Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Questions for Rick Wakeman?

Any Questions for Rick Wakeman?

I'm on a bit of a roll lately and have a phone interview with Rick coming up in a couple weeks.

If you have any questions about the new album The Red Planet or ANY part of his career, post them here.

I will upload it to my YoutUbe page and share the interview here once it's ready.

-S

What keyboards does he currently own? What keyboards did he use on the album? Are there any keyboards he no longer owns but wishes he still did?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Laura

Where can I get a copy of the re-recorded King Arthur already?

Was the red planet music originally written for ARW? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sean, this is simple incredible. Next up...I'm waiting for your interview with Peter Gabriel!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm game! This whole run of interviews has been a lot of fun. It's giving me a reason to get out of bed some days too. Let's just say I've got a lot of free time lately and if we can't play music, the next best thing (besides listening to it) is talking about it.

This is great - thanks for this opportunity to weigh in. I have a couple of questions I would love to hear Rick's thoughts on:

Can you talk about what you most admired or appreciated about working/creating music with Steve Howe? What about Bill Bruford? And Alan White?
    (personally I find this a nice approach to learn how they see things outside of all of the baggage and history)

My second question is: Has Rick listened to the Yes release "From A Page" , largely written and put together by Oliver Wakeman?

I would not be surprised if Rick had not listened at all to something like "Fly From Here" or "Heaven and Earth", but I imagine he may have listened to "From A Page" and wonder what he thought of it, from a keyboard perspective and as a piece of the Yes catalogue overall

OK one more - any chance Rick and Trevor Rabin could take the lead in fashioning some new music together, with or without Pomeroy or perhaps Molino, and then bringing in Anderson to sing. It seemed based upon public comments that Anderson was the least able to meet in-person to write. Perhaps the 3 would reconsider working along these lines.

Question: How do you feel about how the members in Yes dealt with Jon Anderson's illness and why Jon could not rejoin back into the group?

Regarding his session work, does he have any particular favorites or humorous stories of the musicians he has worked with. Bowie is really the only work he did that I've heard him speak about at length.

Just out of simple curiosity has he listened to all the Yes LP's he has not been on? Relayer in particular since that was the first one that came out after his first departure. Anything stand out... "I would like to have been involved with that LP or song...?"

Thanks

I'd like to hear Rick's take on the aborted Wakeman-Wetton-Bruford group. Does he remember what other pieces they worked on
    besides "Feels Good To Me" and "Beelzebub"?

Are there any parts of "Roundabout," "South Side of the Sky," "Heart of the Sunrise," "Close to the Edge," "And You and I," or "Siberian Khatru" that you wrote? If so, which parts and how did they come about?

What's your favorite beer, mate?

Tell us a raunchy story from the road.

Whose there biggest asshole you had to perform with, sexual partners excluded?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Can Jon levitate?

How do you look back at your time in the Strawbs and the way you left? Were there tensions in the group that made it easy to leave? Hummingbird was 18 years ago, is there any chance you would work with Dave Cousins again?

Do you regret losing contact with Dave Biro and letting the Birotron project fall through the cracks?

Any recollections of the 1980 "I'm So Straight I'm a Weirdo" video shoot and your interactions with the Blitz Kids who appeared as extras, namely a pre-fame George O'Dowd (Boy George)?

Rick, do you have any questions for Steve Hackett?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

These interviews are very cool!

Few suggestions for the next ones:
    - Fred Frith
    - Damon Waitkus (Jack O' The Clock)

My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Cool! Wakeman is always fun to listen to. I've been strolling down memory lane with the 5 Classic Albums set. I'd like to know if Criminal Record will ever be available again?

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Regarding his session work, does he have any particular favorites or humorous stories of the musicians he has worked with. Bowie is really the only work he did that I've heard him speak about at length.

Just out of simple curiosity has he listened to all the Yes LP's he has not been on? Relayer in particular since that was the first one that came out after his first departure. Anything stand out... "I would like to have been involved with that LP or song...?"

Thanks
    I've heard him say he wished he had been on 90125.. how much of that is because he would have sincerely enjoyed the process or working with Rabin.. vs. how much he would have stood to gain financially because of his involvement is up for debate..

How many capes do you own?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Over the last few years while ARW was "active", there was a segment of the Yes fanbase that often cried out for a "re-Union" of sorts with the current lineup of Yes. This was also often asked in interviews and you always said that it wouldn't happen. Was this sort of "Union 2" thing more of a fan fantasy or was it something any of you guys wanted to see happen?

Thank you again for this opportunity......

Did he like working In The Round?
    How complete was Awaken when he rejoined?
    Would he have liked working with Moraz in Union?
    How did he select which person would be on which tracks in Six Wives?
    Does he foresee working with Trevor or Jon in the near future?
    How did they pick the rhythm section for ARW?
    Can he elaborate on the Keys sessions and possible tour plans that fell through?
    Does he have any opinions on Khoroshev or Brislin’s takes on his performances?
    What is his current opinion on Tales?

How important is music from Norway, really?

Do mountains really come out of the sky, and if they do, do they stand there?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    How many capes do you own?
    Perhaps the most relevant question I’ve seen here and what does he wash them in.

With the success of Journey and King Arthur was it for financial reasons that he moved away from the big orchestrated productions when do No Earthly Connections next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk