1. Amboss (19:40)
    2. Traummaschine (25:24)

Line-up:
    - Manuel Göttsching / guitar, electronics, vocals
    - Hartmut Enke / bass
    - Klaus Schulze / drums, percussion, electronics
    - Conny Plank / producer, engineer

Here is what Tom Hayes (AKA Ashratom) had to say about it on RYM
    Germany. 1971. Underground. Those three terms evoke images of the Berlin Wall, intensity, angst, freedom.

Very rarely is a moment so well captured just through music. Yet this is just what happened on Ash Ra Tempel's self-titled debut. The opening piece 'Amboss' (Anvil), is one for the ages. Starting with dark sounds that seem like shadows, created only with primitive electronics and guitar, the piece seems on the verge of falling into a black abyss to never return. Slowly the tension builds to a deafening crescendo, and without warning, Klaus Schulze begins his definitive piledriver drumming pattern. What could be possibly more intense and more chaotic? The listener is pounded into submission. Only to be equally mutilated by Göttsching's furious jamming, certainly the most intense, psychedelic, heavy guitar ever recorded. After a few minutes of this sort of violent cosmic blues jamming, there is a sequence of free-jazz drumming and electric guitar polka-dots that just burst into another firestorm, and along comes Schulze even more furious than before with Göttsching and Enke trying to subdue the entire German nation with their blistering guitar work. The Berlin Wall must fall! It doesn't - but certainly the musicians must have. One gets exhausted just listening to it! This 19 minute opus is followed by the exquisite 25 minute 'Traummaschine' (Dream Machine). Again, the mood is somber but slowly the sound gets louder. The band manages to achieve an electronic cadence while the guitars and electronics swirl. Hand percussion enters in and Göttsching turns up the fuzz for another biting solo. There is a period of rest and again the rollercoaster begins for yet one more jam. To this day, there has never been an album of music that sustained this kind of intensity for 40 minutes. How they were able to so without a moment of wasted time is a testament to the brilliance of one of the greatest albums of all time.
    This album had been my Holy Grail for about 3 to 4 years. I first discovered Ashra / Ash Ra Tempel back in 1985 from a store called The Record Gallery in Dallas when I was midway through college. I've spoken about this store in the past (and I learned the proprietor Steve Stokes recently passed away in Portland where he had relocated many years ago. He was a very good man who I will never forget). The odd thing about Ash Ra Tempel, is that all of their albums starting with Seven Up (Seven Up for Pete's Sake!) were reissued by Pop Import in the early 1980s. Those are the copies this store had. In Dallas, in 1985, I can assure you no one else did, not even Metamorphosis by then (locals will know what I mean). So with that, finding the first 3 albums became my determined quest. I found the PDU copy of Join Inn in 1987 as I was wrapping up my degree. And scored Schwingungen in early 1988 (I will tell that story when I get around to reviewing that album again). And finally, after years of searching, I scored the PDU version of the debut in late 1988. From the late great Jeff Baker. It was $55. Where the hell did I get $55 for a record? I have no idea. But I did and never regretted a second of it. My first listen was an unforgettable experience. Right around Christmas in fact.

Let's talk about the physical product for a minute. The original comes in an extraordinary fold-out-of-the-middle gimmix cover. There is no difference between the 56 and 556 releases except the catalog number. I've had both, but sold the 56 copy since it wasn't really in great shape. Today I would have kept it anyway as an extra. The PDU version is a single sleeve, without the gimmix. I kind of want it back too just for the memories, but it's not inexpensive. The Spalax releases are cheaply made and not worth the money. There is a convincing bootleg out there that mirrors the original, so watch out! In this day and age where the LP is once again treasured, I find it disappointing no one has bothered to reissue the LP in its original glory (legally that is). I'd buy one just for the heck of it. Gottsching himself owns his own catalog now, so maybe he'll do it right. Though in general he doesn't have too much regard for his early works, which is too bad. The CDs all come from vinyl as I guess the masters are lost or are in bad shape. The Arcangelo CD I own comes in a box set (somewhat cheaply made, unusual for Japan), that opens up to 3 mini-LPs, which also includes Schwingungen and Inventions for Electric Guitar (why not Join Inn? Who knows?). The packaging of the CD itself is outstanding and replicates the original in every way.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yep. Love this. Bought the CD years back and was like wtf at first? I thought it was overrated. Then I started to open up in the sonic universe presented...it clicked and I've loved it every since. Also dig Schwingungen.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is a really great one, fantastic stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yep. Love this. Bought the CD years back and was like wtf at first? I thought it was overrated. Then I started to open up in the sonic universe presented...it clicked and I've loved it every since. Also dig Schwingungen.
    Pretty much my experience as well. One of those albums that you just have to relax and let it wash over you. Eventually once I got to know the music it started to feel like it was coming from inside my head, probably a similar feeling to the "sonic universe" you mention. Can't listen to this a lot, but when I'm in the mood for it, totally scratches a very specific itch.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Easily my favorite ART album. Great all around.

It's also the only CD I own that broke a speaker as it was playing.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Had the original LP, sold it years ago, have the CD now, still loving it....!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    That LP fetches a lot these days.

I always feel like I'm in a valley of thick fog at night wandering aimlessly when "Amboss" starts. Then the drums kick in and I still feel like I'm lost for the next 19 minutes

Can we talk about the liner notes poem in this album? It's pretty out there, and then it ends with this ( and I quote):

"...who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes
    With dreams, with drugs with waking nightmares, alcohol and cock and endless balls."

Looking for an original PE signature? That one is still available.....

This album wrote the book on guitar space prog. “Amboss” eases you into their sonic world by being recognizably “rock,” but “Traummaschine” is pure cosmic bliss. Like the best of Göttsching’s work (and I must mention Inventions for Electric Guitar, New Age of Earth and E2 E4 here), ideal “drifting off to sleep” listening.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I always feel like I'm in a valley of thick fog at night wandering aimlessly when "Amboss" starts. Then the drums kick in and I still feel like I'm lost for the next 19 minutes

Can we talk about the liner notes poem in this album? It's pretty out there, and then it ends with this ( and I quote):

"...who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes
    With dreams, with drugs with waking nightmares, alcohol and cock and endless balls."

Looking for an original PE signature? That one is still available.....
    This is actually from Alan Ginsberg’s poem “Howl”...
    I’m pretty sure that Lisa actually quotes a part of it on a Simpsons episode!

First listened to it in 1982 from a cassette a friend of mine owned from a german connection. I was not the same afterwards...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

By far my fave from ART (Schwing disturbs me with its vocals and the others don't have the "magic" - IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Mmmmhhh!!!.. Had the Spalax CD which was sonically quite good and it +/- respected the artwork as much as could be expected for a jewel case reissue, but I mislaid it somewhere a few years ago.

So I ended up buying recently the Belle Antique SHM Mini-Lp. Only remark, the orange is way too harsh - not yet Stabylo-style orange, but way too much for the original artwork

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Easily my favorite ART album. Great all around.

It's also the only CD I own that broke a speaker as it was playing.

No wonder, IMHO. I always played this very loud

========================

BTW, I couldn't do otherwise than just cite Tom in the review.

no-one else seemed quite as right!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Klaus Schulze drumming is the heart of the project for me. I've never listened to anything like it. It's like presenting a kit to a person who never played drums before - but is a genius - and commanding him to play.

The musical content is not so important or groundbreaking - but the overall atmosphere - the aura of the work as Walter Benjamin would put it - is. It's like Jimmy Hendrix broadcasting from Mars. A pillar krautrock album.

I've got the originals of both this and Shcwingungen, the latter unfortunately with a somewhat large part of the laminate paper torn off from the front cover. But I'd assume the debut to be one of my most expensive original vinyls from Germany.

I always loved this one. A complete free-form acid-freakout extravaganza. And those two tracks are obviously a day/night of divergence. I'm probably still a bit partial to Schwingungen, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I never heard this until I met Ken Golden and this was one of his full-on frothers. Luckily, him babbling about it coincided with it being reissued on CD. Now its one of my full-on frothers.

I like that Gottsching came so far from these roots, but that even then, he was great and spacious. Just spacious in a different way.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 07-14-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I think Krautrock albums should be the Featured albums for the next 816 days. Then neo-prog for the next 4 days thereafter.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Does anyone have the 6 CD Spalax ART Works box set from 1991? How is the sound quality, and the overall quality of the set? I usually have good luck with CDs from the late 80s-early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Does anyone have the 6 CD Spalax ART Works box set from 1991? How is the sound quality, and the overall quality of the set? I usually have good luck with CDs from the late 80s-early 90s.
    I have the 6 CD Gottsching / Ash Ra Tempel "The Private Tapes" set. It wasn't a box. It was six separate CDs. And it wasn't on Spalax - It was on Manekin.

I think it's mostly great. I mean really great. There's a few later 70s things that I think are only 'decent', but at least 4-5 discs are stupendous if you like Gottsching as much as I do.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is in no particular order; for example, there is a fantastic live show of Gottsching solo (but as Ash Ra Tempel) that's an hour long, but it's 3 tracks in different places in the set. I re-assembled it on my iPod, but it seems sort of a shame to present it this way. It doesn't make for a great CD listening experience.

There's also a couple of hours of early ART with Harmut in surprisingly aok quality for the rarity and time.

It goes for a ton of money now, but I am really happy that I sprung for it when it went for a smaller ton of money....! [I bought it new when it was available for the going rate of $150.00; $25 per CD - I thought it was outrageous but I wanted it....]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Thanks for the info. That's not the one I was asking about, but it will be worth looking into. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have the 6 CD Gottsching / Ash Ra Tempel "The Private Tapes" set. It wasn't a box. It was six separate CDs. And it wasn't on Spalax - It was on Manekin.

I think it's mostly great. I mean really great. There's a few later 70s things that I think are only 'decent', but at least 4-5 discs are stupendous if you like Gottsching as much as I do.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is in no particular order; for example, there is a fantastic live show of Gottsching solo (but as Ash Ra Tempel) that's an hour long, but it's 3 tracks in different places in the set. I re-assembled it on my iPod, but it seems sort of a shame to present it this way. It doesn't make for a great CD listening experience.

There's also a couple of hours of early ART with Harmut in surprisingly aok quality for the rarity and time.

It goes for a ton of money now, but I am really happy that I sprung for it when it went for a smaller ton of money....! [I bought it new when it was available for the going rate of $150.00; $25 per CD - I thought it was outrageous but I wanted it....]
    I missed the boat on the set when it came out, and still kick myself for that. I did get the 2 CD "Best of the Private Tapes" from Purple Pyramid which is a decent sampling of tracks but mostly just a tease for the full thing.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I think Krautrock albums should be the Featured albums for the next 816 days. Then neo-prog for the next 4 days thereafter.

Great album, love it!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Inside of Klaus Schulze's X from '78 there's an early photograph of Ash Ra Tempel playing live sometime ultimo 1970 in Berlin. On forming a band in 1993, one of my band buddies held it forth and told his girlfriend that it didn't really matter what our new sound would be, as long as we'd appear as cool-looking as this while performing.

Ash Ra Tempel in those days were the instance where you could basically go on without a setlist, a plan or strategy and yet it'd just as likely come out good as bad. You'd just play the damn noise/sonic. And people would listen or not, dance or not, stay or not, enjoy or not - the hell for it.

It would still "make sense".

I believe this artistic and musical logic and instinct has played its part unspeakably well throughout the years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM