Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

I figured I would start a thread for my Saturday night "talk show"/podcast. I've done a few threads here asking for questions for it and alluded to it. I had some spare time on my hands since getting laid off (gee, thanks Covid) so to give me something to do on the weekends I decided to take a cue from guys like Rick Beato and do my own online show. Considerably more laid back and on the cheap than anything Rick does, but it really boils down to content and a lot of great info about these artists has come to light in the past few months doing these. It's one where I do a Zoom conference, stream it live on Facebook and then upload it to my YouTube page as an archive.

The first episode was just chatting with bandmates and local friends. Pretty quick it dawned on me it could be pretty cool if I reached out to various musical friends on my list, and some actors and entertainers too. It's not like I wanna talk prog all the time, this show is more than that, though that's the bulk of it. People have been encouraging me to do something like this for years and the Zoom era came along at the right time for a guy like me that hates to transcribe phone interviews. I consider it a podcast that you can watch, though I'd probably suggest you listen to it while you do something else! It's just a bunch of talking heads in boxes, but we're there if you want to watch.

Here's a link to past shows. Some prog related episodes you might like are with Mike Keneally, Nick D'Virgillio, Tom Brislin, Marco Minnemann & Randy McStine and Jake Livgren. The one with Jellyfish/Lickerish Quartet keyboardist Roger Joseph Manning Jr is another prog folks might dig too....

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightL...able_polymer=1

Coming up over the next month we've got interviews with musical renaissance man Fernando Perdomo, Yes bassist Billy Sherwood, NEARFest Memories with Rob & Chad + guests, Wings guitarist Laurence Juber and Vaylor Trucks discussing the Allman Brothers family tree and more. If you could subscribe to my YouTube page, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Last edited by Sean; 1 Week Ago at 11:52 PM.

Looking forward to checking these out
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Same here! I just subscribed.

Here's this week's show with Fernando. We discussed all sorts of stuff. Like classic prog bands, vintage vs modern amps, top 5 underrated guitarists, Echo In The Canyon, his work with Dave Kerzner, recording his own album at Abbey Road, his top 10 album picks and much more.

Next week, my guest is Billy Sherwood. Any questions for him?
    Last edited by Sean; 6 Days Ago at 05:16 AM.

^^^^

Good show; Fernando's a good interview in both an entertaining and informative way. Especially in the Top 10 albums segment, where he elaborated on why the albums were special to him. For instance, when he held up the first "McCartney" solo album I reacted in a similar manner to you, not one that many people would pick from his solo career. However, he then alluded to "Ram" being a better album overall, yet the fact that Paul played all the instruments and that it wasn't just a "Pop" release, made it a special influence in his mind. Also, giving the somewhat unheralded and oft-criticized BS&T 4 album some deserved respect was good to hear (it's more than "Go Down Gambling. you know?).

Enjoyed the show.

Thanks! That was a fun one. At it's best I like this show to feel like a casual chat between friends and that one was.
    Last edited by Sean; 5 Days Ago at 05:06 PM.

I made a couple playlists....

One with music from our guests- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tz...W8nephuzYlmmSL

One with hilights from my weekly "Vinyl Confessions / Suggestions"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXqP...o_6HkIIGNf7hFR