Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Tim Smith

I can't get out of this phase, it's like what happened back in January with Neil Peart, and suddenly my entire collection was meaningless other than the Rush albums. I've got work to do, I'm supposed to be listening to my review copies of the new Tangent and the new Gungfly in preparation for upcoming interviews next week, the new live IQ has arrived... all I can do is look at them while I spin Cardiacs CDs. I've gone through almost everything the last two days, revisiting so many favourites and allowing myself to be taken on those Cardiacs journeys that have been so special to me over the years. It's like these melodies were composed for me and me only.

Looks as if a day is gone.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I can't get out of this phase, it's like what happened back in January with Neil Peart, and suddenly my entire collection was meaningless other than the Rush albums. I've got work to do, I'm supposed to be listening to my review copies of the new Tangent and the new Gungfly in preparation for upcoming interviews next week, the new live IQ has arrived... all I can do is look at them while I spin Cardiacs CDs. I've gone through almost everything the last two days, revisiting so many favourites and allowing myself to be taken on those Cardiacs journeys that have been so special to me over the years. It's like these melodies were composed for me and me only.

Looks as if a day is gone.
    This happened to me, and it was measured in years. There are only a few precious musical discovery/journeys that overwhelm one's senses and entire being during a life - Cardiacs were definitely one for me. I think when fans are saying that Tim's music changed their lives, I can personally relate and know exactly what they mean. I think he knew this with the outpouring of love he received.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The first track I'm going to play is Dirty Boy, but it may take me a day or two. I am too much of an emotional wreck right now. Ennio and Dr Tim within a few weeks. Two absolute giants we have lost.
    Chalk: Over the years, it seems that you've stolen the words from my mouth many, many times. We have much in common, buddy.

Yes, this one REALLY hurts, especially after losing Ennio.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I loved your post, and linked to it on my Tim Smith Twitter thread tribute. I welcome any Tweeters (but certainly no Woofers) to join me there. (link below)

BTW, was PE the forum where you discovered Cardiacs? It certainly was for me, way back in 2003, and in a very similar manner as yourself. There were actually 2 people here who got me going, and I just wish I could remember their usernames to thank them profoundly, properly & profusely.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    my obit on my fb page. sadly to be expected but heartbreaking nonetheless:
    Can you post a direct URL to this? I'd love to add it to my Twitter thread, which is here:

Attached Images Attached Images
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

My Cardiacs memory

Its 1988 and I was still a young prog head. It were not the classic bands that interested me, but the newer younger bands like Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night and Pendragon were the ones I could identify with the most. I had a subscription to this Dutch magazine called Sym Info and somewhere in 1988 there was a review of an album by a band called Cardiacs. The name rang a bell; was that not that band that was pelted of the stage as the support act for Marillion a few years earlier? They must be crap!

I started reading the review. It started something like this : “A cross between Genesis and the Sex pistols, is that possible? Noooo!!!!!, will thousands of deeply shock progheads immediately shout out. Alas folks, the monster lives.“
    My curiosity was immediately aroused.

At the end of this (very positive) review was a contest. Win this CD! All you had to do was answer the following question: Who borrowed Cardiacs his Mellotron for the recording of Little man? The answer (Martin Orford) was not that hard because it was in an interview with Tim and Sarah in the same issue of Sym info. I put my answer on a postcard and send it. A few weeks later I found the CD in my mailbox.

At the first listen I really was not sure whether I liked them or not. It was all a bit ‘wild’ for my by Marillion and IQ polished ears. Still, I could not deny there was some demonic attraction in the music that kept pulling me back. No too long later I saw them live in Amsterdam. Those theatrics, that tight playing, big volume, enormous energy, Sarah and, above all, all that FUN! THIS WAS THE BAND THAT I WAS SEEKING!!!!!!

Been a fan ever since.
    And Marillion? Never looked back.
    Last edited by thedunno; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:29 AM.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My Cardiacs memory

Its 1988 and I was still a young prog head. It were not the classic bands that interested me, but the newer younger bands like Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night and Pendragon were the ones I could identify with the most. I had a subscription to this Dutch magazine called Sym Info and somewhere in 1988 there was a review of an album by a band called Cardiacs. The name rang a bell; was that not that band that was pelted of the stage as the support act for Marillion a few years earlier? They must be crap!

