Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Questions for Steve Hackett?

Any Questions for Steve Hackett?

I'm on a bit of a roll lately and have a phone interview with Steve coming up in a couple weeks.

If you have any questions about the biography, A Genesis In My Bed or ANY part of his career, post them here.

I will upload it to my YouTube page and share the interview here once it's ready.

-S

How about:
    What has he done during the virus shutdown? Was it an overall negative experience or was it positive?

and

Does he enjoy playing for people as much as he seems to?

Banned
    Way to go, Sean! Pretty impressive catch for your show.

Q: Does he consider 'Voyage Of The Acolyte" as a masterpiece in his body of work?

Q: What were his first thoughts/impressions when he first heard "And Then There Were Three", following his departure.

Thank you.

Two questions:

1) Since most consider your first 4 albums classics/masterpieces, would you forgo all the collaborations and 'guests' (like your newer releases), and get back to a 4 or 5 piece band album?

2) Have any of the current or past members of Genesis seen your revisited shows? Did they give you any thoughts on it?

Thank you, cheers

Ask him if he's thought about doing the full Lamb live as another one of his Genesis tours.

1, I would be curious if he has or how many times he has seen Genesis since he left and what his thoughts are regarding the 3 man era as a live band. I'd be curious what he thought of Daryl's guitar interpretations.

2, Ray Wilson interprets the Pete era tunes brilliantly perhaps better than anyone has in my opinion and has sang with Steve, was he ever in the running for the job Nad now has or would that haver been to close of a connection.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing Steve... never enough of Mr. Hackett!

What was it like working with Steve Walsh and Phil Ehart?

What inspired "In Memoriam"?

Steve: After 50 Years as a professional musician, what do you still wish to accomplish with your music? Anyone you still wish to collaborate with? Any “missed” opportunities you wish to share? As one of our generations story tellers that has led us through our 20’s, 30’s etc; have you any insights you care to address as we enter our last few years? Instead of “Suppers Ready”....how about “Dessert’s Done?”
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Are there any tracks that Genesis recorded after he left that he really wishes he had played on, or which he would really like to do his own version of?

In a similar vein, given that Chris Squire once suggested he might join Yes, and Robert Fripp at various times in the past suggested him as someone who might fill in for him in a King Crimson lineup, are there any songs by Yes or King Crimson that he'd just really love to play?

I'd also like to hear something about the Tokyo Tapes band with John Wetton, Ian MacDonald, Julian Colbeck, and Chester Thompson. How did that particular configuration come together, and was there any talk of that group working together longer term?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post

Q: What were his first thoughts/impressions when he first heard "And Then There Were Three", following his departure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Are there any tracks that Genesis recorded after he left that he really wishes he had played on, or which he would really like to do his own version of?
    These questions will thrill him. He will be delighted to know that given the opportunity, this is what people want to ask of a musician who has done his best to forge a solo career for the last four decades.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

1.One of my favorite Genesis songs is Seven Stones. I'm curious as to why it's never been performed and will you ever consider adding it to your Genesis Revisited shows?

2. Thank you for revisiting the Selling England session song Deja Vu. With Nad Sylvan singing, this beautiful song is now fully realized as a lost Genesis classic. Any plans of releasing it officially on a future live album?

3. I've been to two Genesis Revisited Shows since 2013, but would love to attend another in the future. I live near Los Angeles, and see no future dates for any future shows. With the virus putting everything on hold, are there any chances you would add any future concerts on the U.S west coast when you return to America?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Any thoughts on the GTR era? Any stories left to be told about that project ?

Any recollections about recording The Road with Quiet World? Have you or John (Hackett) kept in touch with the other pair of brothers in that band, playwrights/filmmakers John and Lea Heather?

Any memorable anecdotes from the writing/recording of Wild Orchids?

One of my favourite instrumental tracks is 'Twice Around The Sun' from Darktown. Did anything in particular inspire it?

What do you remember about the Aron Friedman composition 'Tristesse' from Guitar Noir?

Steve, do you have any questions for Derek Shulman?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Will Steve ever get back to a more solo focused show? If so would he consider dusting off some rarities like 'what's my name', 'leaving', etc.

Also - what does Steve think now when he hears songs like 'Stadiums of the Damned' or 'Slot Machine' which have such an 80s sound?

