https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...reviews/2/buy/

Sloche - Stadaconé

sloche.jpg

Tracks Listing:
    1. Stadaconé (10:17)
    2. Le Cosmophile (5:40)
    3. Il Faut Sauver Barbara (4:16)
    4. Ad Hoc (4:30)
    5. La 'Baloune' De Varenkurtel Au Zythogala (4:57)
    6. Isacaaron (Le Démon Des Choses Sexuelles) (11:19)

Line-up:
    - Caroll Bérard / acoustic & electric guitars, percussions, talkbox
    - Réjean Yacola / piano, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, clavinet, Mini-Moog
    - Martin Murray / Hammond B3, Mini-Moog, Solina, soprano saxophone, tambourin, backing & chorus (1) vocals
    - Gilles Ouellet / celesta, percussions, backing & chorus (1) vocals, co-producer
    - Pierre Hébert / bass
    - André Roberge / drums, percussions, timbales, tam-tam, chorus vocals (1)

Here is what Mr Wellington had to say about it on Rate Your Music
    Sloche's sophomore and final album retains all of the delicious ingredients of its debut stew, straight down to the spicing on the steak that is the cover art. In some ways they've even somehow managed to outdo themselves. The stellar thematic consistency of their first album is gone, as are the vocals, but their void is more than filled with a boundless diversity in their songwriting. Those that prefer a more cohesive statement from an album may prefer their first recording, though from a start-to-finish quality standpoint I think Stadaconé just ever so slightly edges out its predecessor.

Stadaconé launches in high gear with its lengthy eponymous track, a kaleidoscopic journey though Sloche's unique approach to jazz fusion. An expanded rhythm section gives way to a more high-energy groove, which sets the groundwork for some high-energy modal shenanigans. This is especially great when we get to hear the two keyboardists trade eights on electric piano and synthesizer...building off of each other's ideas in a frenzied back-and-forth...until an ORGASMIC conclusion. Whew! And by this point the song's not even halfway over.

'Le Cosmophile' changes the pace entirely with an accessible beauty on the face of it, and yet it retains the depth I've come to expect from Sloche. 'Il Faut Sauver Barbara' twists that accessibility into a more abstract beauty, with stimulating complex rhythmic patterns that remind me of abstract masters Zappa and Stravinsky's finer moments. It occurs to me right now that side B has a similar progression: 'Ad Hoc' is a jazzier track, 'Baloune' is lighter and more accessible, while 'Isacaaron' ventures into a more abstract territory once again. Maybe this is more thematic than I originally thought.

Sloche seem to have made significant improvements in two key areas to my mind: as jazz players and as composers. The aforementioned dual keyboard attack is spellbinding, and the guitarist is at the absolute top of his game in 'Ad Hoc'. They've gone from simply a well above-average sound on the debut to something distinct and irreplaceable. The compositions, on the other hand, are...well...impossible to truly describe as music itself tends to be. Sloche makes excellent and creative use of every sound at their disposal to essentially brushstroke their collective imagination to vinyl grooves. From a composition viewpoint I can't think of much I prefer to this recording.

I can't recommend the two Sloche albums enough to those who are even remotely curious in checking them out

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

this album is a masterpiece and essential listening.

Totally love both their Albums, very original approach to Prog Fusion.

To sad that Prog Quebec closed the doors, I could use some more of these treasures...

One of the top 5 Quebecois progressive albums, IMO. And there were -lots- of goodies overall.

The other four tops being (IMO, again) by Conventum, Opus-5, Octobre and Harmonium.

Stadacone stands out for its stupendous combination of fabulous melodic and dynamic ideas, immense groove, fantastic performance and great production. Their first one is awesome as well, merely a tad short of this one. As I hear it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Greetings,

One of my favorites as well.

Cheers,

Alan

I definitely prefer the GLORIOUS debut - which is as good as it gets in the symphonig prog department - but Standacone is excellent too, and it would be a bit unfair to discriminate: it is an outstanding pair of albums. Maybe Standacone verges a bit more on the fusion side of things and J' Un Oeil more on the symphonic/medieval side, but that's about it.

What a tight band they were, it sounds like they had rehearsed for 11 years and then decided to record.

My only misgiving is that Sloche came so late in my life, and not when I was 20 years old - so much wasted time. They would definitely have floored me back then - while now I just love the music.

PS In Gnosis of the people who've rated both albums, and gave a different rating to each, the score is 14-11 in favor of Stadacone - a close race.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great album, they've got a very interesting and different sound, I like both about equally.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    One of the top 5 Quebecois progressive albums, IMO. And there were -lots- of goodies overall.

The other four tops being (IMO, again) by Conventum, Opus-5, Octobre and Harmonium.
    So Maneige is either not from Quebec or not progressive?

I am pretty confident you forgot about them, hence the joke. If not, it's ok, I will endure it.

Both albums are peas from the same pod imo.

Great stuff!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I find both albums to be near perfection.

For me, Maneige doesn't even come close, but I keep trying.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Great featured album, Trane! I came to Sloche in 1975 when I bought their debut album, J'un Oeil, as an import. That was an outstanding debut but I never followed up on them until a couple of years ago when I ordered Stadacone, out of curiosity for what I may have missed. Man, did I miss a lot. Agree with the above views that the debut is more symphonic and atmospheric in it's approach. Also, as the reviewer Trane points out on PA, the second side of the vinyl could have been worked out more and leaves one wanting more. However, Stadacone comes at the listener right in the face from the outset and its own brand of funk inspired fusion that doesn't let up. It's easy to see the comparisons to early Hancock and Mahavishnu, though their sound is distinctively their own.

Note that the boxset album shown on PA next to the two Sloche releases, L'Ultime Rock Progressif Du Québec, has two contributions from Sloche, the title cut from their debut album and Le Cosmophile, from Stadacone. Based on other Quebecian artists mentioned in above posts, this looks like a good one to purchase in order to explore that scene further.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So Maneige is either not from Quebec or not progressive?

I am pretty confident you forgot about them,
    Didn't forget about neither them nor Contraction, Dionysos, L'Engoulevent and other marvellous 70s progressive bands from Quebec. But I have to admit to not taking into account the newer acts like Miriodor, Rouge Ciel, L'Apocalypso-Bar, Muskox etc.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Didn't forget about neither them nor Contraction, Dionysos, L'Engoulevent and other marvellous 70s progressive bands from Quebec. But I have to admit to not taking into account the newer acts like Miriodor, Rouge Ciel, L'Apocalypso-Bar, Muskox etc.
    Maneige destroys Octobre, smashes their skulls, then coolly drinks their blood with a straw. On the other hand Opus 5 is on the same level, but it was a one-off (if I am not mistaken) while Maneige has 3 great albums.

I understand the people who struggle with their music though. I do too. At times it sounds cheesy, or too burdened, or unfocused - they don't come to the party without raising questions and doubts, while with Sloche there isn't a single objection. But the ambition is definitely greater in Maneige's case, or more adventurous. I would place them first along with Harmonium, and Sloche a close 3rd.

All this is just my opinion on it - and I probably have to give Octobre a fresher chance.

Stadacone stands out for its stupendous combination of fabulous melodic and dynamic ideas, immense groove, fantastic performance and great production. Their first one is awesome as well, merely a tad short of this one. As I hear it.

Mmmhhhhh!!!...

I find Octobre the odd duck out from your top 5

Not bad but their often standard song format sort of turns me off

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Great album, they've got a very interesting and different sound, I like both about equally.
    Exactly... why choose one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I find both albums to be near perfection.

For me, Maneige doesn't even come close, but I keep trying.
    I'd place Maneige atop of Sloche, sheerly because of the greater numbers of superb albums they made: sseven original release (only Images is bad) plus two great archives album and two Lasting Weep archives).
    I don't even know what the Sloche guys did after and before the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maneige destroys Octobre, smashes their skulls, then coolly drinks their blood with a straw. On the other hand Opus 5 is on the same level, but it was a one-off (if I am not mistaken) while Maneige has 3 great albums.

I understand the people who struggle with their music though. I do too. At times it sounds cheesy, or too burdened, or unfocused - they don't come to the party without raising questions and doubts, while with Sloche there isn't a single objection. But the ambition is definitely greater in Maneige's case, or more adventurous. I would place them first along with Harmonium, and Sloche a close 3rd.
    Yup, Octobre is definitely not in the same calibre of band, as the others cited so far, IMHO. 5though one shouldn't under-estimate Pierre Flynn songwriting)

The weird but great thing is that Sloche is a good mix of the first era-Maneige (their first two albums) and the JR/F of their next four (from NVNN to Composite and 6AM)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A real walk down memory lane.

Regarding Maneige vs. Sloche, everyone has the right to their own opinion, but Hugues is correct .
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I prefer the debut, but this is a fun one as well.

Put me in the camp that prefer Maneige to Sloche as well.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I need to check out Maneige as I have nothing by them but like Harmonium & Sloche a lot.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, Octobre is definitely not in the same calibre of band, as the others cited so far

Gave this a fresh spin tonight. I'm in the "slightly prefers debut" camp, but this is a very fine album. I was struck by some similarities to Kultivator on this record I've never noticed before. There's so much good Prog for Canada/Quebec. Sloche is at or near the top for me, but I love a lot of the bands mentioned alongside them.

I think I'll leave this one out and spin it a few more times. As much as I love these albums, I can't say I've fully "absorbed" them, Stadaconé in particular. Really a treasure of listening enjoyment and one every Prog fan should hear.

Bil

Well, totally out of my radar ... believe it or not!
    WoW!!

Thanks Trane and friends for your comments and we want more Trane!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Wonderful pair of albums - I rarely listen to one without feeling compelled to play the other right after. This was one of the first bands I got into when discovering Quebecois prog, and they've been among my favourites from anywhere since then. Proggy fusion or fusiony prog? Who cares when the music is as joyous as this. And not a weak or dull moment anywhere in any one of their ever-changing musical tapestries.

I know such impressions can be very misleading (c.f. Jade Warrior) but I can't think of many records that so strongly convey the feeling of a band having an absolute blast playing the music.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:20 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess I need to check out Maneige as I have nothing by them but like Harmonium & Sloche a lot.
    Don't miss checking out their first, s/t, album. There's riches all the way through to Libre Service at least, but the first one is the most ambitious, experimental and (I think) best.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:18 AM. Reason: I wanted to add a comma! So what of it?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

So many bands or artists I like only released one or two albums. Sloche definitely fits that category for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    So many bands or artists I like only released one or two albums. Sloche definitely fits that category for me.

Yes, this is a prime example of the conundrum that you raised, above, and one that has always amazed me at the sheer number of times that occurs in Prog music. One can understand it if the artists left a band for the greener pastures of commercially viable Pop rock or to write and perform music for movie soundtracks, etc. However, in this case Sloche produced two outstanding Jazz/Rock albums at a time when that sub genre had gained quite a bit of attention in the music world; then the members of the band seemed to have vanished completely from the music scene, without a trace.

This puzzle prompted me to search around by individual member to see what they may have performed by themselves or in concert with other artists. I discovered a few later albums by other French Canadian artists for which individual members contributed but they weren't actually credited in the liner notes. But, alas, I located an album in which three of the members played on and were credited for it: Caroll Berard (guitar), Martin Murray (keyboards & saxophone) and Pierre Hebert (drums) all played on Yves Alberts self titled World, Folk, Country album from 1977. (Also, I found a reference to Hebert playing drums for the above mentioned group Octobre, but not sure if it's the same person??).

https://www.discogs.com/Yves-Albert-...elease/4194297

Of course, the real, underlying factor for their disbanding no doubt was that age old nemesis of Prog; record sales. I noticed that J'un Oeil is listed on Amazon as #144,099 in sellers rank for top CD's/Vinyl and #298 for French music. Stadacone was well below that in record sales.

Oh, well, I will just sit back and listen to their two great releases and be glad that I am able to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Sloche produced two outstanding Jazz/Rock albums at a time when that sub genre had gained quite a bit of attention in the music world
    I don't think I ever came across any hardcore fusion fans who'd consider Sloche part of a "jazz/rock sub genre". Not any more than Camel or Happy the Man or Arti e Mestieri or Schicke-Führs-Fröhling were part of it.