Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Questions for Billy Sherwood?

Or, if you want a more aggressive question, how did he feel when he realised that "Just Galileo and Me" on the first Citizen gets the history completely wrong? The thrust of the lyrics are about Galileo saying the world isn't flat, but most people had known the world isn't flat for decades before Galileo was born: his contribution was saying that the Earth goes round the Sun rather than vice versa.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Or, if you want a more aggressive question, how did he feel when he realised that "Just Galileo and Me" on the first Citizen gets the history completely wrong? The thrust of the lyrics are about Galileo saying the world isn't flat, but most people had known the world isn't flat for decades before Galileo was born: his contribution was saying that the Earth goes round the Sun rather than vice versa.

Henry
    Yup, that was quite the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Hmmm

1 - Why all the albums which you put the hands sounds the SAME, insipid and pasteurized?
    2 - Why you don't record or mixing in Hi-Res?
    3 - Why you put so many effects in your voice?
    4 - Why you keep using the horrible refurbished TASCAM M-600 console board?
    5 - Why your drums sounds like cellophane paper? Bad room? Bad Mics?
    I would be curious about # 3 myself. I wouldn't beat him up over it, but I am curious why he prefers to present his vocals with so many effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I would be curious about # 3 myself. I wouldn't beat him up over it, but I am curious why he prefers to present his vocals with so many effects.
    He has talked about this. He's said he doesn't feel he has a particularly strong singing voice any more.

Henry

I seem to remember him saying he really blew his voice out when he was younger and it was never quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I seem to remember him saying he really blew his voice out when he was younger and it was never quite the same.
    Well alright then. I did not know that. Thanks.

Henry
    It is a mistake I've read or heard many times.
    (It somehow makes me think of the Iron Maiden song "Quest for Fire", whose lyrics deal with men searching for fire in prehistoric times. The lyrics begin with "In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth".)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    (It somehow makes me think of the Iron Maiden song "Quest for Fire", whose lyrics deal with men searching for fire in prehistoric times. The lyrics begin with "In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth".)
    Iron Maiden at least have the excuse that they didn't have Wikipedia in those days.

Henry

Another question! In the promo for Days Between Stations' forthcoming third album, Giants (produced, co-written and co-performed by Billy), guitarist Sepand Samzadeh says, "I love how Billy captured us. Some of our final takes Billy captured, were us rehearsing parts while the tracks were armed or at most when playing a first or second take." Sherwood has talked himself, on other projects, about preferring to uses first or second takes rather than having an act do a large number of takes. That's different to some other producers. Why does he prefer this approach?

Henry

Thanks for the questions! I will try and get to as many as possible.

BTW Next week, next Saturday, we have a special episode called "NEARFest Memories". Rob and Chad will be my guests and we will relive some great moments from the festival(s). We have a musical guest or two dropping by that might look familiar too, just to chat.

One more question.

Is YOSO really a state of mind, or is it something much deeper?

Henry
    Not just decades. It had been generally known (at least among the educated) since classical Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    One more question.

Is YOSO really a state of mind, or is it something much deeper?
    Yoso crazy, Rick!

If it's not too late, I'd be really curious to know how many Squire / Sherwood songs had already been recorded in 1989/1990. The More We Live, Say Goodbye, Love Conquers All... and?
    Also were they the versions eventually included on the Conspiracy album or was it re-recorded?

Another question regarding this time frame. Chris Squire mentions in an interview from 1994 that Andrew Jackman had done orchestration for some songs intended for Chris's solo album. Of course this ended up becoming Conspiracy but whatever happened to the orchestral arrangements?

If there's space for one more... Did they record any of the 1992 Chris Squire Experiment shows? If so would he consider releasing it?

Tried to get to most all the questions. Thanks for all that dropped by! We covered a lot of bases in addition to the PE questions submitted. We basically started when Billy met Chris Squire, which alone is a cool story, and go through the 90s, album by album. I think we uncovered a few nuggets about each that might not have been mentioned before. We discussed Yes since he's been in the bass role too including the possibilities of a new Yes album and what it would be like. And much more....

Next week- NEARFest memories with Rob and Chad w/special guests Brett Kull and Larry Fast.
    Last edited by Sean; 07-06-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Tried to get to most all the questions.

Next week- NEARFest memories with Rob and Chad w/special guests!
    Great stuff.

Henry

Thanks, Henry! Really enjoyed that one. Hope we uncovered a few new nuggets about the 90s catalog and the future of Yes.

Thanks, Henry! Really enjoyed that one. Hope we uncovered a few new nuggets about the 90s catalog and the future of Yes.
    Definitely.

I'm sorry two of my questions produced a "what?" reaction! He definitely did talk about the Fayman/Fripp project on Facebook way back.

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 07-05-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Very enjoyable interview, thanks Sean.

I watched this live last night - really enjoyed this one. Good questions and chronological order by you, Sean. And thanks for asking about my question on the HOF induction. lol Billy's reaction was priceless and we gleaned a little more background there (I didn't expect him to dish on how it all went down, but his interaction with Geddy was great!)

Thanks, Sean et al, and thanks to Billy for his time. I wasn't expecting it to be that long or comprehensive. Excellent.

I wasn't expecting you to ask my joke question either, but he took it in his stride! Glad you asked about the Rundgren project. I'll pass the link on to the fan forum at trconnection.com if that's okay with you.

Thanks for that! That was a thoroughly interesting listen and watch! Glad I was in time for my questions to get picked. In case anyone is wondering which interview that was where Chris Squire references the possibility of working with Andrew Jackman it's here at the 6:22 mark:

"I actually did go to England last year and worked on some arrangements of some tunes that I'd written with Andrew Jackman who did all the arranging on Fish Out Of Water. And that was after the Chris Squire Experiment so that's another source I have to draw from. And I'm putting together another thing at the moment with a couple of other musicians who may also be involved in the project."

Watching it in retrospect it seems as if Chris may actually be referring to an entirely seperate project.

I'm glad you all are enjoying it! It was a great way to spend the 4th. Special thanks for Yamishogun for indexing and time stamping every question in the comments section! That's so helpful. Feel free to share it with your friends and please subscribe to my YT page while you are there if you have yet to.

Thanks! really enjoyed watching this. Sounds like Sherwood is a very down-to-earth guy and is very content with his lot in life (he should be!). BTW Glad you asked my Shatner question! Answer was far more interesting than I had expected.

Feel free to share it with your friends.
    It's up on the Todd Rundgren forum now, although most of its members have decamped to Facebook so it won't get the traction it'll get on the Yes boards.

I'm a big fan of EW&F so I loved Billy's description of them being the Yes of R&B. Reminded me that before they got super-cosmic and globally famous they were on the bill of California Jam in 1974 (see youtube) alongside Sabbath, Purple and ELP. This was just before their global fame and live pyrotechnics, but they were already compelling live even to a rock audience.