Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm a closest Styx fan. Their live performances have been fantatastic in recent years. Just excellent rock and roll. Look forwards to seeing Todd's perspective on Styx.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm about 1 hour and a half in. It's a really fascinating interview. Todd has such a sincere appreciation for rock music. I'm going to finish the full interview after dinner but excellent job!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Randy dropped by my show to chat about the new album and more!

For Episode #52 Randy McStine drops by to discuss the brand new album from the duo he's part of with drummer/guitarist Marco Minnemann- McStine & Minnemann II. Their sophomore release. He gives in depth info on the writing, arranging and recording including a look at his guitars and bass used for the majority of the tracks. We have a listen to a couple key tracks from the album as well, and you can too. Randy shares details on each. Then, we go back and look at his career as a musician. His early years as a bluesy teen prodigy doing guitar focused albums, and then into his solo work and albums under the moniker of Lo-Fi Resistance, which featured Spock's Beard drummer Nick D'Virgilio as well. Randy's work with prog groups like Sound of Contact and In Continuum also are included. A fond look at Yes memories follows, before we wrap things up. You can get the new McStine & Minnemann II album here- https://mcstineminnemann.bandcamp.com...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    For my 50th episode the current lineup drops by to discuss their recent studio album The Other Side, the new live album Live at The Wildey Theatre and their current doings. Their plans in lieu of the eventually rescheduled live stream/broadcast. They have a great 2+ hour live "best of" to share on the 5th instead which should tie you over. We look back at early vinyl purchases and talk about their current gear. Then we take a look at their discography, album by album with personal memories and anecdotes. Some of which even the guys in the band hadn't heard. I added minute markers for each album in the comments.

Watched the virtual series Progstock stream of the collection of tour shows and it was awesome. Great sound and visuals from multiple venues including the Orion show. Its streaming on Youtube, but Mo felt that the Youtube version was compressed. I'm sure but its hard to beat the Progstock streams, if you have enough bandwidth for the HD video and great audio. Here is the link for the Youtube:

500.jpg

Wow! You all made my holidays early this year! Thanks for helping the show reach a milestone! 500 subscribers on our YouTube page!
    Have a great holiday season and a safe 2021! Here's a toast to you all!

Congrats, Sean! All the best to you and family over the holidays.

There is a thread for Part 1 already but I thought this one deserved it's own too, so watch this at either.

We did it! We made it to the end! It only took....3:18 this time.

To be fair, I added an extra 20 min of content today where we take a look at their ever evolving stage show before we dig into the rest of the discography. I'd never seen anyone find pics of nearly every tour's stage and look at them in a row, so I made one!

This episode covers the Drama tour forward to present day, looking at each album and lineup along the way.

Thanks again to Henry and Aymeric for the excellent roundtable discussions. We enjoyed it so much we plan to do another installment that looks at Yes splinter groups and Yes member solo albums sometime in February. Stay tuned!

I am adding minute markers to the comments section of this vid at YouTube, so if you wanna skip around or just hear about your fave albums, feel free.

And if you have yet to sub at our YT page, please do! - https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

And here's Part 1 for anyone that missed it. Debut up to Drama here-

Last edited by Sean; 12-12-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Saw it. Interesting as always. I laughed out loud when you (Sean) said;

Well, we have about an hour left, do you think we'll cover every Yes album left? (or something like that). And Henry answers....uh no....

He knew we'd need 90 minutes.

I'm going back and watching some other interviews. I caught most of the Dave Kerzner interview. This resulted in me listening to the Sound of Contact album, Dimensionaut.. Heard a couple tracks, Mobius Slip is one of them. Wow! The apple didn't fall far. It's like what I wish Genesis sounded like now.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 12-18-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Very true! Great album that was!

Wouldn't mind owning it. I really like it.

Banned
    Very true! Great album that was!
    I feel like SOC clearly has influences from Post Gabriel Genesis, Pink Floyd and modern Prog (ala Steven Wilson whose stuff is quite Floydian).

Remote View is one of my fave tunes on it.

I caught up with Kofi Baker today to chat about his drumming career. Playing fusion with the likes of Jonas Hellborg & Shawn Lane (for the Abstract Logic album), Chris Poland (of OHM), Zappa sideman Mike Keneally (Hi, Mike!) and Cream's Jack Bruce. We take a look at his father's inspiration and instruction when we was a young drummer, and also look at the places he took his style beyond his Dad's musical realms.

For Episode #54 our guest is Kofi Baker, son of Cream/Blind Faith drummer Ginger Baker. We look back on Kofi's career and influences, including early lessons from his Dad. Kofi's fusion inspired style was a perfect fit when it came to playing with the likes of Jonas Hellborg & Shawn Lane (for the Abstract Logic album), Chris Poland (of OHM), Zappa sideman Mike Keneally and Cream's Jack Bruce. Among others... We take a look at those collaborations and more. Also, memories of the 2005 Cream reunion and the inspiration for Kofi's own tribute- Kofi Baker's Cream Experience. The likes of Steve Gadd, Ronnie Wood, Tom Jones, Uli John Roth, John Bonham, Zakk Starkey come up as well. Also, Kofi's current work as a session musician for hire.

Coming up Tuesday.... The Stick Men w/Gary Husband.

Stay tuned and please subscribe if you have yet to- https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

The Kofi interview was great. He really loved his dad after all.

Here's a look at January's shows so far-

Jan SOAL.jpg

*Memories of Col. Bruce Hampton- January 2nd. A look back at the life of the Atlanta musical sensei/legend, with his friend and musical collaborator, Jez Graham. Jez has invited Jerry Grillo to drop by and join us. He just finished a new biography on the Colonel.

*The guitar stylings of Frank Zappa (and his guitars and gear)- January 9th. Former Zappa guitarist Mike Keneally is my co-host for this detailed look at Frank's guitar style. We also will be taking a close look at his axes and gear with three of his techs over the years- Thomas Nordegg, Bob Rice and Merl Saunders Jr.

*Jeff Sipe of The Aquarium Rescue Unit and Jimmy Herring's Invisible Whip - January 16th Another local musical legend drops by to discuss his latest works and take a look back at the groups and players he's worked with, including Col. Bruce!

The new Yes offshoot group, Arc Of Life, will be dropping by in January too. We're working in the date now. More info soon!

Thank you all for tuning in this year! I never expected to spend my year this way, but I'm real glad I did.

Last show of the year! Thanks to all of you for making the show successful. I really appreciate that. Here's what we covered-

**A look at the Top 25 New Prog Releases for 2020
    **15 Select Stories from this year's guests
    **Our choices for the Best YouTube Channels
    **A special holiday musical performance
    **Sean's Vinyl Confessions
    **The story behind the name SOAL and the band that inspired it
    **A look at January's Upcoming Episodes

Time stamps are in the comments....

Here's to a good 2021!

Banned

Last show of the year! Thanks to all of you for making the show successful. I really appreciate that. Here's what we covered-

**A look at the Top 25 New Prog Releases for 2020
    **15 Select Stories from this year's guests
    **Our choices for the Best YouTube Channels
    **A special holiday musical performance
    **Sean's Vinyl Confessions
    **The story behind the name SOAL and the band that inspired it
    **A look at January's Upcoming Episodes

Time stamps are in the comments....

Here's to a good 2021!
    Spoiler Alert

That bit about the gel on the model, that was on the Jellyfish album “Bellybutton” is a classic😁 And the first thing I thought was a blue gel toothpaste, I wouldn’t have picked Crest😉 I guess they had a team effort to lick that gel off😆

For Episode #57 we look back on the life and times of a Southern music legend- Col. Bruce Hampton. We're joined by keyboardist Jez Graham and biographer Jerry Grillo. Both of which are old friends of Bruce's and occasional collaborators. We discuss Jerry's new Col. Bruce biography, "The Music and Mythocracy of Col. Bruce Hampton- A Basically True Biography". A take a look at Bruce's early years growing up in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood in the 50s and early 60s. Driving into the Sweet Auburn area of Atlanta to see soul and blues greats of the day. His love of baseball and days spent at the Ponce De Leon Ballpark. A close look at the Hampton Grease Band is here, along with details on their legendary album, Music To Eat. We also take a close look at Bruce's best known group, The Aquarium Rescue Unit, and also touch on others like the Fiji Mariners, the Codetalkers, the Quark Alliance, Pharaoh Gummitt, and Madrid Express.

UPCOMING EPISODES-

*The guitar stylings of Frank Zappa (and his guitars and gear) w/Mike Keneally, Thomas Nordegg, Bob Rice and Merl Saunders Jr - January 9th
    *Roger Joseph Manning Jr (Lickerish Quartet, Jellyfish) - January 15th
    *Jeff Sipe of The Aquarium Rescue Unit and Jimmy Herring's Invisible Whip - January 16th
    *Tony Levin, David Torn and Alan White - January 19th
    *Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree, now with Eternal Return) - January 23rd
    *Pat and Deborah Mastelotto on their new album, A Romantics Guide To King Crimson - January 30th
    *Arc Of Life (the new Yes offshoot), the whole band will be dropping by- February 13th
    Last edited by Sean; 01-09-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Nice line up Sean!! I'll be tuning in. If you add a link for donate I can through a few bucks forward.

Thanks, Greg! Any donations can be PayPal-ed at seantonar@outlook.com

No problem buddy! Let me know if it worked.

It did! Thanks, Greg! Much appreciated!!