Thread: DVD Includes CD(s), Blu-Ray Doesn’t?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

DVD Includes CD(s), Blu-Ray Doesn’t?

Wot’s, uh...the de. Fal with releases such as the new, live Flying Colors where the DVD and the Blu-Ray are the same price but the DVD includes CDs of the audio and the Blu-Ray doesn’t? They could certainly have a version of the BD packaging that accommodates the CDs. I think of this as a bonus that comes with the DVD but is excluded from the BD. Sure, I’d like to have the better picture quality of the BD, but I’d also like to have the CDs. For me the result is often that I decide not to buy either version because both have drawbacks. What gives? It’s not like I’d buy both versions. Any insights from our vendor friends?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've seen that with some releases. At least one of the Wilsons that I have.
    It's easier to rip DVD audio than BluRay audio, at least with my limited know-how on doing that sort of thing.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Plenty of free programs that can rip DVD audio into wave files or flac or whatever. Bluray I'm not so sure. It's been a while.

Blu-ray discs are more expensive than DVDs, so if they are the same price, I would surmise that the CDs are added to the DVD package to offset the price difference with the Blu-ray. Then they can get the same price for either.

There is also software which can rip Blu-Ray discs. I would point to moecurlythanu's explanation as most feasible. I would add it's easier to pack 2 discs into a larger DVD case than a smaller, thinner Blu-Ray case.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama