Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR YOUR MEMORIES OF PE's HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Yeah...this is why I would say it's a big gain IMO. This behavior seems to be less rampant on the new PE and it's hard not to think the two are related.

Not to dredge up the dreaded 'clique' debate (although I guess its appropriate for a highlight/lowlight thread), but it definitely feels like a bigger more together community since the switch from the old site. Again, its hard not to think this is definitely part of that change.

BH, I find the "clique" thing to be less of a hurdle or drawback in the last few years.

When I joined, I knew I had to be very careful about what I posted here, because in some ways it was "dangerous" to be inexact (just as it would be on the Steve Hoffman forum), or to argue with some mainstay for fear of having his buddies gang up on you. Stupid unfounded fears. If cliques existed at all, it is because back then there was a real community sense, where most Unitedstatians and Upnorthians members had actually met each other at different gigs or festivals.
    This "awe" is further prolonged because you've got "stars of the industry" (read label owners, book authors, site owners, musicians, etc...) that post here regularly.
    I dare say that indeed the passing to 3.0 has helped smoothing some of the still-sharp edges of 2.0, in terms of members conduct.

I know it's still not easy for some (sometimes semi-high-profile characters) in their attempts to join the place (though I'm probably not helping either), and I've criticism written elsewhere about the "unfriendliness" of the place, something that I don't experience at all.
    Last edited by Trane; 07-27-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Some on PA certainly still have an inaccurate perception of the current PE perpetuated by a few individuals. Personally I never found an issue here but I may have a partcularly thick skin or just be fairly oblivious.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Uporthians
    Um,..What planet are they from? Do they require an Aqualung in order to breathe our atmosphere?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    BH, I find the "clique" thing to be less of a hurdle or drawback in the last few years.

When I joined, I knew I had to be very careful about what I posted here, because in some ways it was "dangerous" to be inexact (just as it would be on the Steve Hoffman forum), or to argue with some mainstay for fear of having his buddies gang up on you. Stupid unfounded fears. If cliques existed at all, it is because back then there was a real community sense, where most Unitedstatians and Upnorthians members had actually met each other at different gigs or festivals.
    This "awe" is further prolonged because you've got "stars of the industry" (read label owners, book authors, site owners, musicians, etc...) that post here regularly.
    I dare say that indeed the passing to 3.0 has helped smoothing some of the still-sharp edges of 2.0, in terms of members conduct.

I know it's still not easy for some (sometimes semi-high-profile characters) in their attempts to join the place (though I'm probably not helping either), and I've criticism written elsewhere about the "unfriendliness" of the place, something that I don't experience at all.
    I agree with all of this. It's definitely feels more welcoming and more of a whole community (as opposed to several smaller communities stitched together) in recent years.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    The high point for me came after a personal low point. I lived in Biloxi during Hurricane Katrina and had six feet of water in my house. I evacuated, but didn't take much. My entire cd collection was on the ground floor and I lost most of it. I happened to mention this to Duncan and then a few weeks later box after box of cds started arriving in the mail donated by PE members. I can never thank every one who helped out enough!

I had no idea Supp passed away. Got a baptism by fire from him when I first joined in 2002, but partied with him on the hill at NF 2006. He was a decent guy.

All the music discovered through PE, way too much to list.

And one of my favorite quotes of all time was said by a PE member, whose name I can't recall right now.

"There are two truths in life. Cats are dicks and prog guys ruin everything"
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

After a few years of chatting with Progeezer here, finally meeting the man ,himself and Kay(RIP) when they returned to NYC for a visit.Good times.Hoping we can meet again.

