Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

**For Episode #99 we take a look "under the hood" and dissect two progressive rock classics from Genesis. Pianist/Music Educator Bill Graham drops by to shed light on Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks' compositional style. Opening the show we talk about how we first heard Genesis music and came to play it on certain occasions. We also discuss Bill's excellent musical YouTube channel, BillGrahamMusic. Next, Bill points out a few of Tony's most widely used approaches to chord inversions and motifs. After that, we dig into the opening cut from the Foxtrot album, the anthem "Watcher of the Skies". "Firth of Fifth" from Selling England By The Pound follows that. We wrap up the show with a look at Bank's style vs his prog rock contemporaries- Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. Also, we discuss the musical vocabularies of Yes, King Crimson, ELP and how they differ greatly from Genesis. We intended to discuss "Supper's Ready" and "One For The Vine" but decided to save those for another episode later this year. These two songs alone offered a lot of info to unpack so we decided to stop before we went into overload. Stay tuned for Part 2! This is a show based on music theory talk, but we hope it proves to be entertaining for everyone. It's a good chance to hear pieces of these songs isolated, and that can be pretty fun.

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Annie Haslam of Renaissance- July 10th
    * Jan Akkerman (Focus)- July 24th
    * Peter Erskine- (Weather Report, Steely Dan, Jaco Pastorius)- July 31st

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Banned
    I wish I knew music theory well enough to comprehend these creations like the way this guy does. When I first heard Genesis, just listening was challenging and it took multiple listenings to enjoy it. As Bill Graham here says Tony Banks doesn’t think about it, when he composes/performs, it just comes out from the overall musical idea. You will likely get more from this dissection, than I did. The variation in chord use over the songs is very interesting, and is consistent with what I hear.

This weekend was the 100th episode of my musical talk show and Annie Haslam dropped to chat about all sorts of cool stuff.

Thanks everyone for making the show a success these past thirteen months! Can't thank you enough. I'm going on hiatus for the rest of the summer while I settle into a new job as a manager of a music store here in Atlanta. Please check out our past shows here. There's some from early last year that could use a little love. https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Please excuse a few quick glitches. WiFi and Zoom sometimes are a little sticky but it passes quick and you can get the jist well enough of what Annie is saying from time to time.

For our 100th Episode we caught up with Annie Haslam, vocalist for the wonderful prog group Renaissance. We discussed her current musical projects, including a new song with Yes' Geoff Downes that's a tribute to the late, great John Wetton. Next we talk about the new live album that celebrates Renaissances' 50th Anniversary- "50th Anniversary – Ashes Are Burning: An Anthology – Live In Concert" We look back on Annie's audition for Renaissance next and discuss what she was doing just prior to it. Our chat turns to talk of art and her paintings next. We discuss how she came to be a painter and her inspirations from this world and beyond. Future live dates with Renaissance are also discussed...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This weekend was the 100th episode of my musical talk show and Annie Haslam dropped to chat about all sorts of cool stuff.

Thanks everyone for making the show a success these past thirteen months! Can't thank you enough. I'm going on hiatus for the rest of the summer while I settle into a new job as a manager of a music store here in Atlanta. Please check out our past shows here. There's some from early last year that could use a little love. https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Please excuse a few quick glitches. WiFi and Zoom sometimes are a little sticky but it passes quick and you can get the jist well enough of what Annie is saying from time to time.

For our 100th Episode we caught up with Annie Haslam, vocalist for the wonderful prog group Renaissance. We discussed her current musical projects, including a new song with Yes' Geoff Downes that's a tribute to the late, great John Wetton. Next we talk about the new live album that celebrates Renaissances' 50th Anniversary- "50th Anniversary – Ashes Are Burning: An Anthology – Live In Concert" We look back on Annie's audition for Renaissance next and discuss what she was doing just prior to it. Our chat turns to talk of art and her paintings next. We discuss how she came to be a painter and her inspirations from this world and beyond. Future live dates with Renaissance are also discussed...
    Congrats on your new job

I just caught up with the Phil Manzanera interview from May of this year. What a sweet guy! I didn't know much about his career but your knowledge and questions made it very interesting and informative. The only record I've heard is 801 Live, so time to do a bit of exploring. Good luck with your new gig!

Here's this weekend's chat. I'm cutting back for awhile, while I get a grip on my new job. I can squeeze a few in here and there though... **For Episode #101 we caught up with Peter Erskine. During this particular chat we discuss his latest musical doings including his teaching via ZOOM and the improvements that have come in the past year for musical ZOOM conferencing. Also, his association with Rush drummer Neil Peart, who he taught for awhile in the 2010s. Peter was part of Steely Dan's first tour since 1974. Their 1993 tour reunion tour. He discusses memories of the tour and Fagen and Becker's style and musical ideals during the tour. Peter will be back for another episode down the road, so stay tuned!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sounds really interesting. Are you enjoying the management position?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, so far. Beats being told what to do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's this weekend's chat. I'm cutting back for awhile, while I get a grip on my new job. I can squeeze a few in here and there though... **For Episode #101 we caught up with Peter Erskine. During this particular chat we discuss his latest musical doings including his teaching via ZOOM and the improvements that have come in the past year for musical ZOOM conferencing. Also, his association with Rush drummer Neil Peart, who he taught for awhile in the 2010s. Peter was part of Steely Dan's first tour since 1974. Their 1993 tour reunion tour. He discusses memories of the tour and Fagen and Becker's style and musical ideals during the tour. Peter will be back for another episode down the road, so stay tuned!

