Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gösta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik out July 24

Gösta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik out July 24

I know there are plenty of fans here... my review of the new Gösta Berlings Saga album is now up - I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/gost...sik-insideout/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good news!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Second video now out:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That video was great!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    That video was great!
    Also me on 7/24 ( probably )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I like this one. I think its a much better album then their previous one, Et Ex. I still prefer the more 'organic sound' of the first couple but this one has a lot more energy and intensity.

And they are still developing their sound, which is always a good thing. I hope they will tour (when this pestilence is over).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm liking this one a lot, I was wondering if they'd lost their mojo but this is a good un.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like it very much myself. It seems they've been experimenting with dance/electronica sounds and the result is very fresh and interesting.

The samples I've heard make me want to hurl. Looks like I've reached the end of the road with GBS. Been flirting with that for several records, but this one is the "off the cliff" moment for me. Too bad.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The samples I've heard make me want to hurl. Looks like I've reached the end of the road with GBS. Been flirting with that for several records, but this one is the "off the cliff" moment for me. Too bad.

Bill
    Wow, too bad. I like this one as much as Detta Har Hant.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

I'm with Marco - it's their best since Detta Har Hant!!! Really enjoying it. A lot.
    The Prog Corner

Bill
    I wouldn't think samples are a good way of getting an idea what this band's albums are about. But I'm not sure what would make this music hurl-worthy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I wouldn't think samples are a good way of getting an idea what this band's albums are about. But I'm not sure what would make this music hurl-worthy anyway.
    Well, I think the electronics can be a showstopper for someone like me, who does not like electronic sounds.

However when you listen to the whole album there is also a lot of fat bass, some intense drumming and subtle guitar. I like the album, despite the electronics.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Well, I think the electronics can be a showstopper for someone like me, who does not like electronic sounds.

However when you listen to the whole album there is also a lot of fat bass, some intense drumming and subtle guitar. I like the album, despite the electronics.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk
    I hear you. One of the reasons why I stopped listening to samples, as I found it didn't give me a real idea of what the album would sound like when it comes to any kind of experimental music. 30-45 seconds of each song is often not enough.

I was referring to the full song samples, one of which was posted in this thread. There's at least two of them out there, if not three, and I listened to them in their entirety.

My problem with these is not so much the electronics, but what is being played is just so goddamned dull to me. It sounds like dance music, or soundtrack music. They've flirted with this kind of thing in the past, particularly on the last album. I do not, and have never, liked this kind of stuff. What really makes me hurl is saying goodbye to a band I used to like (though honestly, after those first two, it's all been diminishing returns for me with them).

If others like it and this is the direction they want to go, fine with me. But that's my take on the album, and I'm entitled to my own reaction to what they're doing. And I don't think it's a bad thing to have a "contra" post in a thread like this because this is not the GBS of those first two/three albums. Buyer beware.

Bill

If others like it and this is the direction they want to go, fine with me. But that's my take on the album, and I'm entitled to my own reaction to what they're doing. And I don't think it's a bad thing to have a "contra" post in a thread like this because this is not the GBS of those first two/three albums. Buyer beware.
    I really like this one Bill, but I can totally see how some fans wouldn't, as it is indeed quite different from their initial sound. I recently saw someone's FB status: "Thanks to whoever posted the new GBH album on YouTube, you saved me 15 dollars..." so you're not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I really like this one Bill, but I can totally see how some fans wouldn't, as it is indeed quite different from their initial sound. I recently saw someone's FB status: "Thanks to whoever posted the new GBH album on YouTube, you saved me 15 dollars..." so you're not alone!

Priceless!

Because they didn't have to pay for it at all, or because they didn't like it. Musician shadenfreude is the best.

I was referring to the full song samples, one of which was posted in this thread. There's at least two of them out there, if not three, and I listened to them in their entirety.

My problem with these is not so much the electronics, but what is being played is just so goddamned dull to me. It sounds like dance music, or soundtrack music. They've flirted with this kind of thing in the past, particularly on the last album. I do not, and have never, liked this kind of stuff. What really makes me hurl is saying goodbye to a band I used to like (though honestly, after those first two, it's all been diminishing returns for me with them).

Bill
    I understand. I thought you meant you listened to samples of the songs, not entire songs, so that was my misunderstanding.

I'm realizing that more often than not, the music or artists I like you find dull -- and that's fine.

I'm realizing that more often than not, the music or artists I like you find dull -- and that's fine.
    It totally is! But sometimes I wonder if one of us is frequenting the wrong webstite.

It totally is! But sometimes I wonder if one of us is frequenting the wrong webstite.
    Well, "prog" and/or progressive music only makes up a fraction of what I listen to these days versus 10-15 years ago. But I've gotten lots of good suggestions from this forum for things outside of that sphere of music, especially in the jazz realm, plus I've made some friends here (I hope!) -- that's what keeps me coming back.

Bill

Bill
    I'm with you on this one (bye-bye GBS for now), because from what I hear this is still in the Et Ex road (at least too much for my tastes), though this is not final yet - I don't hate what I'm hearing either.

I'd grown weary of everything the Inside Out label touches, and GBS is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Well, I couldn't find the whole new album on YT (probably got pulled out after that comment), just the same tracks than Bill heard (interesting and very actual pictures on the Basement Traps vid, actually), and I'm not sold. It does appear better than Et Ex (which isn't with me anymore), and indeed maybe too cimematic for me - relying to much on the images for the music to survive without them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Listened this yesterday. Initial impression: quite interesting!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lorne, another stellar review! I only heard GBS's name on PE but never ventured into their music. Given that you listened to their full catalog to write this review, is there one of their albums you would most recommend to a new listener? I couldn't tell from the 2 minute clip at the end of your review, if I like the band or not. Need to explore further..
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Lorne, another stellar review! I only heard GBS's name on PE but never ventured into their music. Given that you listened to their full catalog to write this review, is there one of their albums you would most recommend to a new listener? I couldn't tell from the 2 minute clip at the end of your review, if I like the band or not. Need to explore further..
    You can sample their first two albums and their 4th one plus a live album here: https://gostaberlingssaga.bandcamp.com/

IMO, the first two are totally the place to start.

Bill