Vemod
    Until All The Ghosts Are Gone
    Vemod
    Ghosts
    Nucleus

Within

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    2) A Time of Day (I know; unusual!)
    it's more unusual that it sounds (sonic-wise) very different compared to their other albums, though I think Gravity and that one are my least faves.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm surprised how many people here choose those later albums over the earlier ones. Until All The Ghosts Are Gone I really haven't listened much to (yet), but that was sort of a return to the earlier sound, wasn't it? Those later period albums never really clicked with me that much - I certainly don't need reissues. Jan Eric Lillestrom used to be on PE some back in the day.

After revisiting these, I'd rank:

1. Vemod
    2. From Within
    <step>
    3. Until All the Ghosts Are Gone
    4. Nucleus
    <step>
    5. A Time of Day
    6. Gravity

From Within shot up my list after this.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm a real fan of the newest one, too "Until All the Ghosts are Gone". I was surprised at how good it was. Vemod was my favorite before that and I never got into Nucleus that much. Maybe I'll drag it out and give it another listen.

Until All The Ghosts
    From Within
    Vemod

It really works in "Slow Fire" and the title track, less so (I think) in "Hole" although they come pretty close.
    I challenge anybody to listen to Hole attentively, and not get goosebumps in the last minute of it. The dramatic intensity - built in a masterful way - reaches breaking seppia level.

To me there is no doubt that From Within was a step forward for the band, more concentrated on songwriting than derivative prog exercises like the first two (which I also like). If they were lucky, they could/should break into the rock mainstream maybe - the times were favorable back then for such a musical proposal.

But nothing prepared me for the absolute winner that Until All Ghosts is. Where from being Prog or Post Rock or whatever, they suddenly surfaced as a truly great rock band, masters of the meaningful and deep rock song craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I challenge anybody to listen to Hole attentively, and not get goosebumps in the last minute of it. The dramatic intensity - built in a masterful way - reaches breaking seppia level.

To me there is no doubt that From Within was a step forward for the band, more concentrated on songwriting than derivative prog exercises like the first two (which I also like). If they were lucky, they could/should break into the rock mainstream maybe - the times were favorable back then for such a musical proposal.
    I've had up & downs with Within. I first strated loving it and it also helped that I helped organize the Belgian concert on that "tour", but a few years later, I grew bored out of it (I seemed to find it "vaccuous") and relegated it to their mid-era "blah" albums (Gravity & Time), though never sinking that low as those...

But upon my last reassessment (+/- 18 months ago or so), I brought it back up in the first pack of my faves. There is still a bit of Nucleus in that album, but IMHO, it's also a return to Vemod.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I challenge anybody to listen to Hole attentively, and not get goosebumps in the last minute of it.

But nothing prepared me for the absolute winner that Until All Ghosts is.
    I did listen anew to "Hole" this last weekend, and it was indeed better - whereas "Slow Fire" had lost some spark due to those rather lame vocals. Barker's voice isn't too weak in itself, but his English pronounciation is and his general technique/control of timbre is seriously lacking. Liljeström is a more solid singer overall, although his very voice is probably more one-dimensional.

All the Ghosts is a very fine release. Their mastering of "prog antic" comes more naturally here, and the sense of melancholy melody with the band reaches its zenith in "If It All Comes Down to You", which has an irresistible aura of sweeping glaze and dreamy haze about it. One of their most successfully unpretentious tracks, somewhat similar to the somber romanticism of "In Freedom" (from Nucleus) or "Prince of the Ocean" (from A Time of Day), both of which sport some truly refined arrangements but stay pretty elementary in melodic form. Great closing-tunes for albums.

It'll be interesting to see if they have yet another release in them before closing down for good. Things are seriously coming to an end for "rock" now, and I don't expect for there to be much left of it once the pandemic eventually is lifting. Younger folks generally tend to dislike it, just as they do with older folks (i.e. people over 35) and the notions of historical truth established before their time. They seem to want to rule the world without having to bother with the past except for their own banale simplifications of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

of "In Freedom" (from Nucleus) or "Prince of the Ocean" (from A Time of Day), both of which sport some truly refined arrangements but stay pretty elementary in melodic form.

...They seem to want to rule the world without having to bother with the past except for their own banale simplifications of it.
    In Freedom is easily for me the highlight of Nucleus, almost like not belonging to the rest of the album. And yes, this is what struck me in Until All Ghosts, that despite all seriously refined details, the melodic content is simple and powerful, like the 70's rock bands were doing it.

As for the youngsters, I wouldn't put the blame on them. There is a well organized plan of uprooting human beings and effacing the historical continuum is a top priority on it (I know, I am a conspiracy theorist who doesn't believe that the State and the Government loves us and just works for our own benefit).
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:47 AM.

Younger folks generally tend to dislike it, just as they do with older folks (i.e. people over 35) and the notions of historical truth established before their time. They seem to want to rule the world without having to bother with the past except for their own banale simplifications of it.

Well, that was also us, 40 years ago, wasn't? The Achilles tendon of the new generation is by being on the digital era, there is no construction of "past" to rebel against. So I will substitute "dislike" with "indifference", which is exactly their stance.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm good with the original releases, which I already have the complete discography of. I'm not as blindly buy remastered cds anymore, but I may have if they were remixed.
    Honestly, I'm still happy with what I've been listening to since 1998.
    Maybe I'll pick one up if I find it cheap, but that is doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wow, Nucleus seems to be a consistent favorite.
    I think it's because nucleus stands out within the discography. I can never pick a favorite because I really really like a bunch of songs per album so my favorite shifts all the time

I think that I like the band better when the bass player is singing

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I think that I like the band better when the bass player is singing
    That's something I rarely see discussed. I wonder how they came to gradually change their main singer over the years, it's quite unusual for a band with such a consistent lineup.

I think it's because nucleus stands out within the discography. I can never pick a favorite because I really really like a bunch of songs per album so my favorite shifts all the time
    It's definitely the most violent and nihilistic of their albums, for sure

I'm good with the original releases, which I already have the complete discography of. I'm not as blindly buy remastered cds anymore, but I may have if they were remixed.
    mmmhhh!!!... I did rebuy the first two (2 decades ago), because I couldn't live without their bonus track... they were not remasters, just the Japan-release issued at the time. I also bought (at great cost) the japan-only (at first anyway) Live Bootleg: there are two tracks available nowhere else - except maybe in Chapters (which I don't have).
    Other than that, I've stuck with the original releases.

One day, I should really pick up their Waking The Dead live album. if not OOP

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That's something I rarely see discussed. I wonder how they came to gradually change their main singer over the years, it's quite unusual for a band with such a consistent lineup.
    one would have to see if the songwriting balance changed as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I wonder how they came to gradually change their main singer over the years, it's quite unusual for a band with such a consistent lineup.
    As said earlier, they opted for each of the two to sing their "own" tunes from Nucleus and on. They've done so pretty much consistently since.

Barker's voice isn't too weak in itself, but his English pronounciation is and his general technique/control of timbre is seriously lacking. Liljeström is a more solid singer overall, although his voice is probably more one-dimensional
    Barker displays those "flat" consonants so typical of Nordic tongue, meaning 'K' comes out as Ki instead of hK (blaek'i for black, leaving out the semi-silent tonation), 'S' coming out as iss and so on. It's actually a bit painful on constant listening, especially if you're Scandinavian.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

As said earlier, they opted for each of the two to sing their "own" tunes from Nucleus and on. They've done so pretty much consistently since.

Barker displays those "flat" consonants so typical of Nordic tongue, meaning 'K' comes out as Ki instead of hK (blaek'i for black, leaving out the semi-silent tonation), 'S' coming out as iss and so on. It's actually a bit painful on constant listening, especially if you're Scandinavian.
    I didn't know they were both singing back in the Nucleus days. The sounded a lot more alike then...or maybe I never noticed the difference.
    The stand out track on Time of Day is 30 Pieces, and to me that is mostly because of the vocals. He's a more dynamic vocalist.

The accent always makes it cooler to me.
    Especially the pronunciations

^ None of them were considered "good" vocalists, but at least Liljeström had a certain mastering of his own limitations. Nicklas Berg/Barker (back then) showed little of that, and particularly in concert. Thx for referencing my post to someone who'd otherwise wouldn't know, btw.

Thx for referencing my post to someone who'd otherwise not know, btw.
    Icehole!

Thanks. I must have missed it.

Damn, Nucleus has three bonus tracks.might need to get that one?

I can't believe these guys haven't gotten the Box Set treatment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I can't believe these guys haven't gotten the Box Set treatment yet.
    If they do, let's hope Esoteric don't do it.

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Why not?
    I think they failed with the Fruupp and Baker Gurvitz Army box sets. Fruupp had no liner notes, yet the previous remaster individual releases had liner notes, so they could have included all of that instead of wasting space on both sides of the poster...that's right, a poster with multiple images, are we still 13 , who wants a poster over liner notes and lyrics.
    I think the same was done for the Baker Gurvitz Army, but can't remember if the previous versions had liner note.

Cherry Red however did a great job on the two REO Speedwagon boxes(even if no lyrics were included...I feel lyrics should always be included...it stems from my early days of not knowing what King Diamond was singing on Abigail)