Are there any Solo songs where Steve looks back on and says 'man - this song is terrible!' ('Turn back Time' comes to mind)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    These questions will thrill him. He will be delighted to know that given the opportunity, this is what people want to ask of a musician who has done his best to forge a solo career for the last four decades.
    Whoa, so much for the "there's no such thing as a stupid question" approach.

Reading this post and the suggestions from PE members, it is obvious that he will be asked a wide range of questions covering all aspects of his time with Genesis, his solo career and other projects/collaborations that he has been involved in. Some will look to the past, some to the present and even to the future. It is natural for his fans (or just interested music fans in general) to be curious about his views on other artists releases and projects, particularly when he was once a key part of the artists body of work.

Apart from that, the intent of an interview is not necessarily to thrill the interviewee, but to elicit from him his feelings relative to music and to life in general (for instance, the last Garyhead query, above). Based on what I have read about his temperament and overall mettle, I think he will field the questions with candor and fairness to all.

You're quite right, he is an exceedingly polite chap and a class act. I know from interviewing him myself. And from receiving an unexpected note of thanks a few weeks later, saying he really enjoyed it. But then, my focus was on his music (new and old). I can assure you that as polite as his response might be to a question about which later Genesis song does he "really wish he played on", he will be rolling his eyes inwardly and wondering what he has to do to get people interested in what's gone on in the last forty-something years. Sure, people can ask what they want, and such is the nature of gathering random fan questions from the internet rather than a more standard interview, but there could also be a bit more consideration and respect shown. IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I Totally Agree ... Also, if Steve does not want to revisit the baggage of Genesis then he likely have done multiple albums and tours in which he actively seeks to revisit Genesis...

I too have wondered what he thought about And then there were three... and if he (like many others) was a fan of their 80s output... like if "Tonight Tonight Tonight" came on the radio did he turn it off or was he like 'I know those guys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Pedals Rock View Post
    I Totally Agree ... Also, if Steve does not want to revisit the baggage of Genesis then he likely have done multiple albums and tours in which he actively seeks to revisit Genesis...
    I think if you look closely, you'll find that he was actually involved in that music in the first place. But by all means, ask him about "Tonight Tonight Tonight". Just be prepared for an underwhelming response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think if you look closely, you'll find that he was actually involved in that music in the first place. But by all means, ask him about "Tonight Tonight Tonight". Just be prepared for an underwhelming response.
    How about seeking his views on a Phil Collins classic, for instance Sussudio?

All kidding aside, the reason for my curiosity relative to "And Then There Were Three" focuses on the carryover ideas and writing that Steve may have been a part of before he left the band, as "Seconds Out" was being released. Were there any vestiges of his song writing that he can discern in their new sound, or was it devoid of his influence completely? One thing I did read about ATTW3 is that: "the majority of the album was formed of pre-written songs, not ones developed from jams and improvisations...". Did any of the pre-written songs have his ideas or thoughts contained within them, things that perhaps were being tossed about when he was still composing and playing with the band?

My other proposed question is more important to my way of thinking, that of "Voyage Of The Acolyte" being considered a masterpiece by him.

Beyond that, I like the questions being proposed by posters in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Ask him if he's thought about doing the full Lamb live as another one of his Genesis tours.
    Great idea!

I don't think Steve is a huge fan of The Lamb, as the guitar parts were rather slight, from his point of view.

Ask him if I can borrow 10 bucks until August!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    1.One of my favorite Genesis songs is Seven Stones. I'm curious as to why it's never been performed and will you ever consider adding it to your Genesis Revisited shows?
    I asked him about that, as it's also a favourite of mine. In case you are interested, here was his response:

Funnily enough, if I'm thinking like a producer... Seven Stones sounded very different when we rehearsed it. The mellotron had a whole load of spring reverb on it which gave it a certain kind of expansiveness, but the version that's on Nursery Cryme, to be honest, could have been produced better. I think it's a good tune, so if I ever do a third Genesis Revisited, it's probably one of the ones that deserves the restoration treatment - or the restitution treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    How about seeking his views on a Phil Collins classic, for instance Sussudio?
    Pretty sure I saw him dancing to that recently!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Ask him if I can borrow 10 bucks until August!