Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: SOAL Night Live- New Episdoes

Had a chat with Stan today that covered a lot of ground including a new prog solo album and reissues of the first two Happy The Man albums. Seems they found the master tapes for the debut....

****For Episode #90 our guest was Happy The Man guitarist Stanley Whitaker. He has a new prog solo album in the works we got the scoop on. We also took a look back at his years with Happy The Man including early touring and the bills they were part of, the influence of the fusion bands of the era, ECM artists and Canterbury groups as well. We discussed soon to be released reissues of the debut Happy The Man album and it's follow up, Crafty Hands. Stan talks about his influences as a guitarist and shed light on HTM's compositional process. Stan retells the story of Peter Gabriel, fresh out of Genesis, auditioning HTM to be his solo band and much more...

There was a slight delay during our chat so please excuse a few moments of overlapping talk...

Here's the third of the three shows this weekend. If you're a guitar owner or looking to buy, this show is all about guitars! My friend, local luthier Dave Onorato was my guest for this one. **For Episode #91 we take the show on the road and visit Atlanta guitar luthier, Dave Onorato. If you play guitar or are looking to buy one this show offers up a lot of great advice on a variety of subjects- You may have seen Dave on Rick Beato's channel, as part of the Three Amigos series. Dave gives us the lowdown on how he met Rick and details on Three Amigos subjects/shootouts. Next, we discuss what it takes to be a luthier and how to get started. General care that any guitar owner can do is a topic as well. Dos and Don'ts when it comes to learning to intonate your guitar and other tweaks that are easy and often necessary. We discuss buying a first guitar and the best value for your buck for under $500. Even under $300. Thoughts on Fenders, Squires, Gibsons, Epiphones, and which have the most to offer in a specific price range. What the best string brands and types are as well. We take a look at how far amp modeling has come in the last ten years. Also, we take a look at some choice guitars from Dave's extensive collection and more!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Had a chat with Stan today that covered a lot of ground including a new prog solo album and reissues of the first two Happy The Man albums. Seems they found the master tapes for the debut....

****For Episode #90 our guest was Happy The Man guitarist Stanley Whitaker. He has a new prog solo album in the works we got the scoop on. We also took a look back at his years with Happy The Man including early touring and the bills they were part of, the influence of the fusion bands of the era, ECM artists and Canterbury groups as well. We discussed soon to be released reissues of the debut Happy The Man album and it's follow up, Crafty Hands. Stan talks about his influences as a guitarist and shed light on HTM's compositional process. Stan retells the story of Peter Gabriel, fresh out of Genesis, auditioning HTM to be his solo band and much more...
    Awesome interview with an incredibly knowledgeable and talented Prog musician

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sean, do you (or anyone) know what YouTube considers a “viewing” of a video? Do you have to let the entire video run for it to count? Same question for Spotify, actually.

I think I it has to play for about 10 minutes to count as a view.

If you missed this weekend's show, here's the rebroadcast. **For Episode #92 Denny Seiwell (original Wings drummer) & Fernando Perdomo drop by to discuss their fantastic new album- Ram On – The 50th Anniversary Tribute to Paul & Linda McCartney’s Ram, on the Cherry Red Records label. We discuss how they first met and started collaborating a number of years back. Then we talk about the inspiration to record this tribute to Ram, to celebrate it's 50th anniversary and it's cast of over a hundred musicians that appear on it. Next, we look at each song- track by track. Denny discusses memories of the original tracks being recorded and then Fernando and Denny discuss the new version. We also discuss other big Paul classics Denny played on like "Live and Let Die" and "My Love".

I think I it has to play for about 10 minutes to count as a view.
    Would that be for any video that's over 10 minutes? I'll try asking on Reddit, and if I get any info I'll mention it here. It'd be good to know, I think. (Not that I've ever watched less that 10 minutes of one of your videos! )

Not sure.

It was a real treat to chat with Phil today about so many phases of his amazing career. Check it out-

**For Episode #93 Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera drops by to discuss his new album with Tim Finn of Crowded House/Split Enz fame, Caught By The Heart, and it's new single/video. We take a look his approach to textural guitar playing and the effects he had as his sonic palette in the early days of Roxy. His iconic Gibson Firebird and other axes he owned over the years, including his white Strat use on the first Roxy album, are discussed next. We discuss his collaborations with Brian Eno, Robert Wyatt, David Gilmour, John Wetton and more. We look briefly at the formation of the 801 band and Phil finding a young Simon Phillips on drums. And more!

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * The History of King Crimson Part 1- 1969-1974 June 5th w/Henry Potts and Aymeric Leroy
    * Derek Shulman (Gentle Giant) on the new Steven Wilson remix of Freehand and more!- June 12th
    * Members of the California Guitar Trio- June 19th
    * The Music Of Genesis- From The Inside Out - A look at their compositional hallmarks w/Bill Graham June 27th
    COMING SOON-
    + Styx on their new album, Crash of the Crown

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sean, your interview with Anthony Garone was actually one of my favourites. So intelligent and well spoken. I'm tempted to buy his book.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Your current line-up is ALL interesting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Phil interview must have been a blast. Such a legend. It's getting late tonight and will revisit it tomorrow.

I can't turn it off! Your just talking about Ehoes (which I saw played by Phil, David, and Richard in Toronto at Massey Hall). It was pure magic. I will never forget it.

Thanks, Greg!

BTW We reached 1000 subscribers over at the show's YouTube page today!! And 60,000 views! Not bad for a year's hard work!

Thanks to everyone that made it happen! Much love to ya!

Henry, Aymeric and I teamed up once again to take a look at a band's catalog and history. We took a four part look at Yes that was pretty well received and enjoyed it so much we decided to make this an ongoing "History Of" series. We kicked around a few ideas and decided King Crimson would be the next group we wanted to discuss next. Here's part 1. Part 2 will deal with everything we didn't talk about this time, sometime in August.

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Derek Shulman (Gentle Giant) on the new Steven Wilson remix of Freehand and more!- June 12th
    * Paul Richards and Bert Lams of the California Guitar Trio- June 19th
    * The Music Of Genesis- From The Inside Out - A look at their compositional hallmarks w/Bill Graham June 27th
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

I can't keep up with all of these but I'm gonna listen to the Bruford episode. Also caught the Derek Shulman interview from last summer.

Here's this week's chat with Derek!

Had a great chat with "the world's busiest bass player today" I think a lot of you will enjoy... It's a mere 30 minutes too. I know a lot of these are waaay long, but this one is pretty concise.

For Episode #97 we caught up with "the world's busiest bass player", Nathan East. We discussed the upcoming Clapton summer tour, along with iconic songs like "Tears In Heaven" and "Change The World". We also chat about his long love of Yamaha basses, perfect pitch, his roots in aviation, other musicians that are pilots, his talents as a magician and memorable gigs he's seen and been part of including Live Aid. We also touch on his playing with Kenny Loggins and the iconic bass line Nathan wrote for "Footloose", backing up George Harrison on late 90s tour of Japan and co-writing "Easy Lover" with Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey.

Got quite a month coming up too!

UPCOMING EPISODES-
    * Paul Richards and Bert Lams of the California Guitar Trio- June 19th
    * The Music Of Genesis- From The Inside Out - A look at their compositional hallmarks w/Bill Graham- June 27th
    * Annie Haslam of Renaissance- July 10th
    * Jan Akkerman (Focus)- July 24th
    * Peter Erskine- (Weather Report, Steely Dan, Jaco Pastorius)- July 31st

ALSO COMING IN JULY-
    + Leland Sklar- (Jackson Browne, Phil Collins, Billy Cobham)
    + Steve Rothery- (Marillion)
    + Chapman Stick Chat w/Greg Howard and Rob Martino

Sean, are you also doing Jean Luc Ponty?

Tonight I did a special show for our 1st Anniversary. Thanks a million to all of you for tuning in this past year. You helped turn a shitty year into a great one and gave me a reason to keep pushing forward when I really needed one.

Episode #86 celebrates the first anniversary of our debut episode. I am joined by my original co-host, Stephen Cox. Our first guest ever drops back by too- Anthony Mancini. Also, Ron Fuchs drops by to talk about his new talk show- ProgNaut. Then we watch the first of three reels of select stories shared by various guests we've had on in the past year. Tales from the likes of Tony Levin, Alan White, Steve Morse, Billy Cobham, Jeff Sipe, David Sancious, Kevin Godley, David Torn, Chad Wackerman, Andy West, Adam Nitti, Pat & Deborah Mastelotto, Steve Hackett, Mike Keneally, Percy Jones, Jerry Goodman, Roger Joseph Manning Jr and more!
    Bravo on this, man. I remember this as one of the high points of last year. Really helped keep a smile on my face... no tall order in 2020. Thanks so much
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Sean, are you also doing Jean Luc Ponty?
    It's in the works but not nailed down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Bravo on this, man. I remember this as one of the high points of last year. Really helped keep a smile on my face... no tall order in 2020. Thanks so much
    Thanks so much. The pleasure was mine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Double Bravo

If you missed this weekend's chat with Paul and Bert from The California Guitar Trio, fear not! Here's the rebroadcast.

**For Episode #98 we caught up with Paul Richards and Bert Lams from The California Guitar Trio. They are getting ready to go on tour, opening for the first leg of the King Crimson summer tour. We discuss the tour, their albums, how they decide what covers to play and arrange, how they met originally, the origin of their name, memories of their days in Robert Fripp's Guitar Craft course and much more! We also talked about the Crimson vocabulary, their early bands, different kinds of guitars (classical, 12 string, electrics), the best way to mic an acoustic, piezo pickups and their limitations and the trio opening for King Crimson on their 1995 tour.

Any sign of Barry Andrews?