Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

I figured I would start a thread for my Saturday night "talk show"/podcast. I've done a few threads here asking for questions for it and alluded to it. I had some spare time on my hands since getting laid off (gee, thanks Covid) so to give me something to do on the weekends I decided to take a cue from guys like Rick Beato and do my own online show. Considerably more laid back and on the cheap than anything Rick does, but it really boils down to content and a lot of great info about these artists has come to light in the past few months doing these. It's one where I do a Zoom conference, stream it live on Facebook and then upload it to my YouTube page as an archive.

The first episode was just chatting with bandmates and local friends. Pretty quick it dawned on me it could be pretty cool if I reached out to various musical friends on my list, and some actors and entertainers too. It's not like I wanna talk prog all the time, this show is more than that, though that's the bulk of it. People have been encouraging me to do something like this for years and the Zoom era came along at the right time for a guy like me that hates to transcribe phone interviews. I consider it a podcast that you can watch, though I'd probably suggest you listen to it while you do something else! It's just a bunch of talking heads in boxes, but we're there if you want to watch.

Here's a link to past shows. Some prog related episodes you might like are with Mike Keneally, Nick D'Virgillio, Tom Brislin, Marco Minnemann & Randy McStine and Jake Livgren. The one with Jellyfish/Lickerish Quartet keyboardist Roger Joseph Manning Jr is another prog folks might dig too....

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightL...able_polymer=1

Coming up over the next month we've got interviews with musical renaissance man Fernando Perdomo, Yes bassist Billy Sherwood, NEARFest Memories with Rob & Chad + guests, Wings guitarist Laurence Juber and Vaylor Trucks discussing the Allman Brothers family tree and more. If you could subscribe to my YouTube page, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-22-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Banned
    Looking forward to checking these out

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Same here! I just subscribed.

Here's this week's show with Fernando. We discussed all sorts of stuff. Like classic prog bands, vintage vs modern amps, top 5 underrated guitarists, Echo In The Canyon, his work with Dave Kerzner, recording his own album at Abbey Road, his top 10 album picks and much more.

Next week, my guest is Billy Sherwood. Any questions for him?
    Last edited by Sean; 06-28-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Banned
    ^^^^

Good show; Fernando's a good interview in both an entertaining and informative way. Especially in the Top 10 albums segment, where he elaborated on why the albums were special to him. For instance, when he held up the first "McCartney" solo album I reacted in a similar manner to you, not one that many people would pick from his solo career. However, he then alluded to "Ram" being a better album overall, yet the fact that Paul played all the instruments and that it wasn't just a "Pop" release, made it a special influence in his mind. Also, giving the somewhat unheralded and oft-criticized BS&T 4 album some deserved respect was good to hear (it's more than "Go Down Gambling. you know?).

Enjoyed the show.

Thanks! That was a fun one. At it's best I like this show to feel like a casual chat between friends and that one was.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.

I made a couple playlists....

One with music from our guests- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tz...W8nephuzYlmmSL

One with hilights from my weekly "Vinyl Confessions / Suggestions"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXqP...o_6HkIIGNf7hFR

Thanks for all that dropped by! We covered a lot of bases in addition to the PE questions submitted. We basically started when Billy met Chris Squire, which alone is a cool story, and go through the 90s, album by album. I think we uncovered a few nuggets about each that might not have been mentioned before. We discussed Yes since he's been in the bass role too including the possibilities of a new Yes album and what it would be like. And much more....

Next week my guests are our old friends Rob LaDuca and Chad Hutchinson. NEARFest memories we call it, so drop by and relive them with us and mention some of your faves too. We will have some special guests dropping by too that you might have seen perform there.

Saturday is shaping up to be quite a party for our NEARFest memories show!

Check out these guests that will be dropping by!

