Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Technology is cool.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    UPCOMING EPISODES-

*Arc Of Life (the new Yes offshoot)- February 13th
    Are you interviewing Billy Sherwood? Ask him if he remembers when he was a member of PE! Seriously, who from AoL are you interviewing?

BTW, do you think you could swing an interview with Alan Parsons? That'd be awesome!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you interviewing Billy Sherwood? Ask him if he remembers when he was a member of PE! Seriously, who from AoL are you interviewing?

BTW, do you think you could swing an interview with Alan Parsons? That'd be awesome!
    I saw at least one SOAL interview with Billy.

"Seriously, who from AoL are you interviewing?"

The whole band. If there's something legit you wanna know, let me know. I'm gonna address all the speculation and even the BS that has come their way since the album was announced.

And yeah, I've spoken to Billy in person about PE more than once and he really didn't give a shit. Water under the bridge.

Banned

Had a great look at Frank's style and gear today. Check it out!

**For Episode #58 we take a close look at Frank Zappa's guitar style. Also, we look at his guitars over the years and his work with the ground-breaking mid 80s "sequencer", the Synclavier. We are joined by Zappa guitarist Mike Keneally. We catch up on the music he's currently working on, including a new solo album. Then we take a look at Frank's style and Mike demonstrates various pieces like Alien Orfice and Echidna's Arf, to name a few. After that we are joined by three techs that have worked with Frank over the years. The legendary Thomas Nordegg (tech for Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Mike Keneally and more). Thomas started teching with Frank in 1976. Bob Rice joins us as well. Bob worked closely with Frank for years as his Synclavier tech on ground breaking albums like, Jazz From Hell. Bob toured with the 1988 lineup too and also worked with the likes of Neil Young and Roger Waters. Merle Saunders Jr, also was part of the 1988 Zappa tour and he also teched for the likes of Michael Jackson on his 1987 Bad tour. The guys share many personal memories of Frank, and other anecdotes. Also, we take a look at the guitars Frank favored over the years and discuss some of the songs they are featured on.

Had a chance to catch up with Roger Joseph Manning Jr about the second of three EPs the band are releasing. Threesome Vol 2 was just released and we take a close look at it.

**For Episode #59 Roger Joseph Manning Jr drops by to discuss Volume 2 of the Lickerish Quartet series of EPs entitled "Threesome". We take a close look at their vocal harmonies and then dig into each of the four tracks on the EP. Discussing how each track came to be, what vocalists are featured, what keyboards Roger used, etc. After that we take a few minutes to revel in the greatness of Squeeze and Sparks. Then we take a look at the albums Roger did in the mid 90s for The Moog Cookbook and the inspiration and humor that went into making those records. To end, we talk about Roger's involvement with Beck and his fave Beck albums and live tunes.

Here's today's chat with Levin, Torn and White, for any of you that missed the live stream.

**For Episode #61 we catch up with Tony Levin, David Torn & Alan White to discuss their current doings and the reissue of their 2011 self titled album on vinyl. We are joined by their producer, Scott Schorr, who gives us the details on how the album was created, insight into some song titles, and where to get it now. Alan fills us in on the new Yes album, which has reached the mixing phase. He shares some info on who did the writing and what styles it touches upon. The guys share a number of great stories too. Like Tony playing with the hot tempered Buddy Rich. Or David being woke at 6AM by another David....Mr Bowie. Or Alan hearing Yoko Ono sing for the first time. Tony and Alan share memories of Yes' Union album that they both appeared on and Alan reminisces about the tour and sharing stage space with Bill Bruford. David also recalls working on Jeff Beck's Jeff album and the Grammy winning song they collaborated on. Scott fills us in on the new album he just completed with Mike Keneally too, MFTJ's "My Mom is getting a horse". Tony shares a bit of an update on the eventual next Peter Gabriel album too.

Sounds fascinating.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I NEED A HAND (By Dec 4th) CAN YOU HELP? The big prog rock magazine out of the UK called PROG has a yearly Readers Poll and one of the categories you can vote for is "Prog's Unsung Hero". This is a category for people on the periphery, not artists per se. There are dozens of categories for artists too this year though. Could you drop them a line and vote for me? I think between my musical talk show (SOAL Night Live) and the work I have done for 20+ years at Progressive Ears I should qualify. Send an email to prog@futurenet.com With the subject line "Readers Poll 2020" and then, in the email say- "Please nominate Sean Tonar for Prog's Unsung Hero of the Year". I'd be grateful! Cutoff date is Dec 4th so please hurry and thanks a million!
    Done and done!

