Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What does SOAL mean?
    These sound like some good shows coming up, BTW!

Story Of A Life, because every show is a sort of biography.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Story Of A Life, because every show is a sort of biography.
    Isn't that also the name of your album or band??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes. Reason being, when I started this show I didn't really know I was on to something. I just wanted to try ZOOM with some of my band mates and the first few were just them and a some local musician friends. For the second one I called it SOAL Night Live, just as joke really. As if people would tune in weekly to watch me blather about my tunes and stuff. Not likely... I quickly realized that it would be better if I had a "known" guest to chat with and looked up some FB friends like Jake Livgren and Mike Keneally to get started. In hindsight, SOAL is a better name for the show (than the band) since it is a story of someone's life. Or a band or a genre, etc. I did use a tune from my band's album as the theme song. Just to make things more confusing! It's been nice to cut to the chase and talk to people we discuss here often.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-04-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Son of a Lich
    Sounds of Ambulatory Lobsters
    Seagulls Over Annie's Lunch
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

For Episode #46 our guest is Ambrosia drummer Burleigh Drummond. We take a look at his early musical inspirations and dig into the history of one of the 70s greatest progressive meets pop groups. Their history and discography are discussed in detail. With info on the creation of each album and key tracks on each. Including Alan Parson's involvement on their first two. Their move away from prog rock into more R&B "Yacht Rock" territory is discussed too and how the Yacht term expanded their fan base into new generations. We look at choice deep cuts and hits too, like "Holdin' On To Yesterday", "Biggest Part of Me", "You're The Only Woman" and "How Much I Feel". Great stories of opening for and touring with mid 70s acts like Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, The Doobie Brothers, The Beach Boys and more are here. A look at Burleigh's brief time with Frank Zappa comes up too and much more!

Banned
    I am watching now. Like the recognition of Animal Logic with Stewart Copeland, Stanley Clarke and Debra Holland. One of the most incredible rhythm sections in rock.

BTW why would I could I not find the FB link for the live show?
    Last edited by Firth; 11-08-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Banned
    Festivals came up in the discussion with Burleigh and I was surprised ROSfest didn’t come up. Ambrosia played a somewhat proggy version of their repertoire there at the Keswick.

Banned
    Burleigh mentioned Apothecary off Life Beyond LA. They did a killer performance of the song at ROSfest with Joe Puerta really showing off.

Thanks for checking this one out, everyone!

If you have yet to subscribe, please do- https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

If you have.... Many thanks!

Here's what's coming up later this month...

For Episode #47 we catch up with Guy Pratt, bassist for Pink Floyd since the mid 80s and all of David Gilmour's post-Floyd solo albums and tours. He also played on the amazing debut album from Toy Matinee. He's done stints with Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry too. We talk his current activities- a podcast with a who's who of rock and more, and his Lockdown Licks series on YouTube. Then, we talk about his early musical inspirations and loves, early gear and early bands. A look at his bass collection over the years is next- gear talk. Around 55 minutes in we turn to talk of Floyd and the tours and album he was part of. Also, we discuss his time playing with Jimmy Page and David Coverdale, and his current gig with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, playing the great tunes from the pre-Dark Side Floyd catalog.

COMING UP ON SOAL NIGHT LIVE!
    November 14th- The History Of Yacht Rock- w/Greg Lee of The Yacht Rock Revue. 8PM Eastern
    November 21st- Camel bassist/vocalist Colin Bass *Daytime Edition 2PM Eastern
    November 28th- Mo Moore and his Nektar bandmates. 9PM Eastern Discussing their upcoming holiday streaming concert and the history of Nektar.

Coming Nov half.jpg

For Episode #47 we catch up with Guy Pratt, bassist for Pink Floyd since the mid 80s and all of David Gilmour's post-Floyd solo albums and tours. He also played on the amazing debut album from Toy Matinee. He's done stints with Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry too. We talk his current activities- a podcast with a who's who of rock and more, and his Lockdown Licks series on YouTube. Then, we talk about his early musical inspirations and loves, early gear and early bands. A look at his bass collection over the years is next- gear talk. Around 55 minutes in we turn to talk of Floyd and the tours and album he was part of. Also, we discuss his time playing with Jimmy Page and David Coverdale, and his current gig with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, playing the great tunes from the pre-Dark Side Floyd catalog.
    Excellent
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Episode #50 is coming up in a week or two so I put together a vid to look back at the shows so far and all our awesome guests. Thank you all for tuning in. You are the best!
    Last edited by Sean; 11-14-2020 at 04:56 AM.

Enjoyable listen. Great interview.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

For Episode #48 we set a course for adventure as we look at the history of Yacht Rock. A musical genre that is unique. Unlike any other, the yacht rock genre was coined/named decades after it's heyday, thanks to a show in the mid 2000s that was a tongue in cheek parody of it called....wait for it.....Yacht Rock! Out of that 12 part series (available on YouTube) a new reverence for the artists included in it grew and new generations became hip to the music. We take a look back at the well known artists like Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers with Michael McDonald, Hall and Oates, Ambrosia, Boz Scaggs first. Then, we dig into a list of groups and artists that had a handful of seminal yacht tunes. One hit wonders and two and three hit ones in some cases. Many songs share a similar "uptown" approach to harmony, but occasionally a simple nautical lyric or a groovy captain's get up gets in the yacht ballpark too. Our co-host is Greg Lee, bassist/vocalist for the Atlanta based Yacht Rock Revue. Their flawless attention to detail has garnered them worldwide acclaim as THE ultimate tribute to Yacht Rock in a live setting. They also have an album of original music that transcends the Yacht tag too and offers a fun, fresh compliment to their classic live catalog.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-15-2020 at 02:26 AM.

For Episode #49 we chat with Camel bassist Colin Bass. He fills us in on his latest doings, musical and otherwise. Then, we take a look at his earliest musical influences/loves, early bands, basses and gear. Next, the bands he was in prior to Camel, including playing with Gong's Steve Hillage. His time with Camel and a look at the albums he was part of is next, and even a couple he wasn't. He shares memories of recording each and fave/standout tracks. We also discuss his work with world music catalysts 3 Mustaphas 3 and a look at Colin's major hit in Indonesia, Denpasar Moon. The future of Camel music is discussed and Colin reminds us that only Andy Latimer can really say if it will happen. Maybe someday we will get a chance to ask him.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-21-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Banned
    For some reason, I got the impression that Kit Watkins only toured with Camel. Colin Bass set me straight. Wow, how did I miss this studio effort with 2 songs he is credited with. One is a Happy the Man song (Eye of the Storm).

Banned
    The Kit Watkins - HTM song performed with Camel musicians.

For my 50th episode the current lineup drops by to discuss their recent studio album The Other Side, the new live album Live at The Wildey Theatre and their current doings. Their plans in lieu of the eventually rescheduled live stream/broadcast. They have a great 2+ hour live "best of" to share on the 5th instead which should tie you over. We look back at early vinyl purchases and talk about their current gear. Then we take a look at their discography, album by album with personal memories and anecdotes. Some of which even the guys in the band hadn't heard. I added minute markers for each album in the comments.

I NEED A HAND (By Dec 4th) CAN YOU HELP? The big prog rock magazine out of the UK called PROG has a yearly Readers Poll and one of the categories you can vote for is "Prog's Unsung Hero". This is a category for people on the periphery, not artists per se. There are dozens of categories for artists too this year though. Could you drop them a line and vote for me? I think between my musical talk show (SOAL Night Live) and the work I have done for 20+ years at Progressive Ears I should qualify. Send an email to prog@futurenet.com With the subject line "Readers Poll 2020" and then, in the email say- "Please nominate Sean Tonar for Prog's Unsung Hero of the Year". I'd be grateful! Cutoff date is Dec 4th so please hurry and thanks a million!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Done.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Seconded

Hey, why not?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Thanks for the votes!

**For Episode #51 we caught up with Styx drummer Todd Sucherman. We discuss his doings as of late and look at his early years as a drummer (since age 2), drumming influences and the various working bands he was part of as a teen. Also, we discuss his session work, including playing on some of Brian Wilson's albums and memories of Brian's working methods. He reflects on how he wound up in Styx and we take a look at the various Styx albums he's been part of with memories and anecdotes for each. Also, a bit of info about the new Styx album in the works now that should come out sometime in 2021. We discuss his kits over the years and Todd gives us a tour of his drum studio as well. He released his first solo album this year as well which we discuss- Last Flight Home.