Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR YOUR MEMORIES OF PE's HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS

LOOKING FOR YOUR MEMORIES OF PE's HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS

In a conversation today with some of the moderators and some of the moderators and administrators of the old versions of PE, we've decided to collect and save our collective memories of PE's long and storied history.

Please can we ask you contribute your memories of 4 things:

1). Stories:

If you have a good recollection of any of our high points, low points, or strange incidents - please can you write ONE PARAGRAPH in this thread, to summarize the memory.

That includes "interesting" activities at any of the past festivals (if PE members were involved).

Note :
    We are not looking for extended conversations about those incidents. Feel free to open new threads for that. We just want a summary of each of the incidents / activities / stories...

2). Relationships:

We know of several couples who met on PE, or at least, who cultured their relationships here - and married or developed long-term relationships.

Please let us know who they are, and how those people are doing today.

3). Losses:

Let us know the names of PE members who have passed away.

4). Personalities:

We've had many really really interesting characters. Please highlight some of the more memorable people and their contribution to - or destruction of - the fabric of PE. (But be gentle with any criticisms )

Those of us in today's conversation are pretty sure we know most of the stories and personalities, but we thought it would be appropriate to loop in everyone's memories and make sure we have a comprehensive history of life in PE to-date.

When we've collected your memories, we'll find a way to save them for the long-term.

Looking forward to renewing some old memories!
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Omega Monkey's love of Porcupine Tree comes to mind!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

High point. Getting my mind blown, around 2001, when finding out threw this site, that there were tons and tons of prog bands, both old and new, out there world-wide, that I had no idea existed!

Low point. Well, it hasn't happened too much to me, but dealing with the occasional extremely combative, belligerent and/or flat-out douche bag members! For the most part, everyone around here is awesome.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yanks was certainly a personality who has passed, never cared for his politics but had plenty of entertaining back and forth on music.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Ken, from NJ - Can't remember his screen name but he posted a lot and was quite interesting. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I think of the highlights for me was when I started a Doctor Who thread on the old PE, and it not only went to somethign like a hundred pages. That sort of thing happens once in awhile. It's kinda gratifying when it does, for some reason.

As good as my memory is with a lot of things, certain things, it's not so good, and right now, I'm having remembering much of anything else on PE, really, beyond what pops up on the main page. Some of these threads that are like a year or more old that get resurrected, I'll sometimes post something, and then go back and then find that I made the exact same comment, like three years ago. I recall there was a thread about albums that had never been reissued, and when it popped up, I said "I'm not sure if I posted on this thread before, and I'm not reading all 15 pages, so here's my list", and then someone said that not only had I commented during the thread's earlier life, but my list was almost exactly the same. As Zathras would say, "At least there's symmetry" (or as Adrian Belew might say, "I remain consistent"). I do that a lot on Youtube, too: I'll post something on a video and then read the comments and realize I made almost exactly the same comment like 9 years ago or whatever.

Damn, I'd have to go bakc and read some of the old threads to think of other highlights (and the old threads only cover the current iteration of PE, so I can't think of too much before the last diaspora or whatever you want to call it). I've met a lot of really nice people from PE, some of whom I think aren't hanging around anymore, people like Ray Ricker, Cyndee Lee Rule, Jeff Nutkowitz, Plonk, and a bunch of others, I'm sorry if I can't think of everyone's names.

As for stories, one that sticks out in my mind is Cyndee and Jeff offering me their third row seats for Magma's second NEARfest performance (the one where they effectively the first three sides of Live/Hhai, plus dropping the US premiere of Emehtenhet Re on us). That was really cool of them, they knew I was a really huge fan, and they weren't going to be able to stay for Magma (their own band was opening for Hawkwind in Allentown, I think it was), so they graciously gave me that invitation.

I think it was Plonk who picked up dinner for a bunch of us, one year at NEARfest, I remember there was...I forget who all, me, Ray, Holly, Alex Cruzetta, and a bunch of others, all went to eat at this one restaurant, and when it came time to settle up, Plonk is like "I got this". And I forget who it was said "Now, remember, that's Plonk! So be nice to him online!". lol

It feels like there should be other things I should remember, but I don't at the moment. Maybe someone else will say something that will remind me of something.

As far as lowlights, dealing with Omega Monkey comes to mind.

I joined in 2002 after I met a couple guys at a Kansas gig. Not much to add but I remember PE being wild and wooly back then. I can only think of 1 or 2 members I may have had clashes with. In the last 4-5 years I've done all my posting has been on my phone, so I limit posting anything too long winded (which is a good thing). You can usually tell on weekends that I've sprinkled oregano in my beer from the silly posts i make.....

circa 1998, the original yahoo group PE.

Highpoint, the support I got when my mother died. There still should be a printed thread of it, somewhere at my dad's house.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ken, from NJ - Can't remember his screen name but he posted a lot and was quite interesting. RIP.
    I believe it was Arkangel

Highpoint #1: Finding music I would have never discovered on my own if not directed there by members.

Highpoint #2: Discovering I can mute people. So peaceful.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I lurked on the previous version of PE ( 2 or what have you ) for a number of years and posted a couple of times when it was music related.
    Was never comfortable with the 'not too far removed from RMP' vibe that also kept me a lurker there.
    I like this version much better and have made some IRL acquaintances as a result.
    It might not be as 'free wheeling' for some folks, but I like the moderation efforts to keep the trolls and unbalanced on a short lead.

I have found so many new ( and old ) bands here that I would never had exposure as well as getting me out of the house to festivals.
    That in itself is worth a huge amount to me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

The ability to mute people, yeah.

Because if my inexpensive barbecue grill-venture somhow goes soiled and ignites the whole damn forest, I can easily just skip outta there and simply decide that the incident never took place at all, seeing as I didn't have to stay there to witness it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Loads and loads of great music I'd never have found otherwise. Made a bunch of friends, some of them IRL (hi mark!), feels like a community here with its own vibe, something that has turned some coming here off. I love it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Here's what sticks in my mind:

-Joining PE in 2002 and discovering all the amazing international classics of prog that I missed.
    -Finding out about NEARfest and attending seven of those exceptional festivals.
    -PE was significant and supportive of my band Helmet of Gnats in 2004 when we released our second CD. This led to quite a few invitations to perform, including 2012s NEARfest Apocalypse.
    -I always found PE a pretty friendly group, with only a couple of crotchety yet harmless old dudes.

I don't post that much anymore, after eighteen years of posting,I kinda got all progged out.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Having spend some time with forum-members:
    With Beth and some guy spend time in the Mauritshuis and Delft, together with my dad.
    Went to Amsterdam to spend some time with Anita.
    Went to Amsterdam to meet Progeezer and Trane.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I believe it was Arkangel
    Ken Walsh / Arkangel
    Regards,

Duncan

People who have passed away:

Ken Walsh / Arkangel
    Keith Ling / Jubal
    Mike (??) / SuppersReady
    Kay / ProfGeezer's better-half (not a "member", but we all knew her)
    ProgUK
    italprogfan
    Johanna (screen name something to do Bruford..?) Prog Owl's sister.
    Thomas Arena / Yanks2012

(Who have I missed?)
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:25 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Ken Walsh / Arkangel
    Keith Ling / Jubal
    Mike (??) / SuppersReady

(Who have I missed?)
    Yanks
    Ian

Has Supp passed away? Our gunslinging bad-mouthed guy?

You missed Yanks, who always wrote extensive reviews of Nearfest.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    crotchety yet harmless old dudes.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

A memory that will stick with me for a long time is when L (Mysterious Traveller) Perez's wife Spider got sick and a bunch of the musicans on PE came together to do a tribute/fundraiser cd that wound up being three cds.

A person I miss: Z-bop.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    A memory that will stick with me for a long time is when L (Mysterious Traveller) Perez's wife Spider got sick and a bunch of the musicans on PE came together to do a tribute/fundraiser cd that wound up being three cds.

A person I miss: Z-bop.
    I think I added a track to that CD.

Z-bop I remember as well, I think I send him a card, when his mother died.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Ken Walsh / Arkangel
    Keith Ling / Jubal
    Mike (??) / SuppersReady

(Who have I missed?)
    ViolinCyndee's husband, I believe his name was Jeff, but his screen name is escaping me en este momento.

I first learned of PE while waiting for tickets for my first NEARfest in 2002.I met Floyd and Kevin Feeley and both always remembered me at later shows.The classic line from Floyd at that first meeting being "I don't do sports"