Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newer bands like classic Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I tend to agree Scrotum Scissor. However, not with what you call copycats. YES was influenced by the Beatles, jazz and pop. ELP was influenced by classical, jazz, folk and King Crimson (at least by Greg Lake). King Crimson by jazz, rock, folk, avant-garde, The Moody Blues. VDGG by classical, folk, rock, gothic (Hugh Banton). GGiant, classical, medieval, rock. Tull by rock, blues, folk, classical, medieval, Celtic. All were influenced by psychedelic. And it was Genesis that was highly influenced by King Crimson as quoted by them in one of Armando Gallo's books. That is what created the huge change in direction from their first album to Trespass.
    I'm not disputing any of this. But truth be told, there's a most profound difference between being influenced or encouraged by something - as in the examples you're mentioning - and stuffing a potato halfway down the throat of one's flowerpothat- and makeup-donning vocalist to "redo the Gabi-Genesis" sporting similar synth-patterns, similar this and similar that so as to actually recall the experience of the core act itself. Unfortunately, this is exactly what a bit too many allegedly "progressive" groups appear to be doing. And it is hardly artistically rewarding within the framework of a genre-objective whose standing rested on an attemptive level of creativity.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A lot of that formerly-acclaimed 90s prog revival stuff has aged badly.
    Correct.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm not disputing any of this. But truth be told, there's a most profound difference between being influenced or encouraged by something - as in the examples you're mentioning - and stuffing a potato halfway down the throat of one's flowerpothat- and makeup-donning vocalist to "redo the Gabi-Genesis" sporting similar synth-patterns, similar this and similar that so as to actually recall the experience of the core act itself. Unfortunately, this is exactly what a bit too many allegedly "progressive" groups appear to be doing. And it is hardly artistically rewarding within the framework of a genre-objective whose standing rested on an attemptive level of creativity.
    Once again I agree. And it all comes down to the question, what is actually progressive rock? Is it based on artists with a similar sound? Or is it by artists that truly excelled at reaching a musical place that went beyond music's established boundaries? If the answer is the latter, then few artists have ever reached that goal, and even if they did, did they ever progress beyond that one achievement.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^

The founding bands of what is now called Prog (or at least the "Mainstream" Prog) managed to come with an original own Sound.
    They might be inspired by someone or something else but you could easily tell them apart.

Many modern bands sadly try to Sound exactly like another band (or bands) just with poorer songwriting.

Even the original early 80s bands had something new and edgy to them. Nowadays Neo Prog Albums are only usefull if
    you have trouble falling asleep.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

The founding bands of what is now called Prog (or at least the "Mainstream" Prog) managed to come with an original own Sound.
    They might be inspired by someone or something else but you could easily tell them apart.

Many modern bands sadly try to Sound exactly like another band (or bands) just with poorer songwriting.

Even the original early 80s bands had something new and edgy to them. Nowadays Neo Prog Albums are only usefull if
    you have trouble falling asleep.
    I respect your opinion. I also realize that I am in the vast minority on this site when I disagree wholeheartedly with that last, broad brush condemnation of "Neo Prog" albums. To dismiss them all (whoever "them" may be) as only useful to fall asleep to is a totally unreasonable assessment.

To me, at least, there's a big difference between groups like Citizen Cain, the Watch, or Unifaun who are obviously trying to mimic the sounds of classic Genesis as much as possible and groups like Big Big Train, Tiger Moth Tales, or Kaprekar's Constant who occupy a similar "British symphonic-pastoral prog" niche of which Genesis is perhaps the classic example. I tend to really enjoy the latter; the former usually much less so.

Try do be more cloned

I actually loved this album.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I respect your opinion. I also realize that I am in the vast minority on this site when I disagree wholeheartedly with that last, broad brush condemnation of "Neo Prog" albums. To dismiss them all (whoever "them" may be) as only useful to fall asleep to is a totally unreasonable assessment.
    I'm sorry that was mainly my dissapointment about modern Neo Prog, a genre which I once loved and was substancial into bringing me into Prog.
    To put all Neo bands into one box was wrong, there might be some good ones, I just don't know any.

