Thread: New Ayreon - Transitus

New Ayreon - Transitus

Arjen Lucassen is rolling out a new Ayreon album - Transitus - coming in September. I do enjoy a lot of his stuff and the first two songs sound pretty good. And bonus - Tom Baker (Dr. Who #4) is narrating!

The record will focus on a new story that’s not connected to the Ayreon universe, and will fuse a sci-fi theme with a gothic ghost story, partially set in the 19th century starring lead characters Abby and Daniel.

Lucassen says: “I was looking for a real storyteller with a mature, deep, warm voice. As a kid, I was a huge Doctor Who fan and my favourite doctor was Tom Baker. I couldn’t believe my luck when he agreed to do it! We went to the UK to record him, and it was one of those unforgettable experiences.” As for the wider album, Lucassen adds: “When I started this I just had no idea that it was going to take me this long! It took about three years from start to finish, and it pushed me out of my comfort zone musically and creatively. “But I always need that challenge. The harder it is, the more fun for me to work on it! This is without a doubt the most cinematic and outrageous album I’ve ever done."

The first two full songs released:

Arjen wrote: Hopelessly Slipping Away’ features Tommy Karevik (KAMELOT) and Cammie Gilbert (Oceans of Slumber) on vocals. It’s a haunting track with analog synthesizers and violin, and it slowly builds to an epic climax with marching snares. In this video we see the ghost of Daniel (Tommy) hopelessly trying to reach out to his beloved wife Abby (Cammie) who clearly feels his presence but can’t see or hear him.
    - Video by Crystal Spotlight -

Arjen wrote: The track ‘Get Out! Now!’ is a straightforward and energetic rock track with powerful drums, bass, guitars and Hammond organ. It features the illustrious Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) and Tommy Karevik on vocals, and none other than the legendary Joe Satriani plays a blistering guitar solo. In this story Daniel’s intolerant father (Dee) banishes Daniel (Tommy) from his estate for having a forbidden affair with their servant Abby.
    - Video by David Letelier -
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 07-18-2020 at 11:18 AM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Gonna pre-order my signed copy with the free comic!

Pre-ordered today. I'm a huge Arjen fan. Was a bit underwhelmed by the vocalist choices - all excellent singer of course just a bit too many returning ones (3 from the last album especially), I thought he could have branched out a bit more.

Still looking forward to it though. Enjoyed the gothic-sounding Transitus theme from the previews.
    Was shocked to see he used a different drummer (Ed Warby has been a fixture of Ayreon albums and other Lucassen projects as well and he's a beast) but the video introducing the drummer from the new album was pretty impressive.

My new interview with Arjen where we talk Transitus and other goodies...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/arjen-in-transitus/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Great interview!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^^
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Ditto the above! And what a fun track This Human Equation is.

Thanks friends! I'm glad you enjoyed it. That was the third time I've interviewed Arjen and it's always fun. Probably more laughing than with anyone else I can think of. I honestly feel like I end up liking his music even more because of how likable I find him as a person. Which is perhaps odd, but true.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Wow. Dee Snider sounds great on the "Get Out. Now!"
    Chad

Arjen is the nicest of dudes and makes great music. Looking forward to Transitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Wow. Dee Snider sounds great on the "Get Out. Now!"
    65 years old! He really belts it out.

Another song from the new album. The new video features former Arena singer Paul Manzi, Oceans Of Slumber's Cammie Gilbert and Tommy Karevik of Kamelot.