Thread: RIP Jarno Sarkula (Alamaailman Vasarat)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

RIP Jarno Sarkula (Alamaailman Vasarat)

Very sad news, only 47, they were terrific at RIO in '11.

https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000...LrmiE7nfcwKfpE

52c6fa711eaf4f7b985f5e8746f889be.jpg
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ ^ ^ ^

Ugh - horrible news. I had the great pleasure of seeing them at Orion and NEARFest and they were - absolutely musically great and a lot of FUN!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Fuck. Amazing band, amazing talent.

RIP
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Shit. He was too young. RIP

Translation says his cause of passing was "illness", apparently somewhere in Portugal.

Way too young for this marvellously gifted geezer from such a fabulous and memorable ensemble.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Jarno. Alamaailman-Vasarat's last album was Valta from 2012 right? I'm guessing the band had split up or gone on a long hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Translation says his cause of passing was "illness", apparently somewhere in Portugal.

Way too young for this marvellously gifted geezer from such a fabulous and memorable ensemble.
    More specifically, a sudden illness, suggesting something unexpected rather than an chronic condition.

extremely fun gig at the RIO 2011 (had seen Hoyry Kone twice in the late 90's before they disbanded), and Jarno was a top entertainer with his other companion trombonist Erno Haukkala.

Their extreme physical differences made them a very entertaining show

===============

Having once met in person Jarno since that gig, it was obvious the man was not in a good shape

RIP, Stakula

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Very sorry to hear this. RIP Jarno. Alamaailman-Vasarat's last album was Valta from 2012 right? I'm guessing the band had split up or gone on a long hiatus.
    never hear that album. TBH, I'd given, up on their studio album after their fifth Kolkko, because it always sounded the same (going around in circles), but AV 's presence on the RIO 2011 bill was the cincher. I just knew it would be soooooo fun.

I suspect that Erno's departure soon after the RIO gig was a near-fatal blow to the band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

OH man...so sorry to hear this. My sincerest condolences to the family of Mr Sarkula.

I still love Vasaraasia and Maahan on occasion, and was absolutely floored by their NF performance.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    extremely fun gig at the RIO 2011 (had seen Hoyry Kone twice in the late 90's before they disbanded), and Jarno was a top entertainer with his other companion trombonist Erno Haukkala.
    You told me "You'll love these guys" before they came on. I was sitting at the back of the theater when they came on after a long weekend. I was immediately down the front bouncing around with the rest of you.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Damn. Terrible to read. He was great and AV is a band i will always love.

RIP, I'll spin the records soon.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

R.I.P. ... a sad loss, an amazing and wonderful band.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sad news!.
    Descanse en Paz joven Maestro!

RIP!

np: (little tribute here!)
    Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraasia.

Great debut album IMO!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

RIP, Count Stakula

I only saw AV live once - at Kings Place in London, as far as I know the only time they played in the UK. They were fantastic, and Jarno was a great front man, very funny and engaging. “Finland, land of a thousand snakes!”. It wasn’t a very large room, and to London’s enduring shame it wasn’t full. But nobody who was there would have missed it.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

A.V. was superb at their peak in large part because of the great cello work. They set the bar ridiculously high at Nearfest. Sucks that Sarkula didn't get a longer run.

It should be mentioned that he was also the bass player of the mighty Höyry-kone.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Höyry-kone.

No small assignment either!

From what I understand, both AV's Marko Manninen (cello; also of Uzva) and Sarkula were among the founders of H-K.

It remains to be said, of course, that Vasarat achieved a level of recognition in their homeland which is rare with groups of this radical approach. Meaning steady touring, regular press coverage et al.

Those were tha days!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

From what I understand, both AV's Marko Manninen (cello; also of Uzva) and Sarkula were among the founders of H-K.

It remains to be said, of course, that Vasarat achieved a level of recognition in their homeland which is rare with groups of this radical approach. Meaning steady touring, regular press coverage et al.
    Well I don't know if the touring ever was THAT steady.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^ Not overall I suppose, but I got the impression that their stint with Tuomari Nurmio back in 2005 allowed for them to gig on a fairly regular basis for at least a couple of years afterwards, appearing on national TV and all. Granted much of the success was due to Nurmio's status, but it's still exceptional how such an outright avant-garde venture would achieve attention at all. I mean, with an act such as Apocalyptica it's basically all about cultural cliché, but not so with Vasarat.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You told me "You'll love these guys" before they came on. I was sitting at the back of the theater when they came on after a long weekend. I was immediately down the front bouncing around with the rest of you.
    Yeah, you were going to pack it in early, because you had to leave early in the morning, and I'm glad I convinced you to stay around for that festival closer . I had to branch Debby as well on the gig too. She danced like a mad witch for the whole set. FTM, I think only Roger Trigaux didn't dance because I had wheeled him in his chair (he was relatively hard to convince to see it too) in the concert.

Well, they also probably attracted a sizeable %age of their audience from the metal crowds with doomcello sounds that abounded in their first two albums

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Well I don't know if the touring ever was THAT steady.
    Well TBH, I'd missed their only Belgian concert (to my knowledge) and I had to wait until the RIO Fest to catch them, but touring our latitudes & longitudes wasn't frequent for sure.

However, I'm sutre that their third album with Tuomari Nurmio attracted them a lot of attention home.

The Finns I'm working with, if they knew of AV, it was because of that collab.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I was at this show as well. I had been a fan of AV for years and, living in the United States, was not expecting to be able to see them live easily. When I saw they were playing in London, I asked my wife if she was up for a trip. So glad we did. We had an amazing time and actually got to meet the band as well. Jarno was very nice and they signed a poster for us. Jarno also inspired me to get my Tubax with a black lacquer.