To put all Neo bands into one box was wrong, there might be some good ones, I just don't know any.
    There are some solid bands obviously abbreviated from "neo", though - like Discipline, Versus X, Thieves' Kitchen and a whole bunch of Italians and Eastern Europeans.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There are some solid bands obviously abbreviated from "neo", though - like Discipline, Versus X, Thieves' Kitchen and a whole bunch of Italians and Eastern Europeans.
    Love all those bands, I just didn't consider them as Neo Prog at all. But you are right abbreviated from Neo is not that wrong at all.
    So I finally like some modern Neo bands

Banned
    ^^^
    These posts take a more individualized look at Neo Prog, or "abbreviated" forms of it, and this makes it more clear as to what the thinking is behind "clones only" versus bands that are trying to do something to advance creativity in their sound apart from just mimicking what came before. I understand the case being made here and the examples of Discipline, Thieves Kitchen and such are clearly demonstrative of the points being driven home in the distinction between the two. I find something to like in both "camps" if you will; for some reasons that are individual to my tastes I don't object to the clones aspects for many of the artists if their sound resonates with me (Watch, Submarine Silence, Silhouette, Moth Vellum).

^^

I actually own some Albums by The Watch and the Moth Vellum one and do like them. I like Submarine Silence musically but they should look out
    for a halfway decent vocalist.

Two bands that do not get enough press on this site are Trettioåriga Kriget and Barock Project.

Just listened to The Watch's Vacuum album and it definitely had the Genesis vibe I like.

So did this epic from Kaprekar's Constrant

Barock Project I've heard before and like very much. Genesis wouldn't be the first influence that comes to mind, maybe some of the early Italian bands influenced by Genesis.

^^

I actually own some Albums by The Watch and the Moth Vellum one and do like them.
    Moth Vellum are more Yes than Genesis. Like, really Yes! I mean, there’s some Beach Boy harmonies in there and some ambient synth stuff, but they have clearly been listening to lots of Yes, particularly with that Howe-like guitar. BTW, I really, really like the Moth Vellum album, because it hits the right balance of recognizable influences that make the nostalgia alarm go “ding ding ding,” mated to original outside influences that keep it fresh. As opposed to someone like Citizen Cain, who are completely monomaniacal in their aping a single influence, and they don’t even manage to do that very well.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Barock Project I've heard before and like very much. Genesis wouldn't be the first influence that comes to mind, maybe some of the early Italian bands influenced by Genesis.
    Yea, my point was that these are bands that don't fit the NEO label but still produce awesome epics like Genesis did.

The Unifaun album is really good. It's one of my favorites actually, even over a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoraz View Post
    Just downloaded Unifaun. I had never heard it before. The guys voice is spooky in its resemblance to Phil Collins' voice sometimes. For the rest it is very pleasant and yes, the Genesis influence/tribute is obvious, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. The synth sounds verge on cheese sometimes. Either because of the way they're recorded or out of choice I don't hear a Pro-soloist. But I suppose that's nitpicking... Mr. Sylvan is one talented musician...

Ed
    Wow, I don't think the synth sounds are cheesy at all actually. But I guess it's all up to the ear of the listener really.

What about Cast, especially their earlier releases?
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

YLECLIPSE ... quite obscure and seems forgotten would be a good example, certainly worth checking.
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=441

The clip below perhaps more "Fishy Marillion" but still pretty good:
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    YLECLIPSE ... quite obscure and seems forgotten would be a good example, certainly worth checking.

Nice. Definitely more Fishy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post

I must explore this band further, based on this clip and also the reviews in PA. One reviewer described their 2012 album, "Songs From The Crackling Atanor" as follows:

Proving adept at adapting the Genesis style, Yleclipse to my ears seem to tackle a "what if" - what if, after the medievalism of Trespass and the Victorian whimsy of Nursery Cryme, Genesis had gone back and made some sort of fusion of the two, leaning on Victorian-era romanticism of the medieval period in order to attain an atmosphere with one foot in nostalgia and one foot in fantasy? They'd sound like this, they would.

Fascinating, wouldn't you say!?

If you want those 70s sound, and the symphonic mixed with the pastoral, but DON'T want a neo-prog Genesis clone, I would highly recommend Wobbler.

Banned
    ^^^
    Definitely; all three Wobbler albums that I have are outstanding. The only one that I don't have is "Afterglow", which is shorter than the others and gets the least favorite reviews. But, I may order it sometime down the line.

I'd say don't sleep on Afterglow. It may be shorter, but it's still quite good. I think it's better than Hinterland, personally.