Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman On The Upcoming Gentle Giant Virtual Reunion

Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman On The Upcoming Gentle Giant Virtual Reunion

Looks like the 'virtual reunion' of Gentle Giant is happening!

https://youtu.be/7a7MgmFTw-s

Yes - he mentioned this was happening a few weeks ago on the Sea of Tranquility interview:

Very cool! I want to hear/see it!

OMG! I can't believe it and can't wait! ALWAYS one of my favorite English prog bands, and a solid example of what is progressive rock. Saw the band 4 times, my favorite when they played the Whisky-A-G0-Go in Hollywood, I believe it was 1974. Wow I am so stoked!

I just watched the Sea of Tranquility interview. Learned a lot about GG that I never knew. And the reunion is just one song, Proclamation. One song is better that none, and I hope there will be more to come. All of the protagonists will be present, so be there or be square!
    Last edited by AncientChord; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:06 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Um, when is this and how can I sign up to watch or listen to it?

I saw GG circa 1978 or 1979 at the tower theater in Philly. They were amazing. I would love to see them again!!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I too am interested in seeing this.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

They are only appearing in a video together. NOT playing, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    They are only appearing in a video together. NOT playing, correct?
    No they are playing the song Proclamation. It's all about the release and promotion of the huge box set Unburied Treasure, which includes 29 CD's, a book, posters, and a tour program, etc. The real highlight here is that some of the audio releases are from concerts never previously released. If you take the time to watch the whole above^^^^interview you'll learn the details, and for certain it will be announced here.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^ So they didn't sell out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    No they are playing the song Proclamation. It's all about the release and promotion of the huge box set Unburied Treasure, which includes 29 CD's, a book, posters, and a tour program, etc. The real highlight here is that some of the audio releases are from concerts never previously released. If you take the time to watch the whole above^^^^interview you'll learn the details, and for certain it will be announced here.
    Still sounds to me like he's talking about an elaborate video-sync thing, where the Giant guys (and other celebrities?) would be shown playing along to the record. Which I'm sure will be fun. But if it is something more exciting than that, great!

Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    I saw GG circa 1978 or 1979 at the tower theater in Philly. They were amazing. I would love to see them again!!!
    I saw them at the tower during the civilian tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interviewing Derek for PE Friday. Anything extra you'd like me to ask about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm interviewing Derek for PE Friday. Anything extra you'd like me to ask about this?
    Will the first album be release separately in 5.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I saw them at the tower during the civilian tour.

Me too (my one and only time seeing GG live). Awesome show too.

BTW, do you remember who opened the show? (I'm trying to help Jack Skelly verify this, as there's some contention about who actually played in that opening slot. I think I know, BTW, but am hoping you'll remember independently.) Thanks.

Best wishes,

Alan

From loudersound.com:

Gentle Giant members reunite virtually for first time since 1980 along with members of King Crimson, Yes and more

The classic Gentle Giant line-up have reunited for the first time in nearly four decades for an extraordinary new video. Pieced together over the last few months, it’s a brand new performance of Proclamation (originally from the legendary prog band’s 1974 album The Power & The Glory) including appearances from GG alumni Derek and Ray Shulman, Gary Green, Kerry Minnear, John Weathers and Malcolm Mortimore, alongside a dazzling array of contributions from some remarkably talented fans. There are also cameos from numerous notable musicians including Jakko Jakszyk, Billy Sherwood, Yes/Steve Hackett bassist Lee Pomeroy, Dan Reed (Dan Reed Network), Richard Hilton (Chic) and Mikey Heppner (Priestess).

“This terrible pandemic is being felt all over the world and with everyone being stuck at home, I figured now would be the perfect time to bring positivity out in the world, bring everyone together and celebrate our love of music and Gentle Giant,” explains Noah Shulman, son of Derek and mastermind behind this project. “Over the years I was always amazed with how many people were filming their renditions of Gentle Giant tracks from all over the world on an array of instruments. So that sparked the idea of wanting to see them all in one place, blending sounds and instruments into a single track.”

Due to be premiered online in the coming days, the Proclamation Fan Video was clearly a logistical and technical challenge to put together, not least due to the exhilarating complexity of the song itself. Directed and edited by Noah Shulman and mixed by his uncle Ray, the video is likely to be remembered most for the momentous reuniting of the real Gentle Giant, albeit only briefly and via to the wonders of remote communication. Given that the band have never seemed likely to reform in any meaningful way, this is an undeniably significant and exciting moment for fans everywhere. As Noah admits, however, it wasn’t the easiest trick to pull off.

Wow! I've got my calendar marked for this one. Thanks for the info Dan.

Wow, that's huge! A must see, I think!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post

BTW, do you remember who opened the show? (I'm trying to help Jack Skelly verify this, as there's some contention about who actually played in that opening slot. I think I know, BTW, but am hoping you'll remember independently.) Thanks.

Best wishes,

Alan
    You’re really testing my memory on that one. I’ll think it over and see if I remember but I’m not sure if I would.

Rick

You’re really testing my memory on that one. I’ll think it over and see if I remember but I’m not sure if I would.

Rick

Looked at my ticket stub but no mention of the opening act.

IMG_0121.JPG

Best wishes,

Alan
    Found this in my archives :
    May 16 1980 Tower Theatre
    "The opening act was the Granati Brothers , a band for whom Ray had produced some demos"

Looked at my ticket stub but no mention of the opening act.

IMG_0121.JPG

Thanks a lot for the follow-up, Rick. I had my stub for years, but put it somewhere so special that I haven't been able to find it for about 10 years now. (I didn't recall there being an opening band listed on the stub, but it's good to know for sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Found this in my archives :
    May 16 1980 Tower Theatre
    "The opening act was the Granati Brothers , a band for whom Ray had produced some demos"
    That matches my recollection, thanks--but Jack seems to think this is incorrect and that it was Philip D’Arrow instead, as per his entry for the show here:

http://ggconcerts.on-reflection.org/part8.htm

Still trying to get a definitive answer on this, as I'm still not convinced it wasn't actually the Granati Brothers.

Cheers,

Alan

That matches my recollection, thanks--but Jack seems to think this is incorrect and that it was Philip D’Arrow instead, as per his entry for the show here:

http://ggconcerts.on-reflection.org/part8.htm

Still trying to get a definitive answer on this, as I'm still not convinced it wasn't actually the Granati Brothers.

Cheers,

Alan
    I saw them only once in 76 in Düsseldorf , great concert which spoiled my music taste until now and the support act was Banco and there is no way you forget Francesco Di Giacomo when you saw him on stage :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I saw them only once in 76 in Düsseldorf , great concert which spoiled my music taste until now and the support act was Banco and there is no way you forget Francesco Di Giacomo when you saw him on stage :-)
    Banco with Gentle Giant. Amazing! How I would love to have seen that show.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Banco with Gentle Giant. Amazing! How I would love to have seen that show.
    John Weathers once told me back in '77 that he was quite "humbled"by Banco playing ahead of GG. he knew I was a big fan of them...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature