Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT - A Genesis In My Bed: The Autobiography review

STEVE HACKETT - A Genesis In My Bed: The Autobiography review

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nicely done!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Ember
    E-books are an inestimable boon to older readers with degenerating vision. I was pleased to see that a Kindle edition of Steve's book will be released on July 24; the pre-order price on Amazon US is $9.99. Very much looking forward to comfortably reading this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lorne, a lovely admiring and wonderful tone in your review! I look forward to reading it too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Beautiful review that reveals the true essence of Mr. Hackett, and his personality. I love all of the old boys in the band, but I especially love Steve. I still hold great resentment for the direction the band took after his departure, and admire him so much for being the keeper of the keys on the old musical box. The music of Genesis circa 1970-1977 will always remain and retain its place as some of the greatest progressive rock that has ever been created. We all know that. But Steve really does hold the old music in high regard. He "gets" the fine art that was created, and continues to reward the old fans with his great GR concerts. And like a fine wine, his art is still evolving and growing. IMO his guitar playing is better than ever. Lorne, you just helped Steve sell another book. Thanks.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 06-24-2020 at 12:18 AM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

That was a superb review, well done and many thanks. Would love to read this book for sure.

Very nice review, very nice man (having interviewed/met him a few times)... and very nice book, I hope. Definitely on my to-get list.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    E-books are an inestimable boon to older readers with degenerating vision. I was pleased to see that a Kindle edition of Steve's book will be released on July 24; the pre-order price on Amazon US is $9.99. Very much looking forward to comfortably reading this.
    Thanks for that reminder, I have added that button!

And thanks to everyone for the kind words, always nice when something resonates with people. I was worried about coming across too glowing, but I genuinely liked this book.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Very nice! I look forward to my copy (and comparing it to the bio written about him a few years back).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Great job!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I was worried about coming across too glowing, but I genuinely liked this book.
    It comes off quite sincere, great review!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Great job!
    Thank you John, that is high praise coming from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It comes off quite sincere, great review!
    I'm glad, thank you!

Marvellous review, thank you. Will definitely be buying.

Very well done review.

Well written Lorne...SH does appear to be the nice guy he reflects on stage.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I wonder: will an audiobook version of this ever be available, and if so, would Steve consider reading it himself? So far, Phil is the only member of the Genesis family who has done an autobiography that he's also narrated. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it would be pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I wonder: will an audiobook version of this ever be available, and if so, would Steve consider reading it himself? So far, Phil is the only member of the Genesis family who has done an autobiography that he's also narrated. I'm not expecting it to happen, but it would be pretty cool!
    Interesting idea, and I'd like to hear him speak some of his more eloquent passages.

Someone elsewhere asked how long the book is. I should point out that is is not a long read - detailed, yes, but comes in about 50 pages shorter than Rutherford's did. However, Rutherford devotes a good chunk of his book to his father's life story, and Hackett's is all him.

Hackett’s bio really is a beautiful book. Highly recommended for fans of 70’s Genesis and Mr. Hackett’s wonderful solo career. Excellent review! Just the right amount of detail to personal observation about the subject matter. Cheers all.

Interesting idea, and I'd like to hear him speak some of his more eloquent passages.

Someone elsewhere asked how long the book is. I should point out that is is not a long read - detailed, yes, but comes in about 50 pages shorter than Rutherford's did. However, Rutherford devotes a good chunk of his book to his father's life story, and Hackett's is all him.
    Good point; there was a lot of "Dad" in Mike's book.
    (But it did help me understand some of the complexity and quirkiness that Mike shows. As well, his "dislike" of many of the band's pieces stems from pop's influence (being too hard on himself, etc.). I am not trying to be his shrink--LOL--I simply recognize many of my traits in Mike.)

Yes, I enjoyed Mike's book quite a lot, actually. Just pointing out that I don't want to mislead people into thinking Steve's book is some mighty tome that takes weeks to get through!

Yes, I enjoyed Mike's book quite a lot, actually. Just pointing out that I don't want to mislead people into thinking Steve's book is some mighty tome that takes weeks to get through!
    Did you read the Alan Hewitt book on Hackett? If so, did you notice any inconsistencies or interesting comparisons?

(I find that comparing biographies with autobiographies is often enlightening.)

Thank you for a wonderful review so well written. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I have been fortunate enough to have met him a few times and chatted briefly. He is very approachable and a very nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Did you read the Alan Hewitt book on Hackett? If so, did you notice any inconsistencies or interesting comparisons?
    Yes, I have that, although it's not a favourite of mine. Some of the info is great. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't really compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptalker View Post
    Thank you for a wonderful review so well written. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I have been fortunate enough to have met him a few times and chatted briefly. He is very approachable and a very nice man.
    Yes, a terrific guy. I interviewed him for The Night Siren in 2017 and he was very complimentary of my article, and shared it on his site. That was back in the print magazine days:

http://hackettsongs.com/interview/interview21.html

... that was a fun one, because I made him laugh early on. When I mentioned where I'm from, he said "Ahhh, I thought you might be Canadian. I thought I could detect that." and I said "I think you're English." I had previously met him in 2005, as well as his brother John, and we chatted about the then-new VDGG album Present. He was very warm and friendly. And now he's shared this book review on his Twitter, which sent our web traffic through the roof!

I haven't watched this yet but new Hackett interview here:

Yes, I have that, although it's not a favourite of mine. Some of the info is great. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't really compare them.

Yes, a terrific guy. I interviewed him for The Night Siren in 2017 and he was very complimentary of my article, and shared it on his site. That was back in the print magazine days:

http://hackettsongs.com/interview/interview21.html

... that was a fun one, because I made him laugh early on. When I mentioned where I'm from, he said "Ahhh, I thought you might be Canadian. I thought I could detect that." and I said "I think you're English." I had previously met him in 2005, as well as his brother John, and we chatted about the then-new VDGG album Present. He was very warm and friendly. And now he's shared this book review on his Twitter, which sent our web traffic through the roof!
    Very nice!

He really is a Gentleman.

(And yes, there was something about the Hewitt book that seemed off; I am not sure I can put my finger on it.)