Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KANSAS- New Album: Music & Album Art Talk

Another interview!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I think I just have to accept that Ronnie's vocals don't work for me - to me his voice just sounds strained and forced even in the mid range. I'm sure live he's an improvement over latter day Steve Walsh but without wanting to bash him further it just feels like a missed opportunity - so many great singers out there. Or even in the band - I would take Billy as lead singer in a heartbeat. I'm shocked he didn't get a lead vocal this time (especially while Brislin did), "Summer" was a highlight of the last album for me.
    This is the Brislin-sung song. I like it a lot - very strong track imho. The vocals throw me off a bit tho in making it sound like a Kansas song to me. May take me a few more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What about Phil's comments gave you that idea?
    Look, I don't want the thread to get shut down or get into a back and forth about it. If you watch the video posted at top, Phil Ehart says, "I don't know what popped into her head. I have no idea what that is, or what being it is, but it has nipples, so I assume it's human." Having worked with many recording artists, that's pretty amazing that he doesn't know what it is, but it's good enough for his album cover.

And if you don't see that there are virus-type objects floating around and he looks like he's getting sick with his hand on his forehead and trails coming off his head, then yeah - right there is proof that art looks different to everyone. But when in art class, not every painting gets a A+ just because someone painted it and art is objective. Luckily for her, Phil is an easy grader.

Hope the album is good. With no tours we need good new music for sure.

Just had a couple of listens so far. Strikes me that this one isn't trying as hard as The Prelude did, to sound like the classic years. Plenty of tropes that link back without ever coming across as an enthusiastic tribute album, which is what the last one felt like to me.

Early days but I'm optimistic that this one will be a good 'un!

Heard the whole album on YT. It's Prelude II. It's good. Melodic, pleasant, etc. Nothing really stands out. Not sure I'll buy the CD, but I'm a fan so maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Look, I don't want the thread to get shut down or get into a back and forth about it. If you watch the video posted at top, Phil Ehart says, "I don't know what popped into her head. I have no idea what that is, or what being it is, but it has nipples, so I assume it's human." Having worked with many recording artists, that's pretty amazing that he doesn't know what it is, but it's good enough for his album cover.

And if you don't see that there are virus-type objects floating around and he looks like he's getting sick with his hand on his forehead and trails coming off his head, then yeah - right there is proof that art looks different to everyone. But when in art class, not every painting gets a A+ just because someone painted it and art is objective. Luckily for her, Phil is an easy grader.
    I did watch the video, and Phil's comments never suggested (to me) that he thought the art was not appropriate for the album. Especially given that the only thing the painter had to go on was the album title and an instrumental track. Trash talking another artist's work as if it's objectively bad just doesn't sit well with me.

<shrug>

Obviously, it's fine if you don't like it. It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Hope the album is good. With no tours we need good new music for sure.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Just had a couple of listens so far. Strikes me that this one isn't trying as hard as The Prelude did, to sound like the classic years. Plenty of tropes that link back without ever coming across as an enthusiastic tribute album, which is what the last one felt like to me.

Early days but I'm optimistic that this one will be a good 'un!
    Same here. This one feels a little more comfortable in its own skin, possibly a result of this current lineup having spent more time together. And I think having Tom on board helps too.

Like you said, it's early days but there's cause for optimism.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've had an MP3 for the last month that leaked via Dime but I've only played it a couple of times,
    Dime leaks MP3s of legit releases?

As they say you can’t judge a cd by it’s cover. Kansas is one of those bands that have never stuck with one theme for their covers so it’s hard to say what a Kansas cover should look like. I’m interested more in what people on here think about the music which would probably be similar to what they think about the cover art. The one thing about the cover that baffled me though is how the logo is kind of buried in the artwork. Kind of odd I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Dime leaks MP3s of legit releases?
    It might not have been Dime but it leaked out somehow, anyway no need for it now.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I did watch the video, and Phil's comments never suggested (to me) that he thought the art was not appropriate for the album. Especially given that the only thing the painter had to go on was the album title and an instrumental track. Trash talking another artist's work as if it's objectively bad just doesn't sit well with me.

<shrug>

Yet he was OK with the fiasco on the cover of Audio Visions?

i ordered mine, should get it by Friday. keep my expectations low.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The one thing about the cover that baffled me though is how the logo is kind of buried in the artwork. Kind of odd I thought.
    The artwork is ok imho. But the logo being kinda barely there looks like an unfinished mistake to me. Not sure why they didn't make the logo bolder and more prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The artwork is ok imho. But the logo being kinda barely there looks like an unfinished mistake to me. Not sure why they didn't make the logo bolder and more prominent.

To make it present but absent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Not sure why they didn't make the logo bolder and more prominent.
    Of course I don't know the answer, but I'm confident it wasn't unintentional. They could have had it changed if they wanted their logo to look any different or be more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yet he was OK with the fiasco on the cover of Audio Visions?

It was no Leftoverture or Point of Know Return, but I don't hate the cover for Audio Visions.

It was no Leftoverture or Point of Know Return, but I don't hate the cover for Audio Visions.
    Leftoverture is still not only my favorite cover of theirs but one of my all time favorite album covers.

Postman just dropped off my order from Laser's Edge. I had pre-ordered the art book edition, but didn't realize it's the size of an LP sleeve. I was expecting a CD digibook style thing, but this is nice.

Leftoverture is still not only my favorite cover of theirs but one of my all time favorite album covers.

One of my faves too!

Banned
    And, if I may say, Leftoverture is one of my favorite albums of theirs and one of my favorite LP's of all time. Not a letdown cut amongst those great tracks.

The new album cover is fairly interesting and colorful enough. I fail to understand the many objections to it.

I pre-ordered the album directly from the Kansas site and it still has not arrived. I was kind of hoping I would have it by now.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I pre-ordered the album directly from the Kansas site and it still has not arrived. I was kind of hoping I would have it by now.....
    Frustrating.

It'll be worth the wait though.

I think the lyrics on this album are very good, pretty spiritual and soul searching although I'm a bit confused about what Animals On The Roof is all about?

Got my limited edition set from Kansas this week. CD/BluRay/LPs/Book. Very nice package, though very pricey like Wakeman's. I find both well worth it.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Just listened to the Blu-ray disc. I think I'm going to like this one pretty well, overall.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I did the same (added in a t-shirt, too), and it arrived last week (I think the day before the official release date, actually).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.