Thread: Bands like Pineapple Thief and Riverside as a sub-genre of Prog

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Bands like Pineapple Thief and Riverside as a sub-genre of Prog

As I continue to paw through my full Prog collection, I found and am listening to an album by the band Sylvan. It got me thinking that Sylvan, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and possibly even Porcupine Tree and solo Wislon have something in common. It’s possible that two other bands I like a lot: Anubis and Nine Stones Close. I’d almost put Mystery in there too. There’s another band like Mystery I’m thinking of but I forget the name. I guess I think of these bands as being Post Neo-Prog. Of course, Neo Prog is still with us. Am I crazy?

Speaking of Pineapple Thief, they’re a band that never really clicked for me, but I heard their new song (or is it Bruce Soord soloi?) on Spotify and it sounded pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Speaking of Pineapple Thief, they’re a band that never really clicked for me, but I heard their new song (or is it Bruce Soord soloi?) on Spotify and it sounded pretty good.
    They do have a new one coming out soon.

I found and am listening to an album by the band Sylvan. It got me thinking that Sylvan, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and possibly even Porcupine Tree and solo Wislon have something in common. It’s possible that two other bands I like a lot: Anubis and Nine Stones Close. I’d almost put Mystery in there too. There’s another band like Mystery I’m thinking of but I forget the name. I guess I think of these bands as being Post Neo-Prog. Of course, Neo Prog is still with us.
    First of all, Jed, solo Wislon is completely separate sub genre from the one sub genre that Porcupine Tree already exists in, namely the absolutely inkretipel sub-sub genre. Second, Post Neo-Prog is an old concept now, having morphed into sub-post meta-neo. This is extremely different from the sub-subs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

While not trying to oversimplify, imo Riverside, TPT and a host of others are less associated with neo-prog and more with 90s groups like Radiohead and Tool. Ptree owes a debt to both, but were also one of the few bands in the Prog scene in the 90s that became influential to others.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Oh, come on let's see.

There was already an attempt to formalize another "sub genre" many years back sporting those exact traits - modern (i.e. primarily "non-nostalgic") instrumentation, influences ranging from nú-metal to cybertronica to gothrock blah-blah - and they were to call it New Prog. PTree would be in it, Oceansize, Pineapple Thief, maybe Sanguine Hum and an extensive line of German or Polish porky-offsprings like Riverside, Sieges Even and Metanoia. Someone even took time to conjure up a separate page in Wikipedia for the damn thing, although it was luckily taken down later - presumably for "not meeting the criteria for notability standards".

It's all tired, weary and wornout now anyway. We're back to square one and left with old stuff like Etron Fou Leloublan.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pineapple Thief, Riverside, and possibly even Porcupine Tree and solo Wislon have something in common. It’s possible that two other bands I like a lot: Anubis and Nine Stones Close. I’d almost put Mystery in there too. There’s another band like Mystery I’m thinking of but I forget the name. I guess I think of these bands as being Post Neo-Prog. Of course, Neo Prog is still with us. Am I crazy?
    I don't know you well enough to comment on the crazy part, but I would agree there's a common vibe here. I'm not familiar with Sylvan, Anubis or Nine Stones Close, but I'll be checking them out now. As far as a new sub-genre, sure why not?

I feel that Porcupine Tree was to the 90s/2000 what Marillion were to prog in the 80s.
    Because a lot of those bands sound like they were really influenced by Porcupine Tree, and unfortunately they don't do it (meaning, whatever sub-genre it's called) as well as Porcupine Tree did.

I just call it music that I like.
    Pop music with a limited audience.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I just call it music that I like.
    Pop music with a limited audience.
    Yes, this. I'd also (personally) throw bands like Druckfarben, Panic Room, Lifesigns, Built for the Future and (unfortunately now defunct) Sound of Contact into this "category". I mean, there's stuff out there that is more "proggy" and "art rock" over recent years but these are bands I just want to go back and listen to. They have plenty of songs that just get stuck in my head. You could also put Lonely Robot and The Mute Gods in here as well.

I don't know, I kind of gave up trying to categorize prog (and non-prog). There's stuff that's interesting and impressive that I'll listen to a few times (a lot of "prog") and there's stuff that just grabs me and I'll listen to over and over (prog or not, the above mentioned bands are the latter).

The Tea Club is a newer band that was pretty proggy, but their newest is more straight and probably their best.

My theory is that they all these bands belong to the IAP-movement, a sort of the Illuminati of Prog! The Ironic Avant Proggers meticulously invoke just the right elements of old symphonic and proto prog in their work, with the single purpose to be a nuisance to any avant, RIO and real prog connoisseurs! The 50yo's against the 60+:ers
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I don't really hear any correlation between the music of Lifesigns, who I love, and Pineapple Thief or Riverside, who I don't care for.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't really hear any correlation between the music of Lifesigns, who I love, and Pineapple Thief or Riverside, who I don't care for.
    The point of my OP was that I thought the bands I mentioned sounded somewhat similar to me, and they didn't sound much like the well-known neo-prog bands. I guess it had more to do with Porcupine Tree and Riverside becoming a model for a lot of the bands that came later, although obviously there are lots of bands that don't at all followthat model. And Lifesigns ISN'T one of those bands. Or Lonely Robot. Those are more like Neo Prog.