Nice job on the one with Mike, btw. Happiest of newer years to you and yours, Sean
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Steve dropped by the show today to chat about his new classical album, Under a Mediterranean Sky. We talked about his fantastic classic guitar technique along with his travels to places like Petra and Cairo. Destinations that inspired this album. Also, we chat about him first seeing Genesis live before he joined and memories of playing with Yes men, Steve Howe and Chris Squire. He tells a great story about the making of Fish Out Of Water that I never heard before. Check it out... Steve has guested a few times before on the show, by phone, but this is our first ZOOM conference.

Coming up next on SOAL Night Live-

* Pat and Deborah Mastelotto on their new album, A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson - January 30th
    * Adam Nitti (bassist for Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Wanye Krantz sideman)- February 6th
    * The new Yes offshoot group, Arc Of Life - February 13th - All five band members
    * The History of Yes Pt 3- A look at Live albums & Solo works - February 27th With Henry and Aymeric
    *** Coming Soon- Steve Morse and David Sancious

Nice work Sean! Enjoyed it briefly but thoroughly.

Banned
    Wow what a super interview. Steve is so articulate👏 and inspiring 😎

Today I had a chance to chat with one of my favorite guitarists, Steve Morse. My old friend Bill Evans co hosted with me, he's worked closely with Steve and Flying Colors for years and it was good to catch up with him. We've been friends since the early 2000s back when I created KansasFans, all those years ago.

**For Episode #64 we catch up with Steve Morse and Bill Evans and discuss the music and creations they are working on for 2021. Also, we reminisce about Steve playing with Kansas, his love of flying and the planes he has, playing with Deep Purple, the possibilities of new SMB or Dixie Dregs music, possible reissues of his catalog, and much more!

^ Really enjoyed the SM chat, nice job!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Thanks, Chris. Yeah, that was a real treat. I love every musician that drops by. But Steve is right up top of my list of fave guitarists. Only Howe, Beck, Page or McLaughlin would be a bigger thrill to chat with. For me anyway....

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Pat and Deborah Mastelotto on their new album, A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson - January 30th
    * Adam Nitti (Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Wanye Krantz sideman)- February 6th
    * The new Yes offshoot group, Arc Of Life - February 13th
    * David Sancious (Peter Gabriel, Sting, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band)- February 20th
    * The History of Yes Pt 3- A look at Live albums & Solo works - February 27th w/Henry and Aymeric
    * Kick The Cat (w/Kris Myers of Umphrey's McGee)- March 6th
    * Jerry Goodman- (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Dixie Dregs, The Flock)- March 13th
    * Percy Jones (Brand - March 20th
    * The History of Progressive Rock Part 2- (1980 thru 1999)- March 27th
    And more in the works! Stay tuned!!

Caught up with Pat and Deborah today and discussed all sorts of Crim related topics and more! **For Episode #65 Pat and Deborah Mastelotto drop by to discuss their new album, A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson. An album that offers up fresh renditions of Crimson classics and deep cuts, reimagined in a tender and passionate way. If you ever had trouble getting your wife or girlfriend into Crimson, this album might just change their minds. We discuss the inspiration for this new album, how the songs were chosen and who plays on them. We also discuss their travels with King Crimson to exotic locales like Monaco, Rio and Pompeii. We take a quick look at the work Pat did on XTC's Oranges and Lemons album. Also, we discuss the various Crimson lineups Pat has been part of since 1995's "double trio" and how the repertoire expanded over the years. We include the background on redoing the drums on their rerelease of the Crimson album, The ConstruKction of Light. The thrill of playing Crimson classics for the first time in decades comes up too and much more!

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Adam Nitti (Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Wanye Krantz sideman)- February 6th
    * The new Yes offshoot group, Arc Of Life - February 13th
    * David Sancious (Peter Gabriel, Sting, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band)- February 20th
    * The History of Yes Pt 3- A look at Live albums & Solo works - February 27th
    * Percy Jones (Brand X )- March 20th
    And more in the works! Stay tuned!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos
    Last edited by Sean; 01-31-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Sean, my wife is totally open to hearing my favourite prog rock. However, I never play Crim because I really think she'll have a hard time relating. This album might be the best solution.

Thanks for the interview! Will definitely tune in.

Banned
    Today I had a chance to chat with one of my favorite guitarists, Steve Morse. My old friend Bill Evans co hosted with me, he's worked closely with Steve and Flying Colors for years and it was good to catch up with him. We've been friends since the early 2000s back when I created KansasFans, all those years ago.

**For Episode #64 we catch up with Steve Morse and Bill Evans and discuss the music and creations they are working on for 2021. Also, we reminisce about Steve playing with Kansas, his love of flying and the planes he has, playing with Deep Purple, the possibilities of new SMB or Dixie Dregs music, possible reissues of his catalog, and much more!

The conversation with Steve was so stimulating His sense of humor is comedic and entertaining for sure. Even though it didn’t have active video, the bright pic of Steve smiling was sublime with a glow of happiness. After the interview this video popped up. Just freakin excellent��

Thanks for checking it out! Steve is one of my Top 5 fave guitarists so this was a special one for me.

For Episode #66 Adam Nitti drops by to discuss his new foray into prog meets rock fusion- The World Is Loud. My co host tonight is bassist Stephen Cox. We catch up on Adam's current musical projects. Also, we take a close look at the new album, it's inspiration, direction and specific songs and their creation. Also, we discuss Adam playing alongside the likes of "Yacht Rock Kings", Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald. We take a look at the differences and similarities between their music, fave tunes to play live and even the genesis of Footloose. We also go into detail about Adam's signature Ibanez basses, special techniques, and advice for avoiding issues with your hands.

Here's this weekend's chat with the Arc guys. Jon Davison was tied up in Barbados, btw. **For Episode #67 we catch up with the new Yes offshoot group, Arc Of Life. Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen, Jimmy Haun and Dave Kerzner drop by to discuss their new self titled album. First, we catch up on what each have been working on as of late. Later we discuss the genesis of the AoL band, the songs, the band's name and artwork. Billy shares details on arranging and writing. Thoughts on playing live and writing for the next album as included too. Other topics come up as well... Jimmy Haun playing on Yes' Union album. Details on the future of Asia and Circa. Memories of Yes and Chris Squire and The Experiment. And more... The guys were tight lipped about the new Yes album, so don't look for details on that one here, other than Billy is "pleased" with it.

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Andy West (Dixie Dregs, Rama 1)- February 19th
    * Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa, Alan Holdsworth)- February 26th
    * The History of Yes Pt 3- A look at Live albums & Solo works w/Henry Potts & Aymeric Leroy - February 27th
    * Percy Jones (Brand X )- March 20th
    * The Evolution of Steely Dan- April 3rd A close look at the building blocks of Steely music and how it became more sophisticated as time passed. Music educator/pianist Bill Graham is my co-host and guest.
    Last edited by Sean; 02-14-2021 at 04:20 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    30 minutes into it - that's a lot of fun, Sean!

Sean, did you know many of these musicians you've been been interviewing before the interviews? Is it just your PE-work that enabled you to get the interviews, or your musician work, or something in your non-PE work? It's impressive how many big names you've been able to get, and not just big names, but "deep" cuts of the people-in-prog list! Just wondering.

Speaking of lesser-known names, last night I listened to a CD of Steve Hillage BBC concerts, and Colin Bass was on one of them from 1977! Did he mention working with Hillage at all?

The majority I didn't know, though I was usually "friends" with them on Facebook. The first couple shows I did were with people I actually knew already, but after that, not much. I got started by asking people though FB messenger. Some I have gotten to know a bit thanks to the show though, and have had them back on again. I don't usually mention PE, just the show and share a link to past episodes so they can see who's been on. Sometimes I write their website instead of approaching them on FB. Not all tend to their fan pages there. Occasionally I work with a few PR firms, but that's the exception more than the rule.

I think Colin mentioned Hillage briefly.
    Last edited by Sean; 02-14-2021 at 04:38 AM.