Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT - A Genesis In My Bed: The Autobiography review

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Got my copy a few days ago. Only 180 pages so halfway through it already, some LOL moments, some very honest personal stuff although Kim Poor is mentioned a bare minimum of times perhaps understandably, some things rather glossed over, but as I say only half way through. Anyone else got it yet?
    Just started her up yesterday.

Got it. Will be a while before it gets read.

I wanted to share this for anyone that might have missed it. We discuss the book, among other things...

Got the book together with an biography on John Martyn this week. Started with the latter, so can't comment right now.

I've finished it now. An enjoyable and easy read, Steve certainly doesn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers - not even Mike Rutherford's who I think behaved very badly to him on at least two documented occasions. Hackett certainly has had quite a few paranormal experiences, the ghost of Chris Squire story would be enough to start another 100 pages of speculation over at Yesfans

His account of what happened when Punk rock hit in the late 70's is quite heartfelt too. I won't go on for fear of creating spoilers but its a good read albeit a little short.

I've finished it now. An enjoyable and easy read, Steve certainly doesn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers - not even Mike Rutherford's who I think behaved very badly to him on at least two documented occasions. Hackett certainly has had quite a few paranormal experiences, the ghost of Chris Squire story would be enough to start another 100 pages of speculation over at Yesfans

His account of what happened when Punk rock hit in the late 70's is quite heartfelt too. I won't go on for fear of creating spoilers but its a good read albeit a little short.
    What happened with Mike Rutherford?

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    What happened with Mike Rutherford?
    -Spoiler Alert-

Firstly, after the release of Voyage when the US record label was filming Steve for an interview backstage at a Genesis gig Mike threw down his bass in annoyance and demanded a meeting with himself & Banks when Hackett was told they didn't want him doing more solo projects while remaining in the band.

Secondly, in more recent years when the Together & Apart documentary was released, Steve was surprised that his solo career was ignored despite him being interviewed for it. The reason was given when the director of the doc tweeted that Mike had asked for more of his career to be included and less of Steve's.

Both these events speak volumes to me..

-Spoiler Alert-

Firstly, after the release of Voyage when the US record label was filming Steve for an interview backstage at a Genesis gig Mike threw down his bass in annoyance and demanded a meeting with himself & Banks when Hackett was told they didn't want him doing more solo projects while remaining in the band.

Secondly, in more recent years when the Together & Apart documentary was released, Steve was surprised that his solo career was ignored despite him being interviewed for it. The reason was given when the director of the doc tweeted that Mike had asked for more of his career to be included and less of Steve's.

I don't doubt your account of this event but I've always found this line of reasoning to be bogus.. Phil had already been a part of other fusion projects and otherwise by this time as had Mike (Anthony Phillips first solo release).. and I've seen Phil talk about how he enjoyed doing the various side gigs apart from Genesis.. Mike certainly didn't mind when Phil's solo career took off and plenty of Phil's new fans showed up at Genesis concerts to see what else Phil was a part of..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I don't doubt your account of this event but I've always found this line of reasoning to be bogus.. Phil had already been a part of other fusion projects and otherwise by this time as had Mike (Anthony Phillips first solo release).. and I've seen Phil talk about how he enjoyed doing the various side gigs apart from Genesis.. Mike certainly didn't mind when Phil's solo career took off and plenty of Phil's new fans showed up at Genesis concerts to see what else Phil was a part of..
    It's not my account, it's Hackett's account per his book, but yes I agree.

Maybe it's the old "do as I say, not as I do"? Steve was always the outsider in the band (my opinion)

-Spoiler Alert-

The "Together Apart" documentary just happened to be on TV this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Maybe it's the old "do as I say, not as I do"? Steve was always the outsider in the band (my opinion)
    And Rutherford wasn't afraid to pull rank as a founder member of the band it seems.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

And Rutherford wasn't afraid to pull rank as a founder member of the band it seems.
    Well, he couldn't boss Banks around, so someone had to bear the brunt!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The "Together Apart" documentary just happened to be on TV this afternoon.
    My deepest condolences if you happened to see it. A botch job. I remember that Hackett was absolutely scathing about it in a phone interview just after it aired.

I liked the attempt at rewriting history- going out on top with Collins after We Can't Dance, and then reforming as conquering heroes for the 2007 tour. Ray Wilson- who's that??

The much-hyped interview with the five members was seldom used but there was definitely an 'atmosphere', with a fair bit of treading on eggshells. Maybe this is an insight as to why there never was a long-term reunion of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    My deepest condolences if you happened to see it. A botch job. I remember that Hackett was absolutely scathing about it in a phone interview just after it aired.

I liked the attempt at rewriting history- going out on top with Collins after We Can't Dance, and then reforming as conquering heroes for the 2007 tour. Ray Wilson- who's that??

The much-hyped interview with the five members was seldom used but there was definitely an 'atmosphere', with a fair bit of treading on eggshells. Maybe this is an insight as to why there never was a long-term reunion of them.
    I did watch some of it and have seen it before when it first came out. I agree, it could have been much better than it was and they left a lot of stuff out.

The doc was just a marketing tool to gin up interest in the release of the "RKive" double CD set.

They even left Wind & Wuthering out of the doc didn't they? My fave album [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

It's getting very mixed reviews on Amazon. Not sure whether to get it, or not, as I've already read the Rutherford and MacPhail bios, fairly recently.

https://www.amazon.ca/Genesis-My-Bed...pe=all_reviews

neil

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It's getting very mixed reviews on Amazon. Not sure whether to get it, or not, as I've already read the Rutherford and MacPhail bios, fairly recently.

neil
    It's a quick read. The story of his youth was less interesting than when and his solo career was highlighted. I wouldn't say it's an amazing read but it still essential for his fanbase. He covers his entire career and tells stories of his personal life that connects with the music. I did learn new things I hadn't heard about before. You leave reading the book with the impression that Steve is a human person with ups and downs and a real honest way of telling his story. He openly discusses his insecurity as a performer in his early career but conquering these feeling as he matured.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    For what it is worth, I really enjoyed it. As mozo-pg mentions it is a pretty quick read and there are no great revelations, but I thought it was worth a read. I have also read Ruthaford, Collins, and MacPhail's books which I also enjoyed.

For what it is worth, I really enjoyed it. As mozo-pg mentions it is a pretty quick read and there are no great revelations, but I thought it was worth a read. I have also read Ruthaford, Collins, and MacPhail's books which I also enjoyed.
    I enjoyed it too. And when Steve writes about a couple of scenes in his childhood I can hear certain sounds - especially from "Please Don't Touch!" that seem to be inspired by those scenes. (He mentions some other songs himself from other albums which were inspired by his experiences in his youth.) Haven't read Rutherfords autobiography, but I'm sure Steve has written a very different story

-Spoiler Alert-

I'll assume that Mike wrote the lyrics to "Down and Out" considering how bitter they are.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Yup...I too read all those. I too feel Steve’s book is very worthwhile. I like how he is very honest about his setbacks and issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'll assume that Mike wrote the lyrics to "Down and Out" considering how bitter they are.
    "Down and Out" was not about Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    "Down and Out" was not about Steve.
    I didn't think that it was implied that it was. Just a general negativity at times, on Mike's part.

neil