Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KANSAS- New Album: Music & Album Art Talk

I've seen a couple reviews on YT about the new album. Glowing reviews. Ive only heard the album once on YT and wasn't too impressed, but if I want to give another spin I'll buy it (if Barns & Noble has it). Really, I find Platt's vocals pleasant, but tiresome after a while. Prelude is a little more varied I think.

Artwork is terrible. Album is good.
    Prog's Not Dead

Yesterday I ended up listening to the Blu-Ray twice in a row in a single sitting. I think it's an improvement on Prelude.

And the artwork is dope.

I agree its better than Prelude for sure and that was good too.

Review here:

I think the artwork is really striking.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I did the same (added in a t-shirt, too), and it arrived last week (I think the day before the official release date, actually).
    I finally got it Tuesday night.

In case you missed it, I interviewed Tom a month or so ago and we discussed the new album quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I finally got it Tuesday night.
    What do you think?

I looked for it at Barnes & Noble today. They are no longer stocking new releases on CD, it's all vinyl now. They're getting rid of all physical media except vinyl. I'd rather own physical media but don't want to buy downloads or CDs on the internet. Youtube it is.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    What do you think?
    This is what I posted on Facebook yesterday:

My first impression of this album is very very positive. The current version of Kansas continues the creative resurgence that started with “The Prelude Implicit” album from a few years ago. I am extremely impressed with this album. The addition of Tom Brislin to the band has just made what was already a great lineup stronger. Brislin has a part in writing just about every track on the album and even sings lead vocals on the last track. The only slightly negative thing is there is no Billy Greer track on this one, and I have always enjoyed his songs. Other than that, I think this is a fantastic piece of work. I need to give it some more listens to really get a full impression, but Kansas is still a force to be reckoned with.

The Album will enter at No. 7 of the German (Overall) Album Charts tomorrow.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but subtract the violin and this album makes me think of Pattern-Seeking Animals and recent Spock's Beard. In other words, that there's perhaps something of a convergence in the sound of recent American post-neoProg.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I can't put my finger on exactly why, but subtract the violin and this album makes me think of Pattern-Seeking Animals and recent Spock's Beard. In other words, that there's perhaps something of a convergence in the sound of recent American post-neoProg.
    I've really enjoyed both Pattern-Seeking Animals records and now you've pointed it out, they do seem to be cut from the same cloth as the current incarnation of Kansas. Strong melodies, muscular musicianship, similar sounding vocalists etc.

I remember reading that Ted Leonard offered his services Kansas and that John Boegehold sent them some songs so I suppose that it's not a surprise that there's a little crossover.
    Last edited by the ferret; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:38 AM.

This is what I posted on Facebook yesterday:

My first impression of this album is very very positive. The current version of Kansas continues the creative resurgence that started with “The Prelude Implicit” album from a few years ago. I am extremely impressed with this album. The addition of Tom Brislin to the band has just made what was already a great lineup stronger. Brislin has a part in writing just about every track on the album and even sings lead vocals on the last track. The only slightly negative thing is there is no Billy Greer track on this one, and I have always enjoyed his songs. Other than that, I think this is a fantastic piece of work. I need to give it some more listens to really get a full impression, but Kansas is still a force to be reckoned with.
    Glad you're enjoying it.

I feel much the same way. It clicked well enough on first listen and it's still growing for me. Agree that it would have been nice to have some writing and singing contributions from Billy but that hasn't distracted from the overall quality of the album.

Another thing I noticed is how Billy's bass is much more prominent in the mix which is very welcome.

I've been listening for a couple of days now. At first listen, it didn't grab me as much as THE PRELUDE IMPLICIT did...I really like that album! However after several listens, this one is beginning to grow on me more and more. I particularly like "The Song the River Sang," which to me sounds LESS like Kansas than the other songs, but it clicked with me right away. I'm hoping that, as often happens, the fact that it's taking a bit longer to connect means the appeal will be more enduring.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Another thing I noticed is how Billy's bass is much more prominent in the mix which is very welcome.
    You know, I hadn't noticed this consciously, but now that you mention it, yeah, I agree!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"
    -Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    fromthemorning.net
    kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post

You know, I hadn't noticed this consciously, but now that you mention it, yeah, I agree!
    Billy has done some of my favorite songs on the last few albums "Summer", and "Look At The Time" come to mind. He has a certain style that I have always found odd that the band has not used more since he has such a great voice.

Nice interview with Ronnie here:

Billy has done some of my favorite songs on the last few albums "Summer", and "Look At The Time" come to mind. He has a certain style that I have always found odd that the band has not used more since he has such a great voice.
    It must have been frustrating for Billy to have to hear Steve W struggle on stage for years after burning his once stellar voice out. Billy has a fantastic voice. I'm sure he could have sang most of the songs well and with ease.

the abrupt ending on the last song ruins it for me.
    is this a defect or intentional?
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    That's the one Brislin sings. Seems to be intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    I tend to do a manual fade out on that track! Just cant understand why they did this, what a crazy way to end the song and album.

It ends on the album like that??? I'm pretty open to orthodox ideas, but this is a strange ending.

It's an attention-grabbing way to end the song, IMO. Doesn't spoil anything for me personally.

None of you had an issue with an abrupt ending on One More Red Nightmare. Remember?