Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Chicago 78

Genesis Chicago 78

The first concert I ever saw was Genesis in 78. I was 13 and saw them with two pals, one of their moms drove us an hour into the city to see the show. I always thought I saw them at the Uptown but now I dont think so. They played Chicago twice that year. I saw the first show. I remember they came back a few weeks or months later and that second show was broadcast on the radio (I listened to that broadcast live as it happened). But I think that second time was at the Uptown so that wasnt the show I was at. Does any Genesis expert know where that first 78 Chicago gig took place?

Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

https://www.genesis-movement.org/php...9&username=all
    Scroll down to 6th April 1978.
    Also, 13th October 1978 for reference.

Within the Uptown Theater concert, Collins mentions something like they played the stadium but didn't like it much so they came to this smaller venue. I assumed he was talking about the 1977 tour (which was also broadcast on radio) but only now, I see they were also theatre shows. I hadn't realised there was another Chicago show in the same year, though several months earlier.

The Uptown Theater show is one of my favourite bootlegs.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Within the Uptown Theater concert, Collins mentions something like they played the stadium but didn't like it much so they came to this smaller venue. I assumed he was talking about the 1977 tour (which was also broadcast on radio) but only now, I see they were also theatre shows. I hadn't realised there was another Chicago show in the same year, though several months earlier.

I had the impression that they started the tour doing stadiums and arenas, with the now famous mirrors lighting rig. Then they went to Europe for a couple months, then came back and did another round of US dates, playing smaller venues, sans the mirrors. But checking Opening The Musical Box: The Genesis Chronicles, there were actually three US legs. They dad the April and May shows, then went to Europe, came back to the US, went back to Europe, then at the end of September and into October they did a third US leg, followed by the Japanese leg.

Furthermore, looking at the venues listed for those late Sept/Oct dates, it looks like most of them were in arenas, apart from the Uptown Theater.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Within the Uptown Theater concert, Collins mentions something like they played the stadium but didn't like it much so they came to this smaller venue.
    They were appealing to a more selective audience.

Yes mine too. I've got one called "Definitive Chicago". I had not known there were multiple Chicago shows in 1978 but I checked and Definitive is indeed from Uptown Theater. I have 3-4 other good boots from 1978 but Definitive is the best.

If I can broaden the scope of the thread here, what do people here think of the 1978 shows? Hackett's gone; its a big loss. Tony's more interested in texture than in flash. He's not becoming a lead voice. But, still, the boots I have suggest a very compelling sound and the band bring out the best in the ATTWT material. Few hooks, not yet commercial, but the shows reward repeated listens.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yes mine too. I've got one called "Definitive Chicago". I had not known there were multiple Chicago shows in 1978 but I checked and Definitive is indeed from Uptown Theater. I have 3-4 other good boots from 1978 but Definitive is the best.

If I can broaden the scope of the thread here, what do people here think of the 1978 shows? Hackett's gone; its a big loss. Tony's more interested in texture than in flash. He's not becoming a lead voice. But, still, the boots I have suggest a very compelling sound and the band bring out the best in the ATTWT material. Few hooks, not yet commercial, but the shows reward repeated listens.
    I saw them on that tour I wanna say it was summer.. Merriweather Post Pavillion Md for sure.. first time seeing Genesis for me. As I recall Phil was rather animated behind the mic with lots of stories.. Surprise of the night was Fountain of Salmacis.. going in I had no idea of what the set list would be. The band was very tight.. Hadn't seen Chester and Daryl live before (although I might have seen Chester with Zappa..) but I had great respect for Daryl handling Steve's parts.. a lot of folks give him a hard time for shredding on Firth of Fifth but I'm OK with it.. if I want to hear the original I'll play SEBTP Mirrors and Laser usage was really cool..

