Thread: Featured album: Keith Tippett - Dedicated to You, But You Weren't Listening

Featured album: Keith Tippett - Dedicated to You, But You Weren't Listening

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...5910122009.jpg

RIP, Keith

Keith Tippett - Dedicated to You, But You Weren't Listening

ktg.jpg

Tracks Listing:

1. This Is What Happens (5:45)
    2. Thoughts To Geoff (10:19)
    3. Green And Orange Night (8:12)
    4. Gridal Suite (6:13)
    5. Five After Dawn (5:24)
    6. Dedicated To You, But You Weren't Listening (0:36)
    7. Black Horse (5:53)

Musicians
    - Keith Tippet / piano, Hohner electric piano
    - Nick Evans / trombone
    - Mark Charig / cornet
    - Elton Dean / alto sax, saxello
    With:
    - Gary Boyle / guitar
    - Neville Whitehead / bass
    - Roy Babbington / bass, bass guitar
    - Bryan Spring / drums
    - Phil Howard / drums
    - Robert Wyatt / drums
    - Tony Uter / congas, cowbell

Here is Stefan Turner (AKA SteFro) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    Up there with 'Elastic Rock' by Nucleus and Soft Machine's 'Third', The Keith Tippett Group's excellent 'Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening' occupies the upper echelons of British jazz-fusion and is rightfully hailed as a classic album by fans and critics alike. No doubt one of many who was inspired by the superlative experimental sounds of American innovators Miles Davis, Tony Williams, Herbie Hanock et al, The Keith Tippett Group produced just two studio albums proper but, in the process, proved to be a breeding ground for many of the top young jazz talents of the time. As well as Tippett, 'Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening' featured a quartet of soon-to-be Soft Machine-bound members in Robert Wyatt(drums), Marc Charig(cornet), Roy Babbington(bass) and Elton Dean(sax), as well as Nick Evans(trumbone), Jeff Clyne(bass), and Australian drummer Phil Howard who would eventually replace Wyatt in Soft Machine several years down the line. Considering the line-up on show, it's no surprise that this sophomore effort from the group has proved to be so popular.

Unlike The Keith Tippett Group's debut, this follow-up is a much more radical affair which embraces the fusion furiosity of 'Bitches Brew'-style Miles Davis and the more progressive rock sounds that were eminating from both Britain and America. This is very much jazz-rock, but not quite fusion, as there is, on this album at least, a clear distinction between the two genre's despite the fact they are mixed so seemlessly. After 'Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening' The Keith Tippett Group would head their separate ways, with Soft Machine the major benefactors and Tippett throwing himself headlong into the mammoth musical experiment of 'Centipede', another jazz-orientated group with King Crimson's Robert Fripp that would feature over 50 members. As is shown on the two Keith Tippett Group studio albums and the group-leader's later works, the dividing line between jazz and rock and experimentation and innovation can and will always be blurred, combining the rich beauty of the former and the raw energy of the latter into a truely unique and inspiring collage of sounds. Tippett was a true jazz pioneer and this album is a testament to his unnerving talent and his dedication to producing new and interesting sounds outside of the normal 'rock' spectrum.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Maybe his best !

One of my favorite KT albums as well. A real drum orgy going on that one.

Rest well, Mujician. You were one of a kind for certain.

With an early cover by Roger (and Martyn) Dean!

Another great album from K.T. (RIP)
    Good call Trane!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Top notch. I wouldn't want to be without it.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Love it. "Thoughts To Geoff" and "Green And Orange Night" are my favourite songs on this one.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I like the album a lot. It creates its own space, somewhere between fusion, experimental jazz and the current trends in progressive rock. Keith is an astonishing player, but he doesn't abuse his leadership allowing the brass players to shine.
    I particularly like Green and Orange Night - there are moments of Zappic grandeur in there.

I dig Keith, but this one has never really been a favourite.

It's been years though, I should probably give it another try.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Excellent record. This and his first ensemble album are probably Keith at his most acessible, always a rewarding listening. That said, I usually prefer his later large-scale works, like Frames, A Loose Kite, and From Granite to the Wind.

I quite like it, although it's not a fave. In a way I think of it as the 'friendly side of Centipede', and I arguably enjoy it more than I do that mammoth.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Dedicated is a very enjoyable album. The three tracks linked above are the three best--the most straightforward (relatively) with a Britjazz sound.

I never knew the album was from 1971 until today even though I have owned it for 20+ years. Some tracks have either a free style (Gridal, Five--with a psychedelic influence too) or island/mambo (This Is) feel to them. So it always sounded to me like a '69 album. But then G&O could have come straight off of Soft Machine 4. So 1971 makes sense for that one.

One other thing: it doesn't really sound too much to me like the Tippett of the 1980s and 90s. The contemporaneous music he was doing with King Crimson sounds a lot more to me like later Tippett than Dedicated does, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Dedicated is a very enjoyable album. The three tracks linked above are the three best--the most straightforward (relatively) with a Britjazz sound.
    Not sure I'd qualify Thoughts To Geoff as "straightforward". I was carefull in choosing them (between what was available on YT) because we're on a prog site, and many here woumld run away if I'd posted the three most difficult tracks.

Already that this thread has been largely, if not totally ignored, not posted upon. I thought it was a good idea to spark a conversation on Tippett after his very recent passing away.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    we're on a prog site, and many here would run away if I'd posted the three most difficult tracks.
    Well, you know what they say; the truth is often both disconcerting and pitiful.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The little niche occupied by this group, a brief incarnation of the Softs, & Elton Dean's Ninesense - with the presence of the Marc Charig, Nick Evans, Lynn Dobson & Dean - hits a real sweet spot for me. They could groove, they could make a proper racket, they could be tight, or they could be free - but most of all, they're exhilarating. Especially when the horn section takes on the playing of these crunching riffs that were so much a part of these bands' sounds - the sound is so gloriously visceral (the gradual ratcheting up of the propulsive tension during Dean's solo in "Green & Orange", the emergence of accompanying lead lines out of the backing line of horns, especially Evans' trombone, is glorious!). But I also love the how they sound when they solo - this was Dean at his very best, for my taste.

Tippett's passing is a cause for such sadness - he was a stunning player himself, but like many of the great jazzers, he was also a bandleader who allowed the best to emerge from his featured players.

I love this album. Not an everyday affair, but usually during my annual Canterbury binges.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I dig Keith, but this one has never really been a favourite.
    I concur. And for this band, I really prefer I Am Here to this one.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.