Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The majority I didn't know, though I was usually "friends" with them on Facebook. The first couple shows I did were with people I actually knew already, but after that, not much. I got started by asking people though FB messenger. Some I have gotten to know a bit thanks to the show though, and have had them back on the show again. I don't usually mention PE, just the show and share a link to past episodes so they can see who's been on. Sometimes I write their website instead of approaching them on FB. Not all tend to their fan pages there. Occasionally I work with a few PR firms, but that's the exception more than the rule.

I think Colin mentioned Hillage briefly.
    Actually, it seems to me that the whole COVID-19 situation has opened a lot of artists up more to the idea of doing interviews online, I guess partly because they have more time on their hands, and also because if they do interviews at all it's going to be on the phone or online, maybe they're open to more venues than they might usually accept. But you seem to have a good rapport with them all, and you talk with them as though you're not just meeting them for the first time, which is why I asked the question. If you haven't done a lot of this before starting the show, you've at least found a good career option to continue with even after COVID is no longer such a problem!

Thanks, Jed! I appreciate the support and interest. Very much. Not sure where this is all going to lead but a change of career was in the cards for me anyway.
    Last edited by Sean; 02-15-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hey Sean! Looks like a very interesting list of interviews on your schedule. I'll check out the Arc of Life.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Had a great chat with Andy West this weekend. **For Episode #68 Andy West drops by to discuss his most recent musical projects like Five Times Surprise and Zen Walk. We look back on his initial musical inspirations and how he met Steve Morse and created the Dixie Dregs. We take a look at albums and music and walk though a brief history of the band. We also discuss their writing and arranging process, and discuss various pieces and their creation. Andy shares his thoughts on his Modulus, Steinberger and Alembic basses. The work Andy has done with Henry Kaiser and Mike Keneally comes up as well, including their band The Mistakes.

Last edited by Sean; 02-21-2021 at 03:57 AM.

Banned
    Had a great chat with Andy West this weekend. **For Episode #68 Andy West drops by to discuss his most recent musical projects like Five Times Surprise and Zen Walk. We look back on his initial musical inspirations and how he met Steve Morse and created the Dixie Dregs. We take a look at albums and music and walk though a brief history of the band. We also discuss their writing and arranging process, and discuss various pieces and their creation. Andy shares his thoughts on his Modulus, Steinberger and Alembic basses. The work Andy has done with Henry Kaiser and Mike Keneally comes up as well, including their band The Mistakes. For the first twenty or so minutes we discuss Andy's years in the computer programming world.

I am looking forward to this one. I wonder if there was any discussion about what were the factors involved with Andy West versus Dave Larue playing bass with Steve Morse.

Had a chat today with Chad. **For Episode #69 we caught up with Chad Wackerman. We got up to date on his what he's up to in 2021, including some session work and teaching via his website's "Drum Room". We look back on his early inspirations and groups he was part of. Then, he discusses how he came to work with Frank Zappa, Allan Holdsworth, Andy Summers, Steven Wilson and more!

Not sure where this is all going to lead but a change of career was in the cards for me anyway.
    Sean, this has developed in to something great pretty quickly. I'm amazed at the number of world class artists you've interviewed already. And with the current world situation the timing is right. I'm going to check out the Chad Wackerman, and I'm looking forward to the Jerry Goodman. The Andy West interview was great and it was nice to hear him give you some compliments on what you're doing.

Had another chat with Henry and Aymeric today...

Here's Episode #70 **If you missed our new look at the various solo albums by Yes men, past and present, and various offshoot groups like UK, Bruford, Badger, Flash, Circa, Arc Of Life and more, check out this new episode in our four part series about The History of Yes. I am once again joined by my friends, Yes historians Henry Potts and Aymeric Leroy. Part four (a look at live albums) was done today too. I will share that one later next week, once the dust from this one settles. What are YOUR favorite Yes solo albums?

Last edited by Sean; 03-01-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Had the distinct pleasure of chatting with David today about his amazing music and career. My old friend, pianist Jez Graham co-hosts this one with me. **For Episode #72 my co-host Jez Graham and I chat with keyboardist/guitarist David Sancious. We catch up on the musical projects he is working on in 2021 and look back on his amazing career. His times playing with Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, Stanley Clarke, Jon Anderson of Yes and more are discussed in detail. Also, his own amazing music, solo and with his fusion group Tone and his new album, Eyes Wide Open.

Here's a twist. I guested on Pete Pardo's new show on the Sea Of Tranquility page at YouTube, "In The Prog Seat". We discuss prog albums from the 1990s. We give our Top 5 list. We're joined on this panel by a member of PE you may remember, Rand Kelly and also, Rick LaBonte.

Coming In April-
    Barry Andrews (XTC, Shreikback)
    Yay!

Richard Williams (Kansas)
    This should be awesome!

Nathan East (Eric Clapton, Toto, Daft Punk)
    I went to school with him!

IMG_1933.jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Looking forward the March installments Sean!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Please drop by and sub if you have yet to. There's a lot of cool stuff coming up. Like...