There's still a lot of older material in the set, so I'd imagine people here would really enjoy this era even if they are indifferent to ATTWT. The Chicago show for instance has a one-off medley of '...Moonlit Knight/The Musical Box'. 'Eleventh Earl Of Mar' in that show is superb, better than the 1977 versions I've heard. I'd say the same goes for the 1978/80 versions of 'One For The Vine' as well. 'In The Cage' is excellent and not in a medley at this stage. 'Ripples' made its stage debut on this tour.

Yeah, that was the only tour I ever saw Genesis perform (I was at the Milwaukee show in July.) The opened with "The Eleventh Earl Of Mar." Just not right without Steve...
    I left feeling rather deflated.
    Prog's Not Dead

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the ATT show in Montreal. Previously saw Trick and Wind in Ottawa.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

The Dancing With The Moonlit Knight/The Musical Box medley, and Ripples are the highlights for me.

I've always wondered why they didn't play Ripples in 76 or 77, but then suddenly started playing in 78. They also did it on the Duke tour.

There's still a lot of older material in the set, so I'd imagine people here would really enjoy this era even if they are indifferent to ATTWT. The Chicago show for instance has a one-off medley of '...Moonlit Knight/The Musical Box'. 'Eleventh Earl Of Mar' in that show is superb, better than the 1977 versions I've heard. I'd say the same goes for the 1978/80 versions of 'One For The Vine' as well. 'In The Cage' is excellent and not in a medley at this stage. 'Ripples' made its stage debut on this tour.
    I didn't catch any late 70's Genesis tour concerts but I was fortunate enough to see their June 4, 1980 concert at Kemper Arena, Kansas City MO. It was an outstanding performance, however, there was certainly a radical shift from the playlist and overall structure of the concert I witnessed in 1976. Eleven of the songs were from ATTWT and Duke, which makes sense from a contemporary viewpoint in 1980. Absolutely nothing from the pre-Lamb era with the exception of the Intro for Dancing Out With The MK and I Know What I Like, both from SEBTP. When they started to play the Intro to Dancing Out you could feel the crowds anticipation, but then they cut it short and cut right over to Squonk. And, the Cage Medley wasn't long enough to satisfy me and I believe the crowd as a whole, based on what I could gather from those around me.

Imagine long time fans coming to the show to at least catch a bit of something from Trespass to SEBTP, but having to settle for less than hoped for. Again, a stellar concert experience for me personally due to my love of the ATTWT and Duke material, but even I would have appreciated more of the older stuff.

By the way, the Drum Duet going into Los Endos and finishing with I Know What I Like, was over-the-top crazy good. But still...

June 4, 1980 Setlist

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (Intro)
    Squonk
    One for the Vine
    Behind the Lines
    Duchess
    Guide Vocal
    Turn It On Again
    Duke's Travels
    Duke's End
    The Lady Lies
    Ripples...
    Misunderstanding

Cage Medley
    In the Cage
    The Colony of Slippermen
    Afterglow

Follow You Follow Me
    Dance on a Volcano
    Drum Duet

Los Endos

Encore:
    I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

'Say It's Alright Joe' was a strong live song as well, with Collins and Banks doing the 'saloon singer' routine.

The version I'm familiar with of the Uptown show has a post-show interview with Collins as well. It's clear he wasn't that keen on ATTWT even then, saying something like he doesn't feel that he 'came up with the fusion goods' on the album. It's true that it doesn't really have anything like 'Los Endos', 'Wot Gorilla' or 'Duke's Travels/End' on the follow-up.

A pity that some of the album's best tracks were never played live- 'Undertow', 'Snowbound' and 'Many Too Many'.

A pity that some of the album's best tracks were never played live- 'Undertow', 'Snowbound' and 'Many Too Many'.
    Undertow is one of my fav Genesis short tracks. Great song. PC butchered The Lady Lies, another excellent song, on the live version from Archives 2. He's on record of not being a fan of FYFM. Doesn't like the lyric, which is kind of strange considering some of his solo songs. Did they ever play Down and Out live?
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-16-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Did they ever play Down and Out live?
    Yes, but not for very long. They claimed it didn't go over well live, but I've always suspected it was a bit too challenging.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I prefer the album version of 'The Lady Lies'. Collins, registering the nature of the lyrics, took it over into full-on panto mode live.

The versions of 'Down And Out' I've heard aren't bad.

I saw them at Madison Square Garden NYC in June 1978 and during the encore,a man with a shaved head and gray suit joins Phil and kinda just grunts into the microphone.When they finished,Phil says "Peter Gabriel", they turn around and depart the stage

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    I saw them at Madison Square Garden NYC in June 1978 and during the encore,a man with a shaved head and gray suit joins Phil and kinda just grunts into the microphone.When they finished,Phil says "Peter Gabriel", they turn around and depart the stage
    Yeppers!
    I was at that show (my third Genesis show). 9th row.

Phenomenal show...the mirrors were stunning. (Ripples was one of the best with regards to the mirrors because they slowly angled back and forth in time with the music as the spot lights from below reflected off the mirrors.)

When Peter came out for the encore in his Mao jacket, very few people knew. Peter seemed to really enjoy the song (I know What I Like). As you say, at the end Philly casual says: "Mr. Peter Gabriel!"
    THEN, the crowd goes wild.

1978 was the last great tour, in my opinion.
    Because Phil's ginormous ego.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The Uptown Theatre Chicago Live FM Broadcast recording was released again last year by Sonic Boom as In The Windy City.
    Although I generally don't like (to pay for) bootlegs, I got me this one because of the unusual setlist; it fits nicely between Seconds Out and Three Sides Live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    But I think that second time was at the Uptown so that wasn’t the show I was at. Does any Genesis expert know where that first ‘78 Chicago gig took place?
    Genesis played the Chicago Stadium on their first run through Chicago. (https://www.genesis-movement.org/php...9&username=all) The old Chicago Stadium, no longer standing, was infamous for having TERRIBLE acoustics, but could seat 20,000 people for a show. The Uptown Theater, currently closed, could hold 5,000.

When Genesis revisited Chicago on their extended “…And Then There Were Three” Tour, it was decided to play at a smaller venue with better acoustics and the Uptown Theatre was chosen. Local radio station WXRT received permission to record the show for broadcast, one of only three radio recordings made during this tour. (https://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wor...-chicago-1978/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Yeppers!
    I was at that show (my third Genesis show). 9th row.

Phenomenal show...the mirrors were stunning. (Ripples was one of the best with regards to the mirrors because they slowly angled back and forth in time with the music as the spot lights from below reflected off the mirrors.)

When Peter came out for the encore in his Mao jacket, very few people knew. Peter seemed to really enjoy the song (I know What I Like). As you say, at the end Philly casual says: "Mr. Peter Gabriel!"
    THEN, the crowd goes wild.

1978 was the last great tour, in my opinion.
    Because Phil's ginormous ego.
    Phil with an ego? I saw Genesis at St. John's Arena in Columbus, Ohio in October 1978 and we arrived very early.We caught Genesis when they arrived in their limousineS---Phil was in his own limousine

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post

June 4, 1980 Setlist

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight (Intro)
    Squonk
    One for the Vine
    Behind the Lines
    Duchess
    Guide Vocal
    Turn It On Again
    Duke's Travels
    Duke's End
    The Lady Lies
    Ripples...
    Misunderstanding

Cage Medley
    In the Cage
    The Colony of Slippermen
    Afterglow

Follow You Follow Me
    Dance on a Volcano
    Drum Duet
    Los Endos

Encore:
    I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
    It always dismays me a bit to see that on the Duke tour, their previous ATTWT album had been reduced to 2 tracks on stage, including the cruddy FYFM (which was unavoidable, though) - not that I find Lady Lies very representative of the album either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

PC is on record that they have recordings of many of the tours. I really wish they would clean up and release some of them.