Be well Geeze.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Can anything compare to Adam Baruch (happily long gone) 'publishing' a rating here of all vendors with, of course, his vending business being 'scientifically & unbiasedly proven' by his ratings to be the best?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Can anything compare to Adam Baruch (happily long gone) 'publishing' a rating here of all vendors with, of course, his vending business being 'scientifically & unbiasedly proven' by his ratings to be the best?
    He was a knowledgeable guy. I have bought some Pekka Pohjola CDs from him.
    I've seen some review he wrote on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    He was a knowledgeable guy.
    There've been knowledgeable guy who were jerks, though. Just look at Wallace. He knows/knew his stuff (well, most of it, anyway), but completely infuriating to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    There've been knowledgeable guy who were jerks, though. Just look at Wallace. He knows/knew his stuff (well, most of it, anyway), but completely infuriating to deal with.
    I never had problems with Adam, though he might have been promoting his shop a bit to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not the easiest guy to deal with (to say the least and stay polite), so I never ended up ordering from him.
    He did have a cool Swinging London jazz section in his catalogue, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I never had problems with Adam, though he might have been promoting his shop a bit to much.
    If he carried the CD, you couldn't open a thread without seeing Adam tell people they could buy it as his shop. He would also Private Message members (who didn't ask him to) regarding his shop. When critics (other members and/or PE admin) asked him to stop, he eventually went so far as to accuse people of anti-semitism. He was passive-aggressive and had a persecution complex. So from my perspective, "a bit too much" is an understatement.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    If he carried the CD, you couldn't open a thread without seeing Adam tell people they could buy it as his shop. He would also Private Message members (who didn't ask him to) regarding his shop. When critics (other members and/or PE admin) asked him to stop, he eventually went so far as to accuse people of anti-semitism. He was passive-aggressive and had a persecution complex. So from my perspective, "a bit too much" is an understatement.
    Glad to see someone else missing him in the same way I do....!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Glad to see you miss him as much as me!
    Indeed. Generally speaking, I think we tend to look back to negative events that happened in the past with rose colored glasses once we are "over them". I suppose that's better than dwelling on them. But it's important to remember that there were a few on PE over the years that were either consistently annoying or downright assholes. It really doesn't matter to the people they annoyed/harassed that they were "just joking" or "cool in person". And we lost many good members over the years because they didn't want to deal with that element.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I nearly quit because of Supp and then Omega Monkey. I actually did stay away from PE for months because of Jeg, that miserable little asshole. I am glad I came back, especially considering how many members I connect with now on other platforms.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    My highlights are all the music that I've been introduced to, both old and new.

The one big lowlight for me was the maltreatment of Trurl and the virtue signalling twats that blew a silly little jokey comment out of proportion and caused him to leave and never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've started doing that again since I got back into vinyl this summer - it's the best!
    Yeah, but I’ll bet the prices are far different these days. Back in the day, I doubt that I ever paid more than $2.50 for an album - and I still have some with 25 cent stickers on them. Even on a college student’s budget, you could afford to “splurge” on occasion.

I also used to pick up unknown albums based on one or two listed musicians, or the listed keyboards/instrumentation used (does anyone even list that sort of thing anymore?). I found cover art to be a less reliable indicator of what was to be found between the grooves. On the other hand, I think I picked up some DESPITE the cover. Fireballet’s second release specifically comes to mind - I’m pretty sure that was a 25 or 50 cent pick-up. AWFUL cover.

It was a great way to spend a day - and to have the anticipation of something to look forward to afterward. The closest I can come now is trolling the “Artists you may also like” links on Spotify. It’s just not the same - and it’s frankly too easy to discover so much that you can never find the time to listen to it all.

Another funny was the cranky keyboardists Geoff Downs & Martin Orford. Buncha Yuppets & Pirates, yee scurvy!!!!

I remember trading CDs with a guy in Finland. I send him Golden Earring CDs and got Pekka Pohjola CDs in return.

There was a guy under the moniker Brian Griffin (Family Guy). A good conversation regarding music and a die hard St Louis Cardinals fan. He left the site after someone posted a photo of that perv Jared from Subway in a Cardinals jersey.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There was a guy under the moniker Brian Griffin (Family Guy). A good conversation regarding music and a die hard St Louis Cardinals fan. He left the site after someone posted a photo of that perv Jared from Subway in a Cardinals jersey.
    Oh that's why he left (?), I do miss him, we talked a lot About 70s Italian Prog..

^ I never saw that incident, but if he left for good over that, he was probably looking for the exit anyway.

Well, I can't even remember when I joined (early 2000's, I think), or how I found out about PE, but it's still an everyday visit (usually several times a day). In recent times, it's become the only place I can interact with others about Prog. Most of my friends who were into this kind of music have died, or we only talk once or twice a year.

I visit this forum everyday, but I will probably never meet any of my fellow PE posters in person, because of where I live, so I have a rather abstract perception of the people here (although I pay attention to the differents styles and personalities on display) and not many stories to tell.

Highlights would be discovering so many artists, old and new, thanks to the many knowledgeable persons posting here, and generally reading balanced and funny views on various topics.
    Lowlights... I don't know. I could mention those mammoth Yes threads, which could be studied by future generations as examples of strange discussions, but to be honest I view them as highlights, because they are so entertaining.
    There are so many dark places on the net that I tend to view PE as one of the quietest and most refreshing places to be when I'm online. Thanks for that.

Happy Birthday Lino!