I started reading the review. It started something like this : “A cross between Genesis and the Sex pistols, is that possible? Noooo!!!!!, will thousands of deeply shock progheads immediately shout out. Alas folks, the monster lives.“
    My curiosity was immediately aroused.

At the end of this (very positive) review was a contest. Win this CD! All you had to do was answer the following question: Who borrowed Cardiacs his Mellotron for the recording of Little man? The answer (Martin Orford) was not that hard because it was in an interview with Tim and Sarah in the same issue of Sym info. I put my answer on a postcard and send it. A few weeks later I found the CD in my mailbox.

At the first listen I really was not sure whether I liked them or not. It was all a bit ‘wild’ for my by Marillion and IQ polished ears. Still, I could not deny there was some demonic attraction in the music that kept pulling me back. No too long later I saw them live in Amsterdam. Those theatrics, that tight playing, big volume, enormous energy, Sarah and, above all, all that FUN! THIS WAS THE BAND THAT I WAS SEEKING!!!!!!

Been a fan ever since.
    And Marillion? Never looked back.
    Unbelieveable. I posted the same story as above in the Cardiacs Facebook group and I got the following reply:

Bert Hilhorst
    Joost de Wall You can be my ghostwriter from now on! I also came from neoprog through Sym Info into Cardiacs by winning the CD and seeing them first time at the Paradiso. Remarkable!

He also attached the review I was talking about:
    Cardiacsreview.jpg

Translation:
    Is there such a thing as a crossing between the music of let’s say Marillion and Pink Floyd with that of The Residents and The Sex Pistols? Hopefully not will be the answer of thousands of deeply shocked progheads. Regrettably friends: the monster lives.

Cardiacs is the name of the English bunch of multi-instrumentalists that spawns this music. They gave birth to a musical Monster of Frankenstein, a tonal Freddy from Nightmare on Elm’s Street. The most beautiful polished sounds end up in total anarchy, uncouth raw rock seamlessly morphs into symphonic bombast. And the worst thing about all this is that this record evokes a demonic attraction, a Siamese newborn that belongs to be in every record collection.

Amiga Symfonica of all countries unite yourselves at Stonehenge and gather around this hybrid. Symphonic rock will never be the same again.

WARNING: The Cardiacs perform coming May 13th at Het Paard in The Hague and on May 15th at Paradiso (Counter tone festival).

STILL PIGHEADED? Then answer the next question: Which member of IQ indirectly contributed to the Cardiacs album?
    Send you answer on a postcard to Sym-Info, mailbox 187, 3190 AD Hoogvliet. A recommendation: answer succinctly but most of all wrong. Otherwise you run a life-long risk of soon receiving one of the five free CD’s in your mailbox

Man, was that guy right about the life-long risk.
    Last edited by thedunno; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:01 AM.

Wow, Joost... Thanks for sharing that.

Was surprised to see his death covered in the local daily newspaper here in Ottawa yesterday. Can't recall ever seeing such an obscure figure covered in their "Entertainment/Celebrity Gossip" section before. Usually it's all Drake, Kim and Kanye, etc.

My first impression of Cardiacs, or maybe just Tim...I'm sure he was influenced. So English.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

[QUOTE=Tangento;988492]

Can you post a direct URL to this? I'd love to add it to my Twitter thread, which is here:

[CENTER][URL="https://twitter.com/Tangento/status/1285908708485206018?s=20"]
    ::Tim Smith Twitter Tribute::

here you go … try this: https://www.facebook.com/immoerik.ha...19071556754614

it’s on my twitter as well (as screenshots): https://twitter.com/ManVersusMedia/s...94697543847937

thanks!

Not unexpected. Of course, death should never be unexpected. I never got to see Cardiacs, but they were tops on my list. Thank you so much, Mr. Smith, for all your fantastic work!