Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newer bands like classic Genesis

Newer bands like classic Genesis

I can hear a classic Genesis influence in bands like Big Big Train and Tiger Moth Tales. Keyboard heavy melodies and the occasional pastoral or acoustic segment. Are there other current bands that work in that same style?

The best album IMO that I like that sounds like old Genesis is not new, but it's a stand out. In 2008 Nad Sylvan and fellow Swedish musician Bonamici created the album Unifaun. The liner notes state that their goal was to "write the songs Genesis never did" or more precisely to produce music in the style of Genesis circa 1972 to 1980. Pure speculation, but I assume it was this album that Steve Hackett heard when putting together his Genesis Revisited band, and asked Nad to join. When you hear it, you will see why. https://www.nadsylvan.com/unifaun

Also British Neo-proggers IQ to me have always sounded a lot like prog-Genesis. Very similar in style, symphonic, with lots of mellotron and epic songs. Their brand new live album, A Show Of Resistance, is a clear example. It also includes a fantastic 22 minute complete version of the epic The Last Human Gateway, from their 1983 debut album Tales From The Lush Attic. The band and this live album is great!

Again not new, but worthy of a listen are the first two albums from original Genesis guitarist Anthony Phillips, 1977's The Geese And The Ghost and 1978's Wise After The Event. Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins guest on the first, and King Crimson alumni Mel Collins and Michael Giles on the latter.

With these examples you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 4 Days Ago at 09:19 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Watch. Excellent Italian band.
    Citizen Caine - completely Genesis influenced.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Unifaun
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Watch. Excellent Italian band.
    Citizen Caine - completely Genesis influenced.
    I second all of these, especially The Watch. Check out their albums Ghost or Vacuum in particular. They are like lost albums from the Foxtrot era.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I second all of these, especially The Watch. Check out their albums Ghost or Vacuum in particular. They are like lost albums from the Foxtrot era.
    Yes The Watch, when doing their own material is very good. On their first album, Twilight (1997) they were calling themselves The Night Watch. This is my favorite from them. Citizen Cain's final album, Skies Darken (2012) IMO is highly underrated, and their most mature work.

Speaking of Citizen Cain, ex-drummer, keyboardist Stewart Bell released two excellent albums in that same old Genesis style. The Anti-Chamber Of Being (Part 1) 2014, and (Part 2) 2017. Of course these are concept albums and include many guest artists, among them The Watch vocalist Simone Rossetti on both.

I keep editing because I think of more artists. Thread poster asked for newer artists. These are fairly recent. Three albums by The Rome Pro(g)ject led by Italian keyboardist and composer Vincenzo Ricca. The Rome Pro(g)ject 2012, Of Fate And Glory 2016, and Exegi Monumentum Aere Perennius 2017. The old Genesis style and stellar guest musicians including Steve Hackett, David Cross, David Jackson, John Hackett, Billy Sherwood and more!
    Last edited by AncientChord; 4 Days Ago at 12:30 AM.

One of my favs:

Neuschwanstein Battlement (although not a newer band)
    Last edited by Jmac; 4 Days Ago at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added

The first Album of Belarusian band "the Worm Orobourus' called 'Of things that never were' sometimes gives me a bit of an early Genesis vibe
    Listen to this song for example:

I think their second album 'Endless way from you' is even better but has a bit more Canterbury influences. Early Camel is a good reference for that.
    A really fine and rather overlooked retro-prog band.

Furthermore I was recently listening to the first album of 'La Maschera di Cera' which sounds, at least to my ears' very Genesis-like.

I'd like to find a modern prog band that doesn't sound like Genesis!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'd like to find a modern prog band that doesn't sound like Genesis!
    Love it!

I think Magenta has some substantial Genesis influence.
    In any case, I highly recommend them to the OP.

Nad Sylvan's more recent solo albums are quite Genesis like. Nad's vocals sound so much like Peter Gabriel, he sings most songs on Steve Hackett's Genesis revisited albums and videos.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I agree with the previous posts relative to the Watch and also Unifaun. Also, I offer the following (in addition to those noted above) that sound like or are greatly influenced by Genesis:

Submarine Silennce - One of my favorite RPI bands that have definite Genesis leanings but also carve their own great symphonic prog sound. Even a Paul Whitehead cover on their debut, self titled album. Their latest, "Journey Through Mine" is outstanding.

Grand Stand - Swedish band that put out two albums, "In The Middle, On The Edge" from 1998 and "Tricks Of Time" from 2002. Their last one is very solid with great keyboards courtesy of Olov Andersson

Babylon - Self titled one-off album that was heavily influenced by Genesis but on the heavier side. Only 4 cuts and less than 35 minutes worth of music, leaves one wanting more to see where they would take their sound.

The best album IMO that I like that sounds like old Genesis is not new, but it's a stand out. In 2008 Nad Sylvan and fellow Swedish musician Bonamici created the album Unifaun. The liner notes state that their goal was to "write the songs Genesis never did" or more precisely to produce music in the style of Genesis circa 1972 to 1980. Pure speculation, but I assume it was this album that Steve Hackett heard when putting together his Genesis Revisited band, and asked Nad to join. When you hear it, you will see why. https://www.nadsylvan.com/unifaun

Also British Neo-proggers IQ to me have always sounded a lot like prog-Genesis. Very similar in style, symphonic, with lots of mellotron and epic songs. Their brand new live album, A Show Of Resistance, is a clear example. It also includes a fantastic 22 minute complete version of the epic The Last Human Gateway, from their 1983 debut album Tales From The Lush Attic. The band and this live album is great!

Again not new, but worthy of a listen are the first two albums from original Genesis guitarist Anthony Phillips, 1977's The Geese And The Ghost and 1978's Wise After The Event. Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins guest on the first, and King Crimson alumni Mel Collins and Michael Giles on the latter.

With these examples you can't go wrong.
    Thanks for bringing up Unifaun; it was the push I needed to get it.

I've tried to like The Watch, even saw them live. They do a good job emulating the sound world of Genesis, but the chord sequences they use on their own compositions often sound jerky and forced to me. It goes to show what a genius Tony Banks is, where he uses very interesting chord sequences, but they always flow beautifully. Unifaun comes the closest, in my opinion, in sounding like an album Genesis could have made.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

If you're not into neo-prog like me, you might dig Once and Future Band. They sound like mid-70's Genesis mixed with Steely Dan and XTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    One of my favs:

Neuschwanstein Battlement (although not a newer band)
    Thanks for this tip I like this. I am also a big Unifaun fan, I believe there are more than one album from them.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Thanks for this tip I like this. I am also a big Unifaun fan, I believe there are more than one album from them.
    No only one release. The year after Unifaun, Nad Sylvan joined Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings to form The Agents Of Mercy. They released three albums between 2009 and 2011. In 2013 Nad then went on to join Steve Hackett for Genesis Revisited.

Plackband
    November

Not really new, but still much Genesis influences.

Bill Bressler's Normal Boy will scratch that itch...

https://billbressler.bandcamp.com/album/normal-boy-2

Speaking of Citizen Cain, this is my favorite track:

And you canít beat Nightwinds from the Laserís Edge label:

I know these arenít brand new artists, but perhaps youíll enjoy anyway

No only one release. The year after Unifaun, Nad Sylvan joined Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings to form The Agents Of Mercy. They released three albums between 2009 and 2011. In 2013 Nad then went on to join Steve Hackett for Genesis Revisited.
    Yup...Steve keeps Nad busy. Which is good for all of us. (I think Nad is the secret sauce for Steve's Genesis Revisited tours.)

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    Bill Bressler's Normal Boy will scratch that itch...

https://billbressler.bandcamp.com/album/normal-boy-2
    And one of the few really newer bands/artists mentioned.

Although already mentioned, Tiger Moth Tales is exceptional in this regard. Beautifully written and performed original material that often reminds me what the followup album to Lamb might have sounded like had Gabriel not left the group.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Citizen Cain do have a lot of "Things that never happend" going on with Marillion.

Citizen Cain where Born out of the Ashes of "Quite not Red Fox" whose Drummer Gordon Feenie was a School mate of Fish,
    Feenie invited Fish to become the singer of the band as their vocalist George Scott wanted to concentrate on bass.

But Fish failed the Audition for not being experienced enough.

On the other hand the pre Fish Marillion wanted George "Cyrus" Scott to be their singer but where to drunk to get his Phone No.when they
    had met.

Fish invited Gordon Feenie to become the Drummer of Marillion (after Ward, Mover etc.). Gordon blew the Audition, according to Fish by intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Yup...Steve keeps Nad busy. Which is good for all of us. (I think Nad is the secret sauce for Steve's Genesis Revisited tours.)
    Totally agree. Nad is a chameleon vocally, and sounds at home singing the Gabriel tracks as well as the Collins tracks. A good example is the never recorded session track from the Selling England album, Deja Vu. The song was fully realized in 1996 and released with Paul Carrack on vocals. Listening back on it again, the song seems lack-luster and forgetful. However since 2019 Hackett has included it on his Genesis Revisited shows, and brought it back to life. Listen to several versions of it on You Tube. Close your eyes, and you think it's Peter Gabriel singing. The song is powerful and beautiful, and truly is a lost Genesis classic. I hope Hackett eventually adds it to a official live release in the future. I'm also waiting for Seven Stones. I'm confident that Nad would excel on that one too.