Thread: New Credence Clearwater Revival Film

Banned

New Credence Clearwater Revival Film

Never seen before now footage and streaming on Netflix:
    https://youtu.be/aSgjNffYBdo

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Never seen before now footage and streaming on Netflix:
    https://youtu.be/aSgjNffYBdo
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Will have to check it out.

They put out six hit albums in 2-1/2 years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was a lot of that back then.

I'm always amazed when I consider how ELP put out five albums between 1970-1973, and managed to tour the world constantly
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

And nine Top 10 hits from 1969-71, several of them with flip sides that were also charting hits in their own right.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Interesting doc, which cleared up a query I had always had about Creedence: they were a Bay area band but where were they during the Summer of Love? John Fogerty, it turned out, was in the army.

Unfortunately the movie ends before the recording of Cosmo's Factory, so not much of that album is performed live, and it is also a plug for the "At The Royal Albert Hall" album released this year. But, besides that, it is a worthwhile insight into the band.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

At the time, the Sir George Martin and Beatles' concept of recording as an art form was still in the process of catching on.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Interesting doc, which cleared up a query I had always had about Creedence: they were a Bay area band but where were they during the Summer of Love? John Fogerty, it turned out, was in the army.

Unfortunately the movie ends before the recording of Cosmo's Factory, so not much of that album is performed live, and it is also a plug for the "At The Royal Albert Hall" album released this year. But, besides that, it is a worthwhile insight into the band.
    If you have never read it, John Fogerty's autobiography is a great read.

I actually liked the non-performance part much more... Like Stu said, "John has a way of cutting through the bullshit", and he does. I need to finish his book!

CCR in Australia (hilarious!)

Banned
    I just checked a YouTube release of “Fortunate Son” which is the same version as on Netflix. What the hell does the Netflix version look so grainy?

The performance is amazing though with John cranking out those riffs and singing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    At the time, the Sir George Martin and Beatles' concept of recording as an art form was still in the process of catching on.
    CCR probably had a two albums per year contract. Still common in the late 60's especially for up and coming acts.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If you have never read it, John Fogerty's autobiography is a great read.
    I must follow that up. Thanks.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    CCR probably had a two albums per year contract. Still common in the late 60's especially for up and coming acts.
    And they would spend a couple or a few days in the studio recording. Then go about their business when suddenly, their new album would appear on store shelves. It was a surprise to Sabbath when their s/t debut was unexpectedly in stores.

I have a super hard time understanding how John Fogerty’s speaking voice and singing voice can be the same person.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I have a super hard time understanding how John Fogerty’s speaking voice and singing voice can be the same person.
    No different than understanding how Tommy Chong can sing Blind Melon Chitlin’

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    CCR is one band I've never seen ANY live footage of (aside from that video for "The Old Man Down the Road" which MTV used to show all the time), and in fact Fogarty is the only band member I know of, so I need to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    CCR is one band I've never seen ANY live footage of (aside from that video for "The Old Man Down the Road" which MTV used to show all the time), and in fact Fogarty is the only band member I know of, so I need to check this out.
    BRO!!

YOU.

MUST.

WATCH.

THIS.

My personal favorite.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^^ Granted, that's before they had so many hits that they didn't have much time in their sets for extended jams.

^^^ Granted, that's before they had so many hits that they didn't have much time in their sets for extended jams.
    "Extended jams" meaning John Fogerty lead vocal followed by lengthy John Fogerty guitar solo followed by lengthy John Fogerty harmonica solo followed by another John Fogerty guitar solo, followed by John Fogerty vocal reprise followed by John Fogerty guitar solo outro. The guy's a genius but it's no wonder the rest of the band got fed up with him.

"Extended jams" meaning John Fogerty lead vocal followed by lengthy John Fogerty guitar solo followed by lengthy John Fogerty harmonica solo followed by another John Fogerty guitar solo, followed by John Fogerty vocal reprise followed by John Fogerty guitar solo outro. The guy's a genius but it's no wonder the rest of the band got fed up with him.
    Seems to me like he WAS the band. That was always my takeaway from this performance.

How about Jim Neighbors? He spoke with a high squeaky voice, but sang in a beautiful rich baritone voice.

Banned
    Seems to me like he WAS the band. That was always my takeaway from this performance.
    Not in the garage band beginnings when Tom the older bro lead the band. But John likely got picked on for the better.

Watched the documentary this afternoon and enjoyed it. The concert itself is pretty short, but I guess that was the norm back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Not in the garage band beginnings when Tom the older bro lead the band. But John likely got picked on for the better.
    Yep, but I'm pretty sure they would have remained a garage band if it wasn't for John's songwriting.