Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Green

RIP Peter Green

Just saw this on FB: " Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green has died at the age of 73, it's been confirmed by his solicitors.

The statement said: "It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...wMC7WavSq3-RlA

Wow!

One of the all-time greatest "feelers" of the six-string. He left some marvellous guitarwork during those early years ('65-70), although his further talents were probably squandered.

I held his tone in extremely high personal regard, and it reflected in my own guitarplaying although I never really cared for the following ubiquitous schools of "emotional" stringers.

"Green Manalishi" it is tonight, then. Including the acoustic/impressionist part two.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

RIP to a giant of blues rock. The best line I ever read about Green described him as " the terminally shy skinny kid who could rain down fire from the heavens and draw water from the wells of hell on a guitar."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I knew nothing of early Fleetwood Mac until I picked up a copy of Live at the BBC.. After that I looked for anything with Peter on it. Loved his playing..
    FMac.jpg

Incredibly sad. A stellar career cut short at it's apex, not unlike Syd Barrett. And although he came back, he never had the same impact. One of the great blues musicians of the 1960s and early 70s, Green could live inside an Elmore James or Robert Johnson song like he was sitting in their kitchen. So the next time you hear "Oh Well", "Green Manalishi" or "Black Magic Woman", know that those are Peter Green songs.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Wow... And only 73.

One of the greats of his era.

After hearing this news I decided to pull out "Then Play On" for a listen, which I am playing as I write this. What a terrific talent this guy was. 73 is too young to go.

Then Play On is a masterpiece.

When he returned with the Splinter Group I was glad he found the ability to play again. Put out some very acceptable music.

RIP, one of my favorites.

I almost watched a Peter Green doc on Prime Video a couple of days ago. Now I simply must.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

R.I.P Peter Green

I can not say anything else.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was just talking to my son about him two days ago! I actually haven’t much of him but I’ll rectify that now.

Does anyone know if it’s him playing uncredited guitar on Peter Bardens “Write My Name in the Dust?” I’d heard something about that but it seemed unconfirmed.

RIP

Such a terrific guitar player. RIP.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

R.I.P.

My older brother used to rave about him and I didn't catch on to his musical genius till years later. I recall one year surprising him for his birthday with a just-released 2-cd tribute to Green with everyone from Ken Hensley to Southside Johnny to Arthur Brown. This track from Ian Anderson really stood out from that tribute disc:

Yes, a very sad day. He was so great with Fleetwood Mac, for such a short time. In Mick Fleetwood's book on the group, he said he cries about Peter still.
    I saw Peter twice in San Francisco, but sadly never with FM. The second time Santana jammed on Black Magic Woman. The touch was there, but not the fire.
    The acoustic set was lovely. I waited for his autograph. He never looked up. RIP Peter.

This is a favorite - from his 1979 album - with Pete Bardens on organ:

RIP. Never been into Fleetwood Mac but I've only read praise for the early albums. I need to explore those early albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP. Never been into Fleetwood Mac but I've only read praise for the early albums. I need to explore those early albums.
    Some folks aren't aware Santana borrowed this song from Peter Green. That's Green and the late, great Danny Kirwan trading riffs....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Very sad. Among my all-time favorite blues guitarists. Great blues singer, too. Rest in peace. Not many will ever play as well.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I only found out BMW by Santana was a cover about 40 years ago. I've heard the Mac version.

Rest in Peace Maestro!.

My little tribute this morning:
    From YT:

Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac (1968 1976 ) video r
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkfpJwugqy4

Regards!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    R.I.P.

He has always held a high reputation among people whose opinions I trust. His legacy is one of those trails I've intended to follow for awhile now. Suggestions welcome.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    R.I.P.

He has always held a high reputation among people whose opinions I trust. His legacy is one of those trails I've intended to follow for awhile now. Suggestions welcome.
    Then Play On (2013 Remaster). One of the great British Blues albums of the 1960s. Also their debut Fleetwood Mac (some releases listed as "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac").

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    R.I.P.

My older brother used to rave about him and I didn't catch on to his musical genius till years later. I recall one year surprising him for his birthday with a just-released 2-cd tribute to Green with everyone from Ken Hensley to Southside Johnny to Arthur Brown. This track from Ian Anderson really stood out from that tribute disc:
    Ian sounds very decent here when he is singing in the correct range and not trying to belt out like he did in the golden era 70's and early 80's. This is the best I've heard his vocals in many years.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

R.I.P. Peter! Great inspiration since I discovered him through his comeback 1979 with In the Skies!.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

The only FM version that I liked was his.
    Loved his EoG solo album.

As for the rest of his carrer, I bought the Blue Guitar blue vinyl... had no idea at the time that it was a compilation of his next three solo albums of his return. (I thought Kolours was not good at all, though)
    https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Green-.../master/361737
    Saw him twice live in the last 20/30 years.

RIP, Peter. Thanks for the music.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.