Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Present

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I remember when Asaf (a good friend) was editing it, he was having a really hard time getting something decent from the raw footage, it was as if the cameramen were doing it on purpose...
    Some of the footage was so useless that he had to supplement it with some atmospheric shots he took himself outside.
    The worst thing about it is that they were not amateurs but paid professionals...
    well the beggining of the show started in pitch black ...
    remind me to tell you some amazing story about those shots the Assaf did
    I hope the sound doesn't appear to be done by someone incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My understanding was Czar was complaining about the RIO one included in Barbaro, I thought that was an amateur shoot, but I could be wrong.
    That's the show. Amateur or not, you should still have some common sense when filming a band.

The RIO show was filmed by supposedly "professional" cameramen, the Wurzburg bit at the end was filmed unprofessionally (I think one was a static camera and another one or 2 angles from the audience, one of them by Asaf, but I might be wrong, need to revisit).
    Too bad the camera we used had a faulty battery that would last only 15-20 minutes (not enough for Magma AND Present on the same day)
    I think the audio on the Wurzburg was recorded by me but again need to re-check.
    All in all I personally love the RIO end result, it sounds great and looks fine to me, I remember the show itself was not as good, Udi did sprinkle some fairy dust on it

PS - Asaf also edited the VDGG RFH reunion show unofficial DVD, check it out on youtube- it was all filmed very unprofessionally and under very hard circumstances, whenever someone was caught filming the ushers would make him erase it!
    But still the end result is a prime example how sometimes unprofessional fans with very bad conditions and equipment can create a convincing live footage.

So, I finally got around to getting the 2014 version of Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, which I've been enjoying this afternoon. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the computer to play (and rip) the main disc, as my preferred player Winamp would only recognize the existence of the video files. But Windows Media Player handled it just fine, so no issue. Listening to the live disc now.

BTW, reading the liner notes, I was a bit surprised to see a friend of mine, Bill Baltitas, being as being part of the chain of events that led to the album being released originally. Back in the pre-internet days, I met Bill, I think, actually, at a Daevid Allen show. Turned out I actually went to high school with his son Mike (Mike being the guy who told me I "should check out Hawkwind and VDGG), but anyway, I regularly bumped into Bill at Wax Stax, my favorite record store (which has been gone for 25 years now!). Bill actually sold me his LP copies of the first two Faust albums, and he also passed a few different live tapes of various bands my way, notably the Magma 1974 BBC session (several years before it was issued officially), a Henry Cow show from 77, and the Tangerine Dream Cleveland 77 show. And once in awhile I'd bump into Bill at shows, most recently when Fred Frith was here 6 years ago.

^^^^^^

Bill was always thanked on ALL editions of ‘Le Poison’......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^

Bill was always thanked on ALL editions of ‘Le Poison’......
    Which I would have known if this weren't the first version of the album. I've owned. But now that I think about it, I think Bill did tell me once about that, but I don't remember him explaining the circumstances. Anyway, to me, it's a fascinating story to read.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It took me a minute to figure out how to get the computer to play (and rip) the main disc, as my preferred player Winamp would only recognize the existence of the video files. But Windows Media Player handled it just fine, so no issue.
    Think of getting Foobar2000. One of the best media players for audiophiles and completely customizable. And it's free.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Triskaidekaphobie, Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, High Infidelity and Barbaro for me. I'm more ambivalent towards the others, I suppose.
    my top 4

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Sorry, I know the quality is shitty but I love it, it captures the band, my most played dvd, I only wish Daniel Denis was less of a perfectionist.
    Steve will maybe be able to answer better than me, but DD has a few filmed shows to choose from, including their first return-to-live concert in 2005 in Les Halles de Shaerbeek (very spectacular show, with the rear-screen films too).
    Sound-wise and picture wise, unless recorded by amateurs, those shows would be perfect as a DVD, though I'm sure DD could pick out many flaws that would make him cringe on everyone of them.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I remember when Asaf (a good friend) was editing it, he was having a really hard time getting something decent from the raw footage, it was as if the cameramen were doing it on purpose...
    Some of the footage was so useless that he had to supplement it with some atmospheric shots he took himself outside.
    The worst thing about it is that they were not amateurs but paid professionals...
    My experience (however minute) is that recording/filming predictable music is not hard, but if not predictable, and the professional don't know or understand what's going on ahead of time, he'll miss a lot of it. This is is especially true for prog, IMHO.

When my buddies played their gigs, it (balance and lights) was often not good (especially or them on stage), but once they appointed me (a non-prof, but knowing their music by heart) helping the sound man (flute solo coming, just after mandolin solo, Mr Sound) and lightman (yellow spot on the guitarist, the rest of the stage in red, Mr Light) behind the desk, it became a whole lot more enjoyable to everyone (crowd & musos).

Soooo, outside for not being familiar with the show they're about to tape (and depending on the number of cameras available) , can the soundman or cameraman in a festival be blamed for missing out on stuff?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.