the combination of Dolphy/Coltrane and the two bass players marks for me a highpoint in music.
    I feel less for Interstellar Space than Sunship and Transition (these 2 are glorious). Interstellar Space is magik, but I just can't bear the intensity of it for too long.