Annie Haslam/Renaissance
    Larry Fast/Peter Gabriel
    Derek "Mo" Moore/Nektar
    Brett Kull/Echolyn
    Mike Keneally/Zappa and more

The eons are closing
    Ahh...you will post to YT. Excellent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Banned
    The Billy Sherwood interview was awesome. Covered a lot of territory with a musician who has played a huge field. Don’t blame him for avoiding the Yes RORHOF controversy other than met with Geddy who said he should be playing. Billy simply said politics. I may see I can get personal opinion about the sound of that show, from his vantage point and the TV if he heard it. He also talked to Bruford backstage and had a good time, I can imagine.

If you're on Facebook and want to keep with the upcoming shows I made a group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/737955120370226/ Drop by and JOIN to keep in the loop.

That was a really cool show, if I do say so! I think I got to most of your questions. Though I didn't have time to share more than a couple memories. Sorry about that. Too many were happening in real time.

Thanks all for tuning in and thanks to Chad, Rob and our guests (Annie Haslam, Mo Moore, Larry Fast, Brett Kull and Mike Keneally) for making this such a unique episode! Some cool info about the new Nektar album is here, along with info on Mike's new solo record and Brett's new album with Echolyn. Annie recalls Carnegie hall and discusses how awesome playing with an orchestra can be. Her collab with Steve Howe on "Turn of the Century" comes up too. That almost became a new group with new music but Jon Anderson called in the middle of it to reunite Yes so that was that. Larry stuck around and last hour is a chat with him about the first four Gabriel albums, playing with Nektar on Recycled and the reunion at NF, Synergy- one man shows and his friendship with synth pioneer Wendy Carlos. Among other topics.

Next weekend I have a double shot- two shows. A special Friday night show with Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant and my usual Saturday night show with Wings guitarist Laurence Juber. Thanks all for tuning in and thanks to Chad, Rob and our guests for making this such a unique episode!
    Last edited by Sean; 07-12-2020 at 06:17 AM.

Banned
    Great, star studded show last night! It was much fun to see and hear the enthusiasm from the guests remembrances of the Nearfest days. Annie, despite the connection issues, was funny and a class act as usual.

Banned
    I haven’t seen it all yet. Was the comment below serious about Jon Anderson and Yes reunited? When was that?

I think it was when they got together to do the Keys albums.

I had a chance to speak on the phone with John today and wanted to share this interview here. This was a 30 min call discussing his new single, "In These Crazy Times". We talk about a lot of other topics too. The possibility of a new Moodies album. Early influences. Gear and basses. Even mid-show Mellotron breakdowns.

I got to most all of the questions submitted here at PE and FB. My apologies if I missed a few.... Derek arrives around the 14:45 mark. Right after my co-host and I discuss the GG catalog for the uninitiated. Noah drops in around the 30 min mark to discuss how the new fan + band vid of "Proclamation" was created. Then we go deep with (aka "grill" ) Derek with a series of questions that cover all aspects of his career with Gentle Giant. With looks at Simon Dupree from time to time too. Also, his life as an 80s A & R man for major labels. Signing and cultivating mega acts like Bon Jovi, Dream Theater and Pantera, among others.

Big thanks to Derek and Noah for making this a memorable evening! And thanks to my co-host, my old friend Brad Oldham.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sean, you did a very effective job of weaving in quiestions seemlesslly while maintaining a casual discussion that was highly informative. I watched the full video and my interest remained solid throughout the interview. It was great to see Noah and his musical journey with his father's band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here's this week's regular Sat night episode. My guest was Laurence Juber, guitarist from the late 70s lineup of Paul McCartney's Wings. We discuss the two years he spent in the band, the Back To The Egg album, the Rockestra, the tour and even the bust in Japan. We discuss his time as a studio musician pre and post Wings. His exclusive use of the DADGAD tuning. And his various books on guitar techniques, fingerstyle guitar, and even a coffee table book of photos he took during his time with Wings. My co-host was Fernando Perdomo.

^ Wasn't he with Al Stewart in the 90s, after Peter White parted ways with Al?

I think so, yeah!

Last edited by Sean; 07-19-2020 at 05:36 PM.

^ I'll try and give it a listen tomorrow when I have time.

I need to index it. There's so many cool stories in this one.

A short chat with Rick today....