That was fun, partly because I was a garage band drummer in the 60’s, and I tremendous respect for professional drummers like Peter. Very disciplined to play other folks music precisely. He referred to some live work with Steely Dan in 1993. Later in the show, he talked about how much he didn’t like the version of the song Reelin in the Years he had to perform. He didn’t like it so much, he came up with a way to minimize how he was hearing from the band during the performance. He just played what he thought the song was, much to Fagan’s delight after the fact. Could this video be the performance, it certainly sounds like a Yacht rocked up version:

Banned

I just wrapped up a leisurely chat with original Yes keyboardist, Tony Kaye I think many of you will enjoy. It was great to get a chance to discuss his amazing career. **For Episode #102 we caught up with original Yes keyboardist, Tony Kaye. We discuss many things, including his new solo album, the cinematic End Of Innocence. A mostly instrumental album that chronicles the events of September 11, 2001. Now available on Cherry Red Records. We also chat about his work with Yes over the years. A special look at the first Yes and the two albums they recorded. His love of the Hammond organ and his inspirations and how he got such an amazing, edgy tone out of it. He gives his thoughts on current Hammond emulations and gives a breakdown of the keys he used on End of Innocence too. The albums from the Trevor Rabin era Tony was part of get discussed as well with a look at his contributions to those from a writing and playing standpoint. Memories of the Yes band house, performing on TV in Holland and elsewhere and touring with David Bowie come up as well. And much more!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Wow! I'm a huge Tony Kaye fan. I'll be tuning in for sure.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm still managing to do a couple shows a month. Here's the latest....

Here's today's chat with Utopia/Todd Rundgren bassist Kasim Sulton. He dropped by to talk about his new solo album, Kasim 2021. We also discuss the upcoming Todd tour playing A Wizard A True Star, his days with Blue Oyster Cult, Meatloaf and Utopia. We go over some gear talk too. Check it out! Episode #103.

The Genesis analysis show with Bill Graham is very interesting. It would be great to do a Gentle Giant/ Kerry Minear analysis show with him.

I'll see what I can do!

I caught up with Aymeric and Henry today and we discussed King Crimson's history since 1975, right up to this day. We have a third and final installment in this KC series coming up in a couple months where we will look at the myriad of boxed sets and live albums. But for now, let's start at Discipline and work forward...

Awesome, Sean. You're a great interviewer
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Here's a new episode of my show, #105. Today I caught up with You Tube reaction video sensation, Doug Helvering of "The Daily Doug" VLog. We discuss his advice for up and coming YouTubers, his musical background and roots, his own musical compostions, possible musical collaborations, classical composers prog rock fans would like, how he managed to avoid prog and metal much of his life and more....

I admit, I don't think much of reaction videos and was initially skeptical of Doug's "Classical Composer Reacts To ______" series. After watching several of Doug's shows over the past six months my perception of his them softened some. I like the music theory analysis he does. That is what keeps my interest. He keeps it pretty simple so even folks with little or no theory knowledge can find something to learn.

Here's my chat with Police guitarist Andy Summers! **For Episode #107 we Police guitarist Andy Summers dropped by to discuss his latest projects including his new book of occasionally semi-biographical short stories, "Fretted and Moaning" and his new album of instrumental guitar, "Harmonics In The Night". We also discuss his love of photography, thoughts on prog rock, the albums he did with Robert Fripp, his use of guitar effects as how it evolved, jamming with Hendrix and more!

Here's my recent mega-chat with Kevin Godley too... **For Episode #106 Kevin Godley drops back by the show and we take a 'deep dive' into his history. This chat is in three segments- Early years and recording at Strawberry Sound Studios (which was owned by 10cc), A look at the albums and cover art for each via a slide show with candid comments from Kevin about each. The last portion offers up another slide show looking at a variety of iconic 80s videos he and Lol Creme directed. We discuss the evolution of video making as well.

For Episode #108 we caught up with legendary "space rock" guitar pioneer Steve Hillage. Steve is busy working on a big boxed set of unreleased Gong material at the moment, which should excite fans everywhere. Recently the reunion show from 2006 was released on CD- Gong “Live At The Gong Family Unconventional Gathering”. We also discuss some of Steve's solo albums like L and Fish Rising, early influences, his guitar choices over the years, the "glissando" guitar technique, his long standing friendship with Canterbury "prog keys god" Dave Stewart and more...

These are so wonderful, Sean. Thank you
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Going to have to carve out a couple of hours for this one.
    Should be interesting.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Great interview,
    Have to check our more of the Stewart/ Gaskin music.

Dave & Barbara : Song Talk (The Early Years)
    https://youtu.be/lPi6I4rQ0Vo