Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Alvin Lee

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Is "I'm Going Home" that fast blues boogie number?
    Yup.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I kind of saw Alvin Lee by accident a number of years back. We were at Summerfest in Milwaukee and were jut wandering around to different stages and came upon The Everly Brothers. I am not really a fan, but was kind of surprised at the number of songs I recognized, and also was being very impressed by the band’s guitarist. I thought he looked familiar, but could not place him. Sure enough towards the end of the show The Everly’s introduced the band and the guitarist was Alvin Lee. He was very impressive even in a backup role.

Steve Sly

RIP. All I remember was the Woodstock footage and the one radio hit. I remember he set the world on fire for a while, although he seemed marginalized compared to all the other guitar gods of the era (all the usual English suspects). Just never heard much about him or the band in general after Woodstock.

RIP Alvin..I was going over my Alvin Lee/TYA/TYL vinyl last nite and concluded that my some of my favorite work from him was the Ten Years Later - Rocket Fuel album..also was fortunate to see him live back in the 80's, as part of a "mini Woodstock" revisited show ..also on the bill was Richie Havens ...

I saw him in the 80s with Roger McGuinn (solo acoustic) and Steppenwolf. I thought he was great. My wife hated him, because she thought he was kinda smug. Whatever.

Certainly one of the great players. He did take some heat over his runs seeming similar, but that was his sound, man. Zappa also had some fun at his expense during some shows. It would be nice to see a retrospective or tribute of some sort.

Does anyone know what type of surgery he went in for?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw him in the early 80's at the Reading Rock Festival. He was one of the highlights for me, loved it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Whaaaaaattt???....

Bbbbb.... bbbbbut, I wanted to see him another ten times (seen him about that many times) before I left the building...

RIP, Alvin...

Your band was my mascot band for years (those in Toronto seeing pinball top scores credited to TYA... it was me...)

RIP.....

and thanks for all those marvellous moments in my teenhood fondling my tennis racket's strings and handle to the sound of your Gibson E355
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Whenever I listen to "Watt", this album just seems like a precursor to prog to me. I always thought that Alvin Lee was lumped in with "shredders", when there was just so much more to him than speed.

Quote Originally Posted by reztab View Post
    Whenever I listen to "Watt", this album just seems like a precursor to prog to me. I always thought that Alvin Lee was lumped in with "shredders", when there was just so much more to him than speed.
    Not sure it's the right place to start a TYA album merits sequence, but I find Watt and Shhh!!! the "boogier" albums in TYA's discography... certainly more so than Undead or Stoneghenge beforehand, or the excellent Cricklewood, Space In Time and RnR Music... which were progier than the two I mentionned.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sad New - Alvin Lee passing

Very sad news to report.... Ten Years After guitarist, Alvin Lee, passed away on March 6th in Spain. He died from complications after a routine surgical procedure was performed.

He will be sadly missed. Alvin was 68 years old.

http://www.alvinlee.com/

Respect to Alvin Lee; thanks for many hours of musical pleasure. Love the first three TYA albums especially.