Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A short chat with Rick today....
    Boy, you sure don't get "yes" or "no" answers with Rick!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    He couldn’t come up with a joke, surprise. He should have done something like this:

Yeah, I went back and edited that bit out. Maybe we can get a few good ones once he comes back for a longer chat.

I've been on a roll this past week. Here is one more fresh interview. Thanks to Steve for the call today. We discuss his new biography, A Genesis In My Bed. We also talk about the 'genesis' of his two-handed tapping technique on guitar (years before Van Halen used it), early musical inspirations, the current Seconds Out themed tour and more! "two skeletons copulating on a corrogated roof...."

Coming UpAugst.jpg

I've been on a busy roll lately, the dust is about to settle a bit....

This Saturday my guest is Butch Trucks' (Allman Bros drummer) son, Vaylor Trucks. We will take a look a the Brothers catalog from "the inside" and look back on their history + discuss his own great music and group- The Yeti Trio, who have opened for the likes of The Aristocrats and Mike Keneally, to name a few.

The following week Dave Kerzner will be my guest. We will be discussing his various groups and projects, including a new one with Pink Floyd background singers, Durga and Loreli McBroom, called Black Floyd.

On the 15th my guest is Umphrey's McGee drummer, Kris Myers. We will discuss what it's like to tour the globe with, arguably, the hottest "jam band" on the planet. They are so much more that that though. Come find out how and why.

And on the 22nd we have a special "Progressive Ears Memories" show. My fellow moderators Cozy-Sean and Duncan will be dropping by to relive 20 years of PE memories. The highs, the lows, the saints and the trolls, the living and those who have passed on. Plus, a look/chat about prog from 2000 to 2020, the festival circuit and more. We've unearthed former mods Floyd and Raymond and even our creator/web guru for the original stand-alone PE, Lee! Who knows who else will drop by. Maybe....you?
    Last edited by Sean; 07-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Banned
    Coming UpAugst.jpg

I've been on a busy roll lately, the dust is about to settle a bit....

This Saturday my guest is Butch Trucks' (Allman Bros drummer) son, Vaylor Trucks. We will take a look a the Brothers catalog from "the inside" and look back on their history + discuss his own great music and group- The Yeti Trio, who have opened for the likes of The Aristocrats and Mike Keneally, to name a few.

The following week Dave Kerzner will be my guest. We will be discussing his various groups and projects, including a new one with Pink Floyd background singers, Durga and Loreli McBroom, called Black Floyd.

On the 15th my guest is Umphrey's McGee drummer, Kris Myers. We will discuss what it's like to tour the globe with, arguably, the hottest "jam band" on the planet. They are so much more that that though. Come find out how and why.

And on the 22nd we have a special "Progressive Ears Memories" show. My fellow moderators Cozy-Sean and Duncan will be dropping by to relive 20 years of PE memories. The highs, the lows, the saints and the trolls, the living and those who have passed on. Plus, a look/chat about prog from 2000 to 2020, the festival circuit and more. We've unearthed former mods Floyd and Raymond and even our creator/web guru for the original stand-alone PE, Lee! Who knows who else will drop by. Maybe....you?
    Wow, this is becoming an N-Dimensional Prog/music forum, another level.

Banned
    On the Dave Kerzner interview, maybe Simon Collins can phone in and tell us why he had that complete comb-over which hid his face at the Rosfest Sound of Contact show

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Coming UpAugst.jpg

This is an excellent idea! I'll be totally interested to tune in.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

RW SOAL 2.jpg

Rick is going to "drop by" again on the 8th for a longer chat. Mark thy calendars.

Here's my new episode with Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks son, Vaylor. We take a close look at the Allmans discography and the changes in the lineups as the years passed. We discuss Vaylor's unique infleunces and his great group, The Yeti Trio. We discuss his cousin Derek Trucks a bit too, evolution of the jam band genre, the Brothers use of odd meters, their approach to guitar harmonies and even the day they took his pic that appears on the cover of Brothers and Sisters.

You know you're getting old when the Allman Brothers drummer's son has a grey beard.

FYI My guest this weekend will be Dave Kerzner!

Kerzner SOAL.jpg

Banned
    Looking forward to hearing Squids

Had a cool chat with Dave tonight! We discussed his early musical inspirations, the evolution of synth sounds, and the various groups he's been part of. From his early days with Kevin Gilbert's Thud band, to Sound of Contact (with Simon Collins), to his own original group, The Dave Kerzner Band. Joining us is my occasional co-host, Fernando Perdomo, who just happens to be Dave's guitarist as well. We also discuss the various tribute albums they have done to honor groups like Rush, Yes and Genesis. Also, pros and cons of Spotify and You Tube, prog festivals/cruises and much more!
    Last edited by Sean; 08-02-2020 at 07:41 PM.

These shows are so cool - keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Sean. When are the PE interviews taking place?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

UPCOMING EPISODES-

*Andre Cholmondeley, tech for the "prog stars"- Steve Howe, Greg Lake, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson and more. He's also the founder and guitarist in Project Object, the Zappa tribute. August 8th @ 10pm Eastern.
    *Kris Myers, drummer for world renowned "jam band" Umphrey's McGee- coming up August 15th @ 10pm Eastern.
    *Progressive Ears Memories. Back in late 1999 I founded what has become the 'net's oldest progressive rock/music forum and community. 20 years later, we're still kicking. I rounded up all my moderators and collaborators over the years for a look back at 20 years of prog music chat and musical mayhem. August 22nd @ 10pm Eastern.
    *Rick Wakeman joins us once again! That 30 min chat was just a tease for both of us, so Rick's gladly agreed to another at Noon on August 29th!

Coming Up.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 08-03-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Had a great chat with Andre today. We discussed his tech work for Steve Howe (currently), Greg Lake, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Al DiMeola and others.

We talk about Howe's guitar collection used on the road, his use of Line 6 amps and how they have evolved/improved, and the Rock and Roll hall of fame ceremony. Among other Yessy memories/topics.

We also discuss the music of Frank Zappa, Andre putting together his Zappa tribute Project/Object. Also, the best way to approach learning Zappa's music.

Next week, my guest will be Kris Myers, drummer for Umphrey's McGee.
    Last edited by Sean; 08-09-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Banned

Had a great chat with Andre today. We discussed his tech work for Steve Howe (currently), Greg Lake, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson, Al DiMeola and others.

We talk about Howe's guitar collection used on the road, his use of Line 6 amps and how they have evolved/improved, and the Rock and Roll hall of fame ceremony. Among other Yessy memories/topics.

We also discuss the music of Frank Zappa, Andre putting together his Zappa tribute Project/Object. Also, the best way to approach learning Zappa's music.

Next week, my guest will be Kris Myers, drummer for Umphrey's McGee.
    Andre got me thinking about Zappa. Seen this?

For Episode #23 we chat with Umphrey's McGee drummer, Kristofer Myers. We discuss his early influences, venues, festivals, the jam band scene, balance of composed vs improvisation each night, onstage communication and more. We take a close look at all the UM albums through the years and get Kris' thoughts on each. We get a tour of his home studio in Nashville too.

Coming up next week- Progressive Ears Memories! I'm rounding up our "old gang" for a ZOOM chat look back at twenty years of PE. Duncan, Cozy Sean, Floyd, Raymond and Lee will be joining us. We will look back at the highs and lows, and discuss how prog has evolved, or not, in the past twenty years.

September 29th I have a two-fer. In the afternoon I am chatting with Neal Smith, drummer for the original Alice Cooper Group. Later, in our usual 10pm time slot my guest is sideman Lyle Workman. He's played with the likes of Jellyfish, Todd Rundgren, Sting, Beck and other luminaries. He just finished a solo album too, recorded at Abbey Road with Vinnie Colaiuta. It's instrumental symph prog fusion, the likes of which I think many of you would LOVE. It's really stunning...

I'm chatting with Rick Wakeman and Steve Hackett again in the next month. Both agreed our 30 min chats were not long enough so they will be back for another round.

In September Paul Green the founder of the original School of Rock will be my guest. Also, Dug Pinnick of King's X, Bryan Beller (Aristocrats, Satriani, Keneally, Dethklok) and Chester Thompson (Zappa, Weather Report, Genesis).

Stay tuned and thanks to all of you that have been checking out the show so far!
    Last edited by Sean; 08-17-2020 at 03:03 AM.

It all sounds great but I'm particularly interested in hearing from the PE gang!

Just finished watching the NEARfest episode. Well done! The 3 hour length was a bit daunting, but it was well worth it - very entertaining and informative. I was already a fan of Rob, Chad, and the musicians, but I don't really know you, Sean (outside of your postings here). You did a great job organizing and moderating the show.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

Banned
    I expect Sean to announce the Jon Anderson interview soon. Sorry to steal the steam

There's some truth to this rumor. It's just a 15 minute phone interview about 1000 Hands. Don't expect any dirt on Yes, there's no time to bring them up much. In fact, I'm going to tell him he shouldn't ever go back as far as I am concerned. That boat sailed in 2004 and if you missed it, I'm sorry. It was pretty special. It's just too late though and Yes is not anyone's "plaything" to assemble in what ever manner gets them off the most. Though many act like it is....

Clipboard01.jpg