Thread: The sudden proliferation of somber piano music in Covid-related TV commercials

The sudden proliferation of somber piano music in Covid-related TV commercials

You know the ones. First there's the reverb-drenched piano, then you hear "In these uncertain times...". I've heard car manufacturers, plumbers, lawyers, air-conditioner repair companies, fast-food restaurants, basically anybody who wants you to know that they are still here for you. Hearing so much of this kind of music on TV in the middle of the summer is just another bizarre side-effect of the pandemic. It made me want put on some Erik Satie (which I did and thoroughly enjoyed).

There is one particular ad for a disinfectant here in Australia that I find really annoying. The voice-over woman sounds like she's about to burst into tears over her concern that we all look after ourselves and each other. It hasn't even been established that this disinfectant is effective against COVID-19. If you want to waste a minute of your life it's up on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

These ad agencies are pushing the heck out of the "we're here for you" crap. Sad that such an obviously-false sentiment works on some people. All of these fast food places pushing contact-less delivery and such - all because they suddenly care. lol No, they are just trying to survive in these crazy times.

Where is Sarah McLachlan when you need her?

I am so sick of anything about the virus. As soon as I see one of these "all in this together" ads, click, onto another channel. I'm certainly not going to replace the windows in my house because some maudlin pitchman tells me how concerned he is about my safety.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I hate those totally disingenuous COVID-19 focused commercials. “We’re not just in it for the money, we care about you!” What a load of phony corporate BS!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I hate those totally disingenuous COVID-19 focused commercials. “We’re not just in it for the money, we care about you!” What a load of phony corporate BS!
    Totally agree. I picked up on that in April. I was already tired of all the catch phrases. You all know which ones.

Just heard a Covid commercial on the radio. No somber piano, no catchphrases, etc. Now they're begging people to wear masks (which they should've been doing from day one).

^ But masks are part of the hoax that those stupid science people and Democrats came up with!

Moe, I get the sarcasm. I feel lucky here in this "hot spot." I stay in a 5 mile radius of home. Everywhere I go, EVERYONE is masked up ( since April). I haven't heard any reports of violence in stores in Miami because of mandatory mask policies. Every time I hear/read stories of people losing their minds because they refuse to wear masks I lose MY mind. Even the orange guy is wearing one now (finally).

This video sums up all of these fake "we're here for you" commercials - well done - love the focus on the "during these unprecedented times" lines:

It is a shame that these commercials work with some people.

Everywhere I go, EVERYONE is masked up

Uh right. There's this birthday party across the street and they're all hanging outside. NOBODY is wearing a mask. I'm watching this from my castle. I am safe in my castle......

I thought I was the only one that found them to be pandering and disingenuous. And yes, all are almost identical.

The only thing worse than a pandemic are people and businesses attempting to whitewash their image and make money off of the suffering and misfortune.

Shall we discuss the greatly raised prices on things? Emergen-C is the first that comes to mind. Almost double in price now.