Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A world with cars without cd players

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A friend of mine just bought a car recently and said this, which made me sad. For awhile this was my main source for listening to CDs as well. Don't have a portable music player (nor do I want to inundate my phone with music), so those options aren't appealing to me. Just I'll just have to learn to live with radio.

That said, the car I drive now has been without a CD player/radio for years and I've just become accustomed to it, so perhaps i'll just continue driving in silence.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This is why I am still content with my 15-year-old Acura.
    Yep. And me with my 13 yo Toyota Avalon. My kids are constantly bugging me to buy a new car (Dad it's sooo embarrassing, yadda yadda) but there's nothing mechanically wrong with it, AND not only is there the 6-CD changer, but there is also a cassette deck. Which still gets regular workouts.

Back on '07 when I was shopping around the Avalon was the only vehicle I saw that still had a tape deck standard. I'm not saying I bought it because of that but it did help me seal the deal.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    We were in the market for a new car last September. It came down to the 2019 Honda CRV and the 2019 Subaru Forester. We went with the Subaru; it was cheaper and it had a CD player as standard equipment. No other manufacturer we investigated had CD players standard,
    That's good to know, as Subaru is one of the cars on my shortlist when I get a new car. That said, I suspect this may change by the time I actually get a new car.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm lucky my little Mazda3 has a CD player and I plan to have that car for a while yet. But I will fall off this bridge some day.

Question for those using USB drives for the car. I actually have a USB with music on it of non CD stuff I've picked up over the years. I organize the tracks into folders by artist/album. My problem is, for albums whose tracks run together, there is alywas this annoying gape between songs when I play the album through. How do you get rid of this? If I burned a CDR, I can set the time between tracks to 0 and that would fix it. But I can't imagine how to do it in a USB drive? Any suggestions?

Bill

^^^ Go Bluetooth.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ^^^ Go Bluetooth.
    I don't even know what this means. Bluetooth to me means either Harald Bluetooth, the King of Norway in the mid 10th century, or one of those obnoxious dudes walking down the street shouting into a big sliver thing sticking out of his ear. Can you point me to a link that might explain how this would help me?

^ I'd settle for a link to Harald Bluetooth shouting into a big silver thing sticking out of his ear.

^ Me three......

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^^^ Go Bluetooth.
    My experience with bluetooth hasn't worked out too well. Every minute or two there's at least one glitch. Multiple cars, multiple devices. Drives me nuts.

We were in the market for a new car last September. It came down to the 2019 Honda CRV and the 2019 Subaru Forester. We went with the Subaru; it was cheaper and it had a CD player as standard equipment. No other manufacturer we investigated had CD players standard,
    I bought my daughter a 2019 Subaru Forrester last year to use in Colorado, while attending college, I made a CD to listen on the way there (I drove with her and flew home), when I flew there to drive her home, not only was my CD still in the player, she didn't even know (or care) the car had a CD player and she plugs her phone into it and uses iTunes... lol

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yep. And me with my 13 yo Toyota Avalon...
    Believe me, my 2005 Acura was an upgrade from a 17-year old Toyota Camry two years ago. That car had both a CD and Cassette player. It, essentially, resurrected a 900-tape collection. But I rarely used it, anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't have any issues with bluetooth. I connect to my car, or my cheapo stereo and I stream YT. I barely play my CDs anymore.

I bought a 2018 Hrv in order to get a CD player before it was discontinued in the 2019 model. This car should last me 15 years if I live that long. Can't imagine ever not having one in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    This is what several people have told me they do. Without much loss of quality how much music can you fit on a thumb drive? Is it easy to access what you want to hear also. My one big problem is that I mostly pick out what I’m in the mood to hear in the morning before leaving for work and that could be anything within my thousands of cds.

As I said I know that I’m out dated when it comes to technology and I’m not going to deny it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know about a thumb drive, but I've got a Walkman with a 400 gig memory card in it.

I imagine not many Americans are buying CRVs. It sounds too much like "Corona Virus."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I imagine not many Americans are buying CRVs. It sounds too much like "Corona Virus."
    Don't imagine they'll be rushing for this then:

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Don't imagine they'll be rushing for this then:

It looks nice.

And how many will visit this hotel?

Banned
    For those who still want a CD player in their new or used auto, Best Buy offers this JVC in-dash unit installed for $89. It's the best of all worlds, since it also has Bluetooth and is Satellite Radio ready.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-in-...?skuId=6395738

Hotel Coroner?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Bluetooth is the way to go. There are inexpensive Bluetooth MP3 players ($30-75 based on capacity) that will solve your interface problem if you don’t have a phone. Your phone can also stream Spotify or other services.

If your car does not have a Bluetooth interface, you can but an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver ($20) that plugs into your aux in.
    Can you explain what is a blue tooth interface? Does it have a formal name? Where can I buy it?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My car (2015 Hyundai Accent) has a CD player, but I use a 256 GB thumb drive with my ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION (what a world we live in) on it for my daily listening. Unfortunately, the car’s built-in USB port can’t handle something so big, so I need to use an FM transmitter.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hotel Coroner?
    Corona

And don't laugh, because in Germany I've seen hairdressers named Hairkiller, which sounds more like a place to get rid of unwanted body-hair, not really a place where I would like to let do my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    My car (2015 Hyundai Accent) has a CD player, but I use a 256 GB thumb drive with my ENTIRE MUSIC COLLECTION (what a world we live in) on it for my daily listening. Unfortunately, the car’s built-in USB port can’t handle something so big, so I need to use an FM transmitter.
    Buy 4 64GBs and split the collection among the 4. Or, test a 128GB and see if the stereo will read it. If so, split the collection between 2 128GBs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

You can put cds on usb drives using any format right? Such as wav flac mp3 etc. obviously the format will determine how much music can be put on the drive. If I did this I would t want to use mp3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You can put cds on usb drives using any format right? Such as wav flac mp3 etc. obviously the format will determine how much music can be put on the drive. If I did this I would t want to use mp3.
    That depends on your car stereo, assuming it directly takes the drive.