Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Had the pleasure of chatting with the legendary fusion violinist today.

**For Episode #75 we caught up violinist Jerry Goodman. We discussed the recent session work he is doing and then looked back on his amazing career. We discuss his early days with The Flock and his first use of the "electric" violin. How he came to work with John McLaughlin on John's solo album My Goals Beyond comes up next, leading to the creation of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. We discuss their seminal fusion albums The Inner Mounting Flame and the follow up, Birds of Fire. Their creation and the tours for them. Also, we look at the live Between Nothingness and Eternity and it's studio counterpart, The Lost Trident Sessions. We also discuss Jerry hooking up with the Dixie Dregs in the mid 90s and the studio album they did, Full Circle. Jerry's soundtrack work for Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin also is looked into. Albums from Derik Sherinian and other guest spots are discussed as well.

If you missed today's chat, here is the rebroadcast. **For Episode #76 we caught up with legendary concert promoter, Danny Zelisko. He dropped by to discuss his new biography, All Exce$$ and it's inspirations. It's a detailed, 300+ page book full of color pics and great stories that cover Danny's entire career. We also discussed the current state of live music and much more. Danny fills us in on what it means to be a concert promoter and all it entails. Also, we look back on great memories of him working with a who's who of rock and fusion musicians. King Crimson, Yes, Mahavishnu and more! Part two of this chat is in the works. Stay tuned!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks, Sean. I look forward to watching it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Had a great chat with Kevin yesterday that I think many of you will enjoy. We discussed his recent solo album, Muscle Memory, and it's new companion, Conversations With Myself. Then looked back on his days with 10cc and Godley and Creme via a look at several songs along the way.

Had a great chat with Percy today I think many of you will enjoy...

**For Episode #79 we caught up with bassist Percy Jones, best known for his work with seminal fusion group, Brand X. We discussed his early days playing with The Liverpool Scene, early basses and amplification and how he came to play fretless bass. The formation of Brand X is discussed next, including the years with Phil Collins of Genesis as their drummer. We take a look (via slideshow) at the different Brand X albums and Percy shares memories of each and we discuss various tracks and their inspiration, studios and album art. We also discuss his albums with the group Tunnels and his more recent work with New York based group, MJ12. We also discuss Percy's solo album, Cape Catastrophe and the possibilities of a new solo album in the coming year or so. Brian Eno, including his Another Green World album are discussed as well.

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * District 97- Discussing their new live release, "Screenplay"- April 2nd.
    * The Evolution of Steely Dan- April 3rd A close look at the building blocks of Steely music and how it became more sophisticated as time passed. Music educator/pianist Bill Graham is my guest.
    * Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Is Dead)- April 9th.
    * Marc Bonilla (Keith Emerson Band, Toy Matinee, Derek Smalls)- April 10th
    * Barry Andrews (XTC, Shreikback)- April 17th
    Coming Soon! -
    + David Paton (Pilot, Alan Parsons Project, Camel, Kate Bush)
    + Jack Hues- (Tony Banks- Strictly Inc, Wang Chung, Illuminated)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeO...63GQphg/videos
    Last edited by Sean; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:05 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Whoa, David Paton! Or should I say "Whoa, ho, ho it's David Paton?" (Pilot reference) That should be a great one. I think he also played with Fish (or did I imagine that?). I THINK he did, so ask him! Should definitely be interesting to hear what he has to tell us about APP and Kate Bush! Can't wait for that one. Oh, and Camel! Wow.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Ask Barry Andrews how he got the nickname "Hodah." I have no clue.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Had a new chat with Jonathan, Leslie, Jim, Tim and Andrew this weekend to discuss their new live album, Screenplay, and a whole lot more. **For Episode #80 we caught up with the modern progressive rock band to discuss their new live album, "Screenplay". We also chat about their next studio album that's in the works now, how they came to add Tim and Andrew to their lineup and how their influences have shaped the band's current sound. Also, the prog festival circuit, cover tunes and their amazing tour with the late John Wetton (UK, King Crimson, Asia) performing favorites from the era of Crimson John was involved in comes up. Personal musical likes and influences are discussed as well.

Sean, I'm a little unclear on whether or not these interviews are streamed live on YouTube or not, so are they?
    Also, is a date set yet (and time) if it's streamed live, for Barry Andrews?

These are streamed on Facebook as they occur and then I upload them to YouTube. When my YT subscriber count rivals my FB friend count I will probably air them on YouTube, but at the moment they get a lot more views this way. We're friends on FB, right? Barry's show will stream live in the afternoon of April 17th on my profile page. I have yet to nail down a start time but will share it once I know. FB sends out a notification when I go live too.

If you missed this weekend's look at The Evolution of Steely Dan music, here's the rebroadcast. We tried to strike a balance for fans and musicians alike. We do dip into some 'music theory' but there's quite a bit to enjoy when it comes to each song even if you aren't into theory. We take a close look at who is on each track in addition to how the tunes are put together. Big thanks to Atlanta music educator/pianist Bill Graham for co-hosting this one. We look at a tune from each of the 70s albums and discuss how the music got more sophisticated as the records progressed. We look at Do It Again, Bodhisattva, Pretzel Logic, Dr Wu, Green Earrings, Deacon Blues and Babylon Sisters. Also, we discuss how we came to love this music, a look at the reunion albums, and how Becker and Fagen reimagined classics like Do It Again for the 90s live Steely "band".

Each segment and song has a time stamp in the comments at YT if you want to skip around.

Last edited by Sean; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:14 AM.

If you missed our chat with Billy Cobham today, here's the rebroadcast. Big thanks to Eric Sanders (of the Yeti Trio) for co-hosting with me. **For Episode #82 my co-host Eric Sanders and I caught up legendary drummer Billy Cobham. We first discuss his latest musical endeavors including his new instructional series "Billy Cobham's Guide To Stress Free Drumming". After that, we look back on his days with the likes of Horace Silver, Miles Davis, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jazz Is Dead and much more. Billy shares great stories about the recording of Bitches Brew and other seminal works.

I caught about an hour. It was interesting but a bit technical. It was educational for serious keyboard players.

The Steely? Yeah, it was a bit of a theory-fest. Hope it was fun just to hear him play the bits of the tunes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The Steely? Yeah, it was a bit of a theory-fest. Hope it was fun just to hear him play the bits of the tunes though.
    Yeah it was interesting but it was like college. My brain hurt......

If you missed this weekend's show, here's the rebroadcast. **Marc Bonilla was our guest for Episode #83. We discussed his latest musical projects including playing with Harry Shearer aka Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap bassist, the tour and tips for playing live with an orchestra. We chat about his work and friendships with Kevin Gilbert, Ronnie Montrose, Lyle Workman, Eddie Jobson's UK, Edgar Winter, Danny Seraphine's California Transit Authority and more. Also, we discuss the recent tribute concert for Keith Emerson and the accompanying CD/DVD (available now)- "Fanfare For The Uncommon Man", and the album that Marc and Keith did together for the Keith Emerson Band.