Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Peter Green

The one I played after his death was announced yesterday was the 1972 Greatest Hits, which remains a superb, concise collection.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Then Play On (2013 Remaster). One of the great British Blues albums of the 1960s. Also their debut Fleetwood Mac (some releases listed as "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac").
    This was the first ever CD release of the UK album. The extra tracks also had the first CD release of the single version of 'World In Harmony'. It will be in an upcoming box of their entire 1969-74 output for Reprise.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...0bbe69044ee84a

The Blue Horizon period is messier. The CD reissues with extra tracks sound good, but studio chat/false starts were inserted in between the master takes. This is because the contents of the 6cd Blue Horizon Sessions box was simply ported over for the separate reissues.

The one-off Immediate single 'Man Of The World'/'Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight' slips through the cracks of these releases above. In fact, it's worth trying to find this now very old, deleted CD set which has most of their Blue Horizon work (as it was originally released) and the Immediate single.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Original...elease/3240146
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:41 PM.

Listening to a PG solo album...The End of The Game.

What a massive talent. One of the best of the best.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Does anyone know if it’s him playing uncredited guitar on Peter Bardens “Write My Name in the Dust?” I’d heard something about that but it seemed unconfirmed.
    On my LP-version of Peter Bardens' Vintage '69 Write My Name In The Dust is the only track for which Peter Green isn't credited for playing the electric guitar. Vic Linton is the guitarist on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    This is a favorite - from his 1979 album - with Pete Bardens on organ:

Mine as well, partly also because some fine help from Snowy White.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP. Never been into Fleetwood Mac but I've only read praise for the early albums. I need to explore those early albums.
    Along with Black Magic Woman, Green wrote this one, that was later re-done and made famous by Judas Priest. You might be familiar with the Priest version:

Peter Green tributes from Stevie Nicks, mems of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Deep Purple, Kiss, more

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/peter-...-stevens-more/

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Just listened to original versions of:

Black Magic Woman. It's killer. More bluesy than the latiny Santana cover.

Green Manalishi. As heavy as Judas' cover. Heavy AF. Very influential.

When I was young, "The Green Manalishi" and " Oh Well " were regular FM staples. Done by Fleetwood Mac. So was "Hypnotized," but that one wasn't the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac.

Listening to the 1st FM album right now. More great stuff, especially considering how young these guys were.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The one I played after his death was announced yesterday was the 1972 Greatest Hits, which remains a superb, concise collection.

This was the first ever CD release of the UK album. The extra tracks also had the first CD release of the single version of 'World In Harmony'. It will be in an upcoming box of their entire 1969-74 output for Reprise.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...0bbe69044ee84a

The Blue Horizon period is messier. The CD reissues with extra tracks sound good, but studio chat/false starts were inserted in between the master takes. This is because the contents of the 6cd Blue Horizon Sessions box was simply ported over for the separate reissues.

The one-off Immediate single 'Man Of The World'/'Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight' slips through the cracks of these releases above. In fact, it's worth trying to find this now very old, deleted CD set which has most of their Blue Horizon work (as it was originally released) and the Immediate single.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Original...elease/3240146
    That 1969-74 Fleetwood Mac box is also coming out on colored vinyl, for those interested:
    https://store.rhino.com/fleetwood-ma...red-vinyl.html

Jon Neudorf
    Been one huge Mac fix lately. This is very sad. RIP.

the ONLY Fleetwood Mac recordings I have are with Peter Green.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the ONLY Fleetwood Mac recordings I have are with Peter Green.
    Yes indeed! I do have one recording with Bob Welch from The Record Plant in 74.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Along with Black Magic Woman, Green wrote this one, that was later re-done and made famous by Judas Priest. You might be familiar with the Priest version

If you can get over the plump bloke in black leather and the general Metal silliness of it all, the Judas Priest version of Green Manalishi is great. One of my favourites from the Peter Green period was Peter Bardens’ Homage to the God of Light, featuring a ‘contractually anonymous’ PG.
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know