Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEAL MORSE: SOLA GRATIA... new concept solo album to be released September 11th

NEAL MORSE: SOLA GRATIA... new concept solo album to be released September 11th

...from Neal's FB page.

"I'm so pleased to announce that my new solo prog concept album, 'Sola Gratia,' will be available everywhere September 11th! ‘Sola Gratia’ quickly came together at the beginning of this year and I've been fortunate to be able to work remotely with my dear friends and long-time collaborators Mike Portnoy, Randy George, Eric Gillette, Bill Hubauer, and Gideon Klein on this project.

The title ‘Sola Gratia’ of course has echoes of my 2007 album ‘Sola Scriptura,' about the life of Martin Luther, but was in fact originally the result of a simple misunderstanding between me and my wife, Cherie. I was talking to Cherie about debuting this new piece at Morsefest 2020, and she said she thought it would be good for me to do a solo album. However, I thought she said ‘Sola album’ and – because some of the new ideas involved Paul’s aggressive pursuit of the early Christians, I could see a link to some of the themes of persecution in ‘Sola Scriptura.'

‘Sola Gratia’ will be available as a limited CD/DVD Digipak (featuring a ‘Making-Of’ documentary - put together by Randy!), gatefold 2LP + CD, standard CD jewel case, and as a digital album. The stellar cover art was created by another longtime collaborator, Thomas Ewerhard.

PRE-ORDERS BEGIN AT RADIANT RECORDS ON FRIDAY, JULY 17TH! I'm putting together a downloadable booklet with my handwritten lyrics and thoughts on the writing/recording of the album. This booklet will come included with every pre-order (a Radiant exclusive!)

I'm so excited to share this new album with you all!

God bless you,

Neal"

Track Listing:
    1. Preface
    2. Overture
    3. In The Name Of The Lord
    4. Ballyhoo (The Chosen Ones)
    5. March Of The Pharisees
    6. Building A Wall
    7. Sola Intermezzo
    8. Overflow
    9. Warmer Than The Sunshine
    10. Never Change
    11. Seemingly Sincere
    12. The Light On The Road To Damascus
    13. The Glory Of The Lord
    14. Now I Can See/The Great Commission

God ble$$ you.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    God ble$$ you.
    Did you expect Neal to release a new CD for free?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Sounds intriguing; looking forward to hearing it. I wonder if he has any plans to tour with it, assuming things lighten up enough to allow for a concert tour?

And here I was, thinking he had toned down the religious content !

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you expect Neal to release a new CD for free?
    With some folks it seems you're darned if you do, and darned if you don't. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    God ble$$ you.
    Man's gotta feed his family. No shame in that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    And here I was, thinking he had toned down the religious content !
    To his credit, he eases up on that when he works on the group projects, Transatlantic and Flying Colors. So I don't begrudge him his theology dissertations in his solo albums.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I wonder why this is a "Neal Morse" album, and not a "Neal Morse Band" album, since everyone in the NMB is still playing on it.

Ooo! A Preface AND an Overture. goodie!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I wonder why this is a "Neal Morse" album, and not a "Neal Morse Band" album, since everyone in the NMB is still playing on it.
    Apparently Neal sings everything and wrote it all - thus the Neal Morse nameplate. I'm betting its obvious link to Sola Scriptura has something to do with it as well. Either way I am super excited!!! I love Neal. I hope it's so religious that all the fake Morse fans scream with tormented cries. I'm a Christian but Venom and Slayer's lyrics never caused me any consternation...
    Prog's Not Dead

Sola Scriptura is Neal's masterpiece, for me. If this gets anywhere near the quality of that one, then it'll be candidate for album of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    Man's gotta feed his family. No shame in that.
    Yep.

....it's not like his record label and radio give him any attention. people use social media to promote themselves today, why not him.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    From the email we got:

"The music was recorded ‘virtually’ in April 2020 at the height of the Coronavirus lockdown with long term collaborators Mike Portnoy and Randy George: “It’s the first album we have ever made remotely: I sent them the basic tracks and asked if they wanted to rearrange things, but they just said ‘No, it’s great!’, so they just played to it and sent their parts back over. It wasn’t an easy way to make an album, but creating always has its challenges, no matter how you do it.”
    As Morse explains, it was this process that decided that Sola Gratia was to be a Neal Morse album, rather than being credited to The Neal Morse Band: “With the Neal Morse Band, the whole band works together on the writing, and while Eric Gillette plays some guitar and Bill Hubauer has added some keyboards on this one, neither of them wrote – or is singing – on this album."

Autobuy as always with Neal...though I am having some buyer's regret about that Jesus Christ Exorcist thang...

How similar to Monster Movie is this record?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    "... with long term collaborators Mike Portnoy and Randy George....
    Strange that none collaboration from the other guys. They were not allowed to collaborate?

Awesome...I needed another track named "Overture" in my Neal Morse catalog.

Limited edition of 5,000 to be personally created by Neal from 5 CDs and 2 eight-track tapes.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Awesome...I needed another track named "Overture" in my Neal Morse catalog.
    If you ask "Alexa, play 'Overture' by Neal Morse." what happens?? System Meltdown??

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post

Autobuy as always with Neal...though I am having some buyer's regret about that Jesus Christ Exorcist thang...
    I still need to pick that one up! Is it very different from his NMB or NM albums? Was nice to see him working with Nick again.

Neal and co taking on a Hymn of a different kind:

I can't believe Neal didn't name the album The Friends of Mr. Chi-Rho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Neal and co taking on a Hymn of a different kind:

Neal singing those lyrics is strangely satisfying, haha!

I've enjoyed these cover albums and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. Morse's voice sounds better than it has in a while, maybe because a somewhat torn-up vocal tone sounds normal when doing aan Ian Anderson song.

His critics have every right to their opinions, but his surfeit of talent is not disputable.