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Kick The Cat (w/Kris Myers of Umphrey's McGee)- March 6th
    * Carl Verheyen (Supertramp)- March 11th
    * Jerry Goodman- (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, The Flock)- March 13th
    * Percy Jones (Brand X )- March 20th
    * The Greatest Prog Guitar Riffs w/Alan Benjamin, Karl Eisenhart and Yours Truly- March 26th
    * The History of Progressive Rock Part 2- (1980 thru 1999) w/Strawberry Brick's Chas Snider- March 27th
    * The Evolution of Steely Dan- April 3rd A close look at the building blocks of Steely music and how it became more sophisticated as time passed. Music educator/pianist Bill Graham is my guest.
    * Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Is Dead)- April 9th
    * Marc Bonilla (Keith Emerson Band, Toy Matinee, Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap)- April 10th
    * Barry Andrews (XTC, Shriekback)- April 17th

Coming In April-
    Richard Williams (Kansas) & Nathan East (Eric Clapton, Toto, Daft Punk)

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos
    Last edited by Sean; 03-06-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Sean I tried to watch the Pardo/SOT thing in the prog hot seat. I gave up after 20 minutes. I got dizzy with the one guy walking around his house with the laptop....

Well, Flower Kings did come up and the floral wallpaper he gave us a tour of was appropriate.

Please drop by and sub if you have yet to. There's a lot of cool stuff coming up. Like...

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Kick The Cat (w/Kris Myers of Umphrey's McGee)- March 6th
    * Carl Verheyen (Supertramp)- March 11th
    * Jerry Goodman- (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, The Flock)- March 13th
    * Percy Jones (Brand X )- March 20th
    * The Greatest Prog Guitar Riffs w/Alan Benjamin, Karl Eisenhart and Yours Truly- March 26th
    * The History of Progressive Rock Part 2- (1980 thru 1999) w/Strawberry Brick's Chas Snider- March 27th
    * The Evolution of Steely Dan- April 3rd A close look at the building blocks of Steely music and how it became more sophisticated as time passed. Music educator/pianist Bill Graham is my guest.
    * Marc Bonilla (Keith Emerson Band, Toy Matinee, Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap)- April 10th
    * Barry Andrews (XTC, Shriekback)- April 17th

Coming In April-
    Richard Williams (Kansas) & Nathan East (Eric Clapton, Toto, Daft Punk)

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos
    Wow, you are one person who isn't feeling lonely or cut-off from society during the pandemic!

Billy C SOAL.jpg

Excited to announce that Billy Cobham will be our guest on April 9th!

That I'll watch. Billy is a drum god. I have Spectrum. Classic. Tommy Bolin plays out of his mind.

Had a great chat with Kris and the guys from Kick The Cat. If you are into modern fusion, check this group out, they are stellar!

**For Episode #73 the members of the Chicago fusion quartet Kick The Cat drop by to chat about their upcoming album, Gurgle. We were joined by drummer Kris Myers (of Umphrey's McGee), keyboardist Vijay Tellis-Nayak and bassist Chris Clemente. Guitarist Chris Siebold was tied up, btw. We discussed how they came to work with Kris, early influences and gigs, the Chicago music scene, the spirit of improv and their discography. The guys also share various stories of working with the likes of Kanye West, Chuck Berry, Percy Sledge and working on Chicago productions of Wicked and The Lion King are also discussed. + much more.

Here is a very recent set. Check out their tunes!

Had another chat with Henry and Aymeric today...

Here's Episode #70 **If you missed our new look at the various solo albums by Yes men, past and present, and various offshoot groups like UK, Bruford, Badger, Flash, Circa, Arc Of Life and more, check out this new episode in our four part series about The History of Yes. I am once again joined by my friends, Yes historians Henry Potts and Aymeric Leroy. Part four (a look at live albums) was done today too. I will share that one later next week, once the dust from this one settles. What are YOUR favorite Yes solo albums?

Fabulous!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Had a great chat with Kris and the guys from Kick The Cat. If you are into modern fusion, check this group out, they are stellar!

**For Episode #73 the members of the Chicago fusion quartet Kick The Cat drop by to chat about their upcoming album, Gurgle. We were joined by drummer Kris Myers (of Umphrey's McGee), keyboardist Vijay Tellis-Nayak and bassist Chris Clemente. Guitarist Chris Siebold was tied up, btw. We discussed how they came to work with Kris, early influences and gigs, the Chicago music scene, the spirit of improv and their discography. The guys also share various stories of working with the likes of Kanye West, Chuck Berry, Percy Sledge and working on Chicago productions of Wicked and The Lion King are also discussed. + much more.

Here is a very recent set. Check out their tunes!

Wow, they're tight as a witch's __________ (fill in the blank)! Very, very good, and they're pretty amusing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Fabulous!

Today's show was a little different, chatting with a world class LA session musician....

**For Episode #74 LA session guitarist, Carl Verheyen drops by to discuss is new album, Sundial. We look at various cuts from it and their inspirations. Also, we discuss Carl's world-class session work for blockbuster movies like Ratatouille, The Milagro Beanfield War and many others. TV soundtrack work as well, for award winning shows like Cheers, Seinfeld and Scrubs. Carl discusses musical encounters with Herbie Hancock, John Fogerty, Dolly Parton and many more. Carl also gives tips on the business side of the music biz for guitarists and discusses the evolution of transcribing.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-11-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Sean, your really stretching the boundaries of who you interview. The traditional Yes ones -III and IV - were excellent. I'll check this one out for different reasons.