Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How would you say prog evolved in the past 20 years?

^Love Jˇhannsson myself, but there's not too much parallell to begin with, I think. Driver started out pre-Maudlin with an idea of transcending the "avant-metal" badge, although I personally don't think he did so until forming Kayo, whose lyricist -Jason Byron- from what I grasp is a published poet et al.

He counterplaces the mechanism and mandate of vocals, though - and their nature differs radically from instance to instance - but I wouldn't want to hear pieces like "Immortelle" or "Right Hand" without them for the life of me.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^Love Jˇhannsson myself, but there's not too much parallell to begin with, I think. Driver started out pre-Maudlin with an idea of transcending the "avant-metal" badge, although I personally don't think he did so until forming Kayo, whose lyricist -Jason Byron- from what I grasp is a published poet et al.

He counterplaces the mechanism and mandate of vocals, though - and their nature differs radically from instance to instance - but I wouldn't want to hear pieces like "Immortelle" or "Right Hand" without them for the life of me.

I listened to a part of his 2018 album, which to me in some way reminds me a bit on Johannsson. I don't really listen to lyrics, it is just that with this music I don't really like vocals.

A minor point...Byron was actually part of Maudlin's core, and only became involved with Kayo Dot until a few albums in (Hubardo possibly?). Regardless...agreed, he's an excellent lyricist.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    A minor point...Byron was actually part of Maudlin's core, and only became involved with Kayo Dot until a few albums in (Hubardo possibly?). Regardless...agreed, he's an excellent lyricist.
    Yes I know, I was unclear as to what I meant. His lyrics are profoundly present on Bath and Body Map. But Byron is (obviously) neither involved in the last handful of "retro-80s goth" Kayo releases, so this wasn't what I was pointing at. I was merely stating that lyrics were always a highly integral and determining component of the wanted outcome, whether as overriding poetic concept (in Hubardo, from Byron's) or in my own favorite, Coyote; here as prose on Driver's private sentiments at the cancer-death of a personal friend and her imagined nightmares towards the end of her life cycle. The general idea being that even at his most "non-rock" - as on the Library Loft release - Driver sees the delivery of direct message as crucial to musical outline. Does it always "speak"? Probably not, but when it certainly -does- work it's often got something to do with the mark of Words.

"Amaranth the Peddler", closing tune of Dowsing Anemone, serves as example. That's a near-14 minute tune containing very few verses of word, yet that tale of inner reflection and repent does the whole thing absolute service in that the piece itself has its protagonist emerge as a mental lock on atmosphere. I didn't realize this until I found the lyrics online, as they are printed in all too small letters on the booklet, but those words need to be read along with the sonic.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Aaaah...ok, sorry I *did* misunderstand

To Kayo, Normal Love, SGM, Extra Life, Orthrelm and a small handful of others, add that fresh Behold... The Arctopus, Hapeleptic Overtrove. This is literally like nothing I ever heard. I like it, I'm enticed/beguiled/fascinated - but I can't yet tell if I really dig it. Ask me in a cuppa years.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    yeah its a great album
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    yeah its a great album
    I played it 3 times and its indeed very skillful and highly original yet I made 0 emotional connection with it. I have not entirely given up on it but I doubt it will be one for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

This is true. And this is where the Magma reference does apply; just like them, Driver invented a whole new instrumental expression (or "language") for his vision, one in which detail always serves a sense of contemplation and where dimensions such as time/duration are actively sought aschewed from that focus on detail. In his mind, immediate moment appears to be the clue - and unity or coherence emanates or generates from not a succession of such moments but from their interaction.
    Bingo
    bass player and singer in an occult heavy prog band called Papangu. Sung entirely in Portuguese.
    https://papangu.bandcamp.com/