Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Present

Present

Since I'm sitting idle waiting for my flight to Praha in Bussels, I threw on some Present. Strychnine for Xmas is a fantastic piece. Herr Kerman's lyrics during the second half are telling.

He could cook on a spit
    All the mulch from around him
    But could not find palatable
    A foreigner's tongue.

Amazing stuff.

Sent from my SM-M307FN using Tapatalk

I have the first two cd cuneiform remasters. I have been thinking I need to revisit them, so this is a sign

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They're all excellent, the dvd with Barbaro is outstanding.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Triskaidekaphobie, Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, High Infidelity and Barbaro for me. I'm more ambivalent towards the others, I suppose. On the other hand, Fou remains one of my top-25 releases of all time.

Although it obviously isn't "my" release at all...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have Barbaro too. I should have Certitudes because of that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wave some big NOK around and it could be yours, big boy!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I need to get more Present. I have the first album, and the first Live album. I really enjoyed their NEARfest performance (though not nearly as much as Roger Trigaux asking me "Where is pissing room?" back at the hotel that night).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Wave some big NOK around and it could be yours, big boy!!
    ^ Here's the thing, and not to digress; my (biological) sister and I just lost a preliminary lawsuit on behalf of our insane father against our (wait…) ex-stepsister - for having lured that old bastard (while he was still married to her recently deceased mom, who left him over ownership issues) into giving her a grand mountain house worth approx. $ 1 million.

These were assets supposed to be inherited by my sister and myself and to be handed on in turn to our kids, but no - that ex-stepsister of ours, whose biggest claim to civil decency was to work part-time at a local gym for two years (she never bothered to finish school, expecting for my dad to provide for her anyway) sacked the whole thing.

If she hadn't, though, I'd bought Trigaux & co. on a whim and promptly ordered them to write a dark-avant rendition of some musical like Annie or West Side Story.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Here's the thing, and not to digress ....
    [insert Norway's biggest digression here!]

I'd bought Trigaux & co. on a whim and promptly ordered them to write a dark-avant rendition of some musical like Annie or West Side Story.
    It's called "Sweeney Todd"
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I just watched the RIO festival show on the Barbaro dvd. Two things I find ridiculous: Roger pretending he's conducting in the last song "Promenade.."
    And the fact that there are still absolutely incompetent camera men shooting live bands

.... On the other hand, Fou remains one of my top-25 releases of all time.

I'd berry much like to see that Top 25 list someday.....preferably in English or American.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They're all excellent, the dvd with Barbaro is outstanding.
    Agreed. I don't have that many DVDs (and at this point I don't really watch any of them anymore) but it is definitely my favorite I own. The expanded first two that were (somewhat) recently released are especially beautiful.

I hope the COVID outbreak won't delay their new work too much (or just soured Trigaux to the point of collapsing the project all together).
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    And the fact that there are still absolutely incompetent camera men shooting live bands
    Please describe said "incompetence". Are they not framing the shots correctly, or shooting the musicians feet or what?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Please describe said "incompetence". Are they not framing the shots correctly, or shooting the musicians feet or what?
    All of the above.
    It's also like they have no idea if someone is soloing.
    And extreme closeup seeing a guitarists face instead of them playing the instrument.
    Watch it and you will understand.

I love the dvd, it was recorded by an amateur in the audience.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I love the dvd, it was recorded by an amateur in the audience.
    I'm talking the multiple camera RIO fest show

All of the above.
    It's also like they have no idea if someone is soloing.
    And extreme closeup seeing a guitarists face instead of them playing the instrument.
    Watch it and you will understand.
    I remember when Asaf (a good friend) was editing it, he was having a really hard time getting something decent from the raw footage, it was as if the cameramen were doing it on purpose...
    Some of the footage was so useless that he had to supplement it with some atmospheric shots he took himself outside.
    The worst thing about it is that they were not amateurs but paid professionals...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I remember when Asaf (a good friend) was editing it, he was having a really hard time getting something decent from the raw footage, it was as if the cameramen were doing it on purpose...
    Some of the footage was so useless that he had to supplement it with some atmospheric shots he took himself outside.
    The worst thing about it is that they were not amateurs but paid professionals...
    You would have got better shots by just having cameras on stands.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    he was having a really hard time getting something decent from the raw footage, it was as if the cameramen were doing it on purpose...
    Some of the footage was so useless that he had to supplement it with some atmospheric shots he took himself outside. The worst thing about it is that they were not amateurs but paid professionals.
    That really stinks. But were they seasoned at filming musical ensembles and/or rock groups? Or was this perhaps a bit of the problem - that Present were somehow too "fringe" in sound for them to act on the usual impressions and impulses inherent?

I have Barbaro too. I should have Certitudes because of that lineup.
    I think I have Certitudes somewhere and some promotional pictures.

That really stinks. But were they seasoned at filming musical ensembles and/or rock groups? Or was this perhaps a bit of the problem - that Present were somehow too "fringe" in sound for them to act on the usual impressions and impulses inherent?
    You would have to be a complete idiot to not know what was a good shot or who to focus on.
    Present aren't that hard to understand musically.

^In other words, either a complete idiot or a professional saboteur.

What shit.

I mean, even the Henry Cow film from Vevey suffered from having been recorded by someone who essentially didn't "get" it apart from it being "strange".

Sorry, I know the quality is shitty but I love it, it captures the band, my most played dvd, I only wish Daniel Denis was less of a perfectionist.
    Ian

^ But wasn't this all concerning the "official" RIO filming and not the amateur-one which ended on the DVD? I*m aquainted with the latter but not with the former.

My understanding was Czar was complaining about the RIO one included in Barbaro, I thought that was an amateur shoot, but I could be wrong.
    Ian