Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEAL MORSE: SOLA GRATIA... new concept solo album to be released September 11th

Church

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Man's gotta feed his family. No shame in that.
    CHUUUCH!!

Quotes

Circe was an ancient Greek goddess who could hypnotize men, bring them into her house, and turn them into animals
    -- taking their minds away, so that they could support and feed her.
    She was known as "Mother Circe," and her worship was brought to medieval Scotland, in whose language Circe became "Kirk."
    The Scottish word "Kirk" becomes "Church" in English.
    Where else have we seen the word "Kirk?"
    Ah yes, we have "Captain Kirk" taking mankind where it has never gone before
    ...... with the U.S.S. Enterprise:

We know that churches are money-making corporations / "enterprises."
    Is this why churches and money are both divided into "denominations?" ~ Jordan Maxwell

http://www.whale.to/c/circe.html

Back to the Music: I pulled out an Old CD by Spock's Beard "The Light" (1995) which I haven't listened to it for years. Bought it off Ken Golden's Laser's Edge site circa the time when I went to my first Progressive Rock Festival ~ Progday 1996 ~ (hint: was the starting of the "NEARfest" concept)....sounded GREAT, loved the track although I haven't followed Neal Morse since about 2001 since I saw him live with Mike Portnoy in the Transatlantic performance of NEARfest 2001....

anyhoo... 11:11 ~ JESUS WINS
    https://ascensionglossary.com/index.php/Christos-Sophia

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you expect Neal to release a new CD for free?
    It's a tossed-off snarky remark with underlying sarcastic commentary. These things don't write and post themselves.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I still need to pick that one up! Is it very different from his NMB or NM albums? Was nice to see him working with Nick again.
    A little too schlock-rock musical for my tastes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    And here I was, thinking he had toned down the religious content !
    At least with Sola Scriptura, and I guess this new one, he's dealing with some historical (or at least possibly historical) events as a framework. Even his most religious albums are about his development as a human being. It could be a lot worse - his albums could be non-stop praise-fests. I definitely don't feel like I can't at all relate to his work, even though I'm an atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Sola Scriptura is Neal's masterpiece, for me. If this gets anywhere near the quality of that one, then it'll be candidate for album of the year.
    I too always found Sola Scriptura to be pretty much his best album. It has some balls. Nothing he does is a "must buy" for me, but I'm usually interested to check out what he's up to.

He's talented and the music is decent but a little too samey for me. You could take all his albums and mix up the songs in a random order and I wouldn't notice the difference.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    You could take all his albums and mix up the songs in a random order and I wouldn't notice the difference.
    That is, no kidding, how I generally listen to Neal Morse. It's more interesting if you don't know if the next song will be vintage Spock's, recent grandiosity, an acoustic ballad, or a cover of a classic pop song.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I still need to pick that one up! Is it very different from his NMB or NM albums? Was nice to see him working with Nick again.
    You won't find a bigger Neal Morse fan than me but Jesus Christ The Exorcist is unlistenable. Maybe it works on stage but solely as a musical experience it lacks everything I love about Neal. Just shockingly bad.
    Prog's Not Dead

11:11 ~ JESUS WINS #ChristosSophia

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    At least with Sola Scriptura, and I guess this new one, he's dealing with some historical (or at least possibly historical) events as a framework. Even his most religious albums are about his development as a human being. It could be a lot worse - his albums could be non-stop praise-fests. I definitely don't feel like I can't at all relate to his work, even though I'm an atheist.
    I remember back circa 2001 when Neal Morse became an out-of-the-closet Christian (at a point in my life where I was an atheist), It rather annoyed me that he got all Jesus-y. I don't remember when but maybe it was around the time of the Spock's Beard album "Snow"... I read about his testimony of someone in his family getting ill and Jesus came to the rescue...

Anyhow today I am not an atheist, rather a Gnostic Christian which now intrigues me as I will back track on his discography that I missed over the years.

I too always found Sola Scriptura to be pretty much his best album. It has some balls. Nothing he does is a "must buy" for me, but I'm usually interested to check out what he's up to.
    DULY NOTED

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    You won't find a bigger Neal Morse fan than me but Jesus Christ The Exorcist is unlistenable. Maybe it works on stage but solely as a musical experience it lacks everything I love about Neal. Just shockingly bad.
    Interesting... I liked it a lot :-). It was a surprise to me. I like Nick D'Virgilio song and all the others.... Though there is is one that reminds me to a Michael Jackson song.

I really enjoy what these musicians do, regardless of who is "collaborating". Some of the sameness in Neal's lyrical content is unavoidable, given his output of material. Limited to one subject... All these musicians are always worth listening to. How many other bands are still doing new music of this quality?

Really enjoyed the Tull song redone... well done. those fills were either as good or better than the original, if that's possible.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

First song from the new album:

The "band" plays quite powerfully on this cut; especially when the drums kick in after the vocal intro. I like it. Of course, with the title and lyrics being overtly and fervently religious, there should be a lot of detractors posting about the preaching aspect. I have no problem with it when the music is this well done.

As an atheist, I don't really have a problem with the lyrics - they're just as good as any airy-fairy lyrics about some mystical magical world albeit a bit more obvious.

also an atheist and like Neal Morse. i don't have any of his solo religion solo albums. didn't get the exorcist album because there are too many singers on it. looks like this one rocks, so it might keep us satisfied until the next NMB album- most likely next year. i don't like Flying colours because of the singer. Transatlantic is ok, their new album is finished but they are holding back the release until they can tour next year. but it's amazing how much music Neal has in him.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ... didn't get the exorcist album because there are too many singers on it...
    Could you imagine Jesus Christ Superstar sang by only one singer? Neal's version is the prog version.

Pre-orders started on Friday at Neal's site: https://nealmorse.com/product/sola-gratia-neal-morse/

If you want to get a signed copy you have until the end of the day today.

Meal Norse - Grola Satia
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

Transatlantic is ok, their new album is finished but they are holding back the release until they can tour next year.
    I must have missed this piece of information. Do you have a source confirming that the original September release date is pushed back?

I must have missed this piece of information. Do you have a source confirming that the original September release date is pushed back?
    I haven't seen anything official either but I'm thinking BravadoNJ is right on this assumption. Neal Morse release is now the one set for Sept. and there will be a new Flower Kings album also this fall probably in November. So hopefully it is early 2021 for Transatlantic. Wonder if they are taking this time to further refine the album?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Huh. I had a great time with this album, loved the diversity of it and even some of the humor in it. Didn't expect to love it nearly as much as I do. It seemed to check off most of the strengths of Neal, so I'm surprised to hear it lacks everything you love about Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Huh. I had a great time with this album, loved the diversity of it and even some of the humor in it. Didn't expect to love it nearly as much as I do. It seemed to check off most of the strengths of Neal, so I'm surprised to hear it lacks everything you love about Neal.
    You and I are so often synched up in our tastes so yeah, I'm surprised but JCTE never did it for me. And I love Ted's voice so I don't know what the problem is/was...
    Prog's Not Dead

i go by what i see on his facebook page. they were recording the new Transatlantic album earlier this year, before he recorded his new solo album. so i just figure it's finished. Pete still has commitments with Marillion, so they must be waiting to release it to coincide with some live dates to promote it- maybe 2021. the pandemic mess has thrown a monkey wrench into every artists plans. social media is Neal's only contact with his fans. it's not like to hear him on the radio or music publications.

i go by what i see on his facebook page. they were recording the new Transatlantic album earlier this year, before he recorded his new solo album. so i just figure it's finished. Pete still has commitments with Marillion, so they must be waiting to release it to coincide with some live dates to promote it- maybe 2021. the pandemic mess has thrown a monkey wrench into every artists plans. social media is Neal's only contact with his fans. it's not like to hear him on the radio or music publications.
    I just recently re-joined the Inner Circle and the latest newsletter didn't have too much news on Transatlantic - they are still keeping things pretty hush hush. Neal said he did do some additional work on it, some lyric changes etc.. Sounded like some last minute fine tuning since he had some time. But Rich is already now mixing it. I do wish they would have let Roine do the mixing just for a slight change in sound. Many fans prefer his mix of SMPTe. But of course I'm super excited for anything new from the guys.

^^^ he's always on his Face book page talking about what he's doing. i think it's the best source of information.