Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classics of Psychedelia 1965-1970

Another track worthy of mention here. Man's 'The Storm'. The studio one is from 1969. This slightly later live version (ditching the 'Prelude') has only ever been on one CD. It's magnificent, better than the studio version IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^You might be thinking of Paul Nicholas ('Cousin Kevin' in the Tommy film) who became quite a big name in the musical theatre world.

Billy Nicholls is still around though, he's part of The Who/Pete Townshend's inner circle. Perhaps his best known song is 'Can't Stop Lovin' You (Though I Try)' which Leo Sayer and Phil Collins covered.
    His album from 68 is in my opinion one of the top albums of the 60's - yes

Canned Heat were never a psychedelic band, but in this track – Poor Moon – they do a good job in replicating in the studio the time distortion that, I find, often accompanies the ‘psychedelic experience’.

So Sad (The World’s in a Tangle) is worth listening to just for the excellent guitar of Harvey Mandel, one of the neglected great-guitarists of the era.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Calico Wall "I'm a living sickness"

Godz "Radar eyes"
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    '

A third one which I will not post, but fits the realm of "ambient" west-coast US psychedelia, is 'Song for Our Ancestors' by the Steve Miller Band.
    Sailor is one of the most psychedelic albums ever, IMO, and the first and third Steve Miller albums are also great.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The first three tracks on Fly Like An Eagle are in that languid, psych vein (albeit with a different sound, due to the synths). Not so much the rest of the album, admittedly.

A late entry. The first two Pearls Before Swine albums (on the ESP label) were very psychedelic. This track, Translucent Carriages, comes from the second release, Balaklava (which has just been re-released in a 50th anniversary edition).

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Mighty fine list of tunes that got me through the mid/late '60s. I would add Vanilla Fudge. "The Sky Cried - When I Was A Boy" from their 'Renaissance' album worked for me (among others).

And in passing, Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius does a great job of uncovering old psychedelic classics and ephemera.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    I don't observe Frigid Pink's 1970 release, "Defrosted". The opening cut, "Black Lace" and "Pain In My Heart" are particularly notable. They mixed Psychedelia with driving Blues Rock with a lot of energy and cool guitar licks.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Freeborne - Land of Diana

This was a Boston group associated with the "Bosstown Sound" "scene" (read: marketing gimmick) whose guitar player Bob Margolin went on to become Muddy Waters' guitar player, dubbed "Steady Rollin'" by Waters.