Thread: New music from David Longdon (Big Big Train) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention)

New music from David Longdon (Big Big Train) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention)

This is some exciting news! Big Big Train singer David Longdon will release an album with former Fairport Convention and Trader Horne vocalist Judy Dyble in September. Burning Shed is taking pre-orders for vinyl and signed CDs, but I am sure Laser's Edge and other online vendors will carry this as well.

From loudersound.com article:

Dyble Longdon's Between A Breath And A Breath will be released through English Electric on September 25. A vinyl edition will be released through Plane Groovy. he album contains seven original compositions with all lyrics by Judy Dyble and music and production by Longdon.

“I first heard David sing with Big Big Train at King’s Place in London 2015 and immediately decided that I really wanted to sing with him someday," explains Dyble. "And here we are with a collaborative album, which I think is wonderful!”

“Judy asked if I would like to work with her," adds Longdon. "She sent me some great lyrics which inspired the music and over the years we’ve become good friends. Judy duetted with me on The Ivy Gate, which appears on Big Big Train’s Grimspound album. The Dyble Longdon album is a natural development on from this piece.”

Dyble announced last November she was suffering from lung cancer but says the illness, nor the recent COVID-19 pandemic, has not impacted on her lyric writing for the album: “The lyrics for these songs virtually wrote themselves, with minor tweaks, as music grew around them," she explains. "All were written before I was diagnosed and before the dreadful virus stamped its footprint on our world.

“Quite a few of my lyrics have a touch of sadness about them but always with an optimism for the future and a desire to know what happens next. France, Whisper and Obedience tell stories suggested in conversations and Between A Breath And A Breath is sheer magic. Astrologers was a simple ‘Hmmpph! Stop it!, while Heartwashing and Tidying Away were just poems which wrote themselves.”

Between A Breath And A Breath was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and Playpen Studios in Bristol. The album has been produced by Longdon and mixed by Patrick Phillips (Elbow, Kate Bush and Sir Paul McCartney). The artwork for the album is by Big Big Train artist Sarah Ewing.

Track listing:
    1. Astrologers
    2. Obedience
    3. Tidying Away The Pieces
    4. Between A Breath And A Breath
    5. France
    6. Whisper
    7. Heartwashing

RIP Judy Dyble

13th February 1949 – 12th July 2020

12th July 2020: It is with great sadness that we announce that English singer-songwriter Judy Dyble passed away on 12th July 2020 following a long illness borne with great courage.
    Judy Dyble was one of the pioneers of the English folk rock scene in the 1960s, most notably as a founding member of Fairport Convention and vocalist with cult band Trader Horne.
    Judy largely withdrew from the music scene in the early 1970s to concentrate on her family before being invited back to the Fairport fold in 1997 for the 30th anniversary reunion at Cropredy. To Judy’s great relief, her worries, ahead of the event, disappeared as ‘suddenly the years fell away.’ Further Fairport anniversary appearances reassured Judy and showed that her passion for music had remained through the years and she made three albums with Marc Swordfish, of Astralasia, as she began a revival of her music career.
    This included numerous guest appearances on albums by a host of artists including, in 2017, Big Big Train. Judy went on to form a close working relationship with Big Big Train’s multi-instrumentalist frontman David Longdon. Together they will release their album Between A Breath And A Breath on 25th September 2020, with Longdon providing the music for Judy’s poignant lyrics.

Two songs from the Dyble Longdon sessions which are not included on the album, Crossbones and The Daguerreotype, will be released by English Electric in the autumn subsequent to the release of Between A Breath And A Breath as a tribute to Judy Dyble via Bandcamp.
    The lyrics for Judy’s final collection of songs are, at times, haunting and beautifully fragile, dark in tone but neither morbid nor desperate. Specifically, The Daguerreotype looks at how the Victorians dealt with death, turning it into an art form.
    In accordance with Judy’s request, Crossbones and The Daguerreotype will be made available as free downloads, with listeners being encouraged to make a donation to Judy’s chosen charity, the Barley Greyhound Sanctuary (www.barleykennels.co.uk/) if they wish.
    David Longdon says: “It is with great sadness that I write to say that my dear friend Judy Dyble passed away this morning. Judy and I became friends during the writing and making of this album. Along the way, there was much laughter and joy - but also challenging moments. She was a woman of a certain age and she wrote articulately and unflinchingly about the autumn phase of her life.”
    “She dealt with her illness with incredible courage and fortitude. She suspected this album was her swan song and she gave it her all. Judy reassured me that she’d had a great life. Which indeed she did. And I will miss her greatly.”
    We wish to express our deepest sympathies to Judy’s family, friends and many associates from her musical career at this time.
    Judy’s family would like to thank her fans for their messages and good wishes on social media over the last few weeks, but at this time ask that they avoid contacting them for now as they would just like some quiet time.

RIP Judy.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Very sad news.

From her autobiography and her social media presence, she came across as a lovely, bubbly, positive person and, of course, she was a real talent. Beautiful voice and fine songwriter. Her second coming as a recording artist has been a joy to behold.

I have to fight back tears on this one. Sad to see. She left us with some great music.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Her version of I Talk To The Wind is captivating. This is terribly sad news.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This is so sad, and in so many ways, the imbalanced nature of life isn't fair when horrible people get to live into their 80's and 90's, and someone who gave such beauty back to the world is taken oh so early.
    But that's an argument for another time, and with this great loss to not only the world of music, but to the world itself, to focus on her gift, and thankful she graced us with her beautiful voice and soul.

Just listened to Dreamtime from her Talking with Strangers album, and I'm still getting goosebumps.
    Fly free and soar high beautiful Judy.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-12-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned

New music from David Longdon (Big Big Train) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention)

RIP Judy[emoji17]

Banned
    Another recent release from Judy:

6FDE452F-B491-48C3-A9C6-514631E8079C.jpg

Very sad news, Rest in Peace Judy.

Very sad. For a while about six years ago we had some communications after I wished her a happy 65th birthday as it was my 67th. We shared Feb 13th. I kidded her about just being a kid. The two groups that stated me on my passion were King Crimson and Fairport Convention and Judy had a part in both. Love you Judy.

Another great gone. Love that Trader Horne album.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

New video from the forthcoming album:

Thanks of posting. Sounds quite decent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks of posting. Sounds quite decent.
    Quite excellent, is it released?

Astrologers sounds great. I want to here it all, if the rest is just as good is it's auto buy. And I hope that Judy is resting and singing with her Fairport sister Sandy Denny in the great beyond.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Quite excellent, is it released?
    Comes out on the 25th according to Burning Shed.

My copy of this arrived yesterday, and I've had it on constantly since then.
    It's probably my favourite album of the year.
    What a shame Judy never got to see it released.

I love the variety of the songs and arrangements. The lyrics are like little stories.

"Astrologers" is quite nice. I look forward to listening to the whole album.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Interestingly Judy's voice has a bit of a Sonja Kristina thing to my ears. Which makes this music somewhat Curved Air-ish IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Interestingly Judy's voice has a bit of a Sonja Kristina thing to my ears. Which makes this music somewhat Curved Air-ish IMO.
    Sonja was a absolutely stunning beauty in the 1970s.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been listening to this album recently. The whole thing is excellent! A couple of unreleased tracks from the same sessions have recently been released on Bandcamp (and Spotify). These unreleased tracks aren't quite as good as the ones on the album, so I guess these are b-side quality.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have been enjoying this album, a bit mellower than my usual fare but